Texas Cruelty Legislation

Nettie BodmerNettie Bodmer Texas City/ Galveston County/ Member Posts: 114
edited 22 March, 2007 in Laws & Legislation
From the ASPCA's website: TX, Give Prosecutors More Power to Crack Down on Animal Cruelty! HB 2328—Amends Animal Cruelty Laws Sponsor(s): Rep. Beverly Woolley ASPCA Position: Support Action Needed: Urge members of the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee to support this bill by emailing a letter and attending the hearing on Tuesday, March 20. State Rep. Beverly Woolley has introduced HB 2328 to revise Texas’ animal cruelty statute (Section 42.09 of the Penal Code). The bill will close a number of loopholes that have thwarted prosecution of past offenders. Texas prosecutors are frustrated by their inability to prosecute and convict animal abusers because of “loopholes” created by vague and inconsistent language in the current statute. The following are just a few reported examples of violent acts of animal cruelty that went unpunished due to these loopholes: - Skinning and decapitating a feral cat - Killing a puppy with a power lawnmower - Tying a dog to a tree and hammering it to death with a claw hammer - Bludgeoning 22 emus with an aluminum baseball bat - Burning a rabbit alive - Mutilating a live kitten - Stabbing a horse to death - Tying a horse behind a pickup and dragging the animal at over 30 miles per hour until the horse’s hooves came off and the animal collapsed and died - Cutting off a puppy’s ears with a pocket knife HB 2328 does not affect persons engaged in scientific research, hunting, fishing, trapping, wildlife control, farming, ranching or animal husbandry—all of these groups are exempt from the animal cruelty statute. This important bill is now scheduled for a hearing before the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee at 2:00 P.M. on Tuesday, March 20, 2007, in Austin. What You Can Do - Please send a letter the members of the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee asking for their support. Use this website to send a message! https://secure2.convio.net/aspca/site/Advocacy?JServSessionIdr004=cjmjz21441.app26b&cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2153 - If at all possible, attend the hearing in Austin. The only thing attendees will be asked to do is to fill out a card stating that they support HB 2328, and that they do not wish to testify. The sponsor of our bill does not want a lot of testimony at the hearing. Please call Committee Clerk Gina Chung at (512) 463-0768 for the hearing’s address and room number. Your letter will be sent to: Representative Aaron Pena Representative Juan M. Escobar Representative Robert E. Talton Representative Paula Hightower Pierson Representative Paul C. Moreno Representative Allen Vaught Representative Terri Hodge Representative Barbara Mallory Caraway Representative Debbie Riddle Use this website to send a message! https://secure2.convio.net/aspca/site/Advocacy?JServSessionIdr004=cjmjz21441.app26b&cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2153

Comments

• Tony BlackwellTony Blackwell Cardiff, WalesMember Posts: 1,019
    edited 19 March, 2007
    Asia, thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is awful. And for people to get away with these heinous crimes due to loopholes is just sick! I will most certainly send a letter to the addresses you've supplied. I'm not a US citizen, but I can still make my feelings known. Leida.
  • debbie shortcakedebbie shortcake Member Posts: 136
    edited 22 March, 2007
    wow! this really gets to me, because my family lives in texas! i wish i read this sooner, so i could send my friends in austin a heads up! they should consider animal abuse the same as child abuse. the punishment should be the same! thanks for posting this Asia!