Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Cat Abuse on YouTube (Part Two)

Tony BlackwellTony Blackwell Cardiff, WalesMember Posts: 1,019
edited 29 March, 2007 in Laws & Legislation
First off I’m posting a summary of 38 pages here and I have to say it was quite a task. But it was a task that needed doing and one that I’m happy to do. I apologise in advance for anything I’ve left out, if I’ve spelled names wrong or got members confused. I also apologise if I’ve got your gender wrong as well. I’ll post this and then try and make some observations. Leida. Friday March 16th (All times are PST) 10.46 – Nikki posts to say that she was searching YouTube when she discovered a video labelled “Singing Cat”. She described it and asked for help. She pointed out that she had reported it to YouTube the day before and it was still there. 11.02 - Leida viewed the video, flagged it and posted a comment. She also sent spiderhog73 (the poster of the video) a message telling him what she thought of him. 11.07 – Leida posts a link to the video and asks Catsters to flag the video as ‘inappropriate’ and to pass on the word. 11.20 – Nikki let’s the folk at Dogster know about the video by posting a thread there. 11.44 – Snow reports video to YouTube and ASPCA in NY. ------- I will not list each individual (wonderful) kitty who flagged the video – this is a list of salient facts and I want to keep it as short as possible --------- 11.49 – George sends the link to ASPCA in NY 14.00 – Leida posts account details of spiderhog73 (see page 2 of original thread). 15.54 – Leida points out the video has been on YouTube since December 11th 2006. 16.52 – Hailey reports video to ASPCA and NYPD. She includes a link to the video as well as a link to spiderhog73’s MySpace account. 17.03 – Ele’ suggests sending links to a investigative reporter in NY. 17.44 – MIA emails NY news channel. 19.09 – Ele’ reports that a Dogster member went to NYPD website and filed a complaint about the video. 20.06 – Amelia visits spiderhog73’s MySpace account and notices that he is the grandson of Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee. 20.31 – MIA posts to say that spiderhog73 has a video on MySpace called “What you don’t know about the blue cat”. 21.04 – Chrissy and Ele’ post to say that they can’t find the video that MIA mentioned. 23.03 – Amelia reports that she has written to PETA asking for advice. She supplies them with links to spiderhog73’s MySpace and YouTube accounts. 23.15 – Bambi reports that she has emailed PETA’s Media Cenre and “home in America”. She sends them the relevant details. Saturday March 17th 00.01 – Bambi reports that she emailed ASPCA in NY and also NYPD. She also reports the incident to Catster HQ. 07.02 – Mouse first mentions the idea of a petition. 08.10 + 08.24 – Blade and Tigga post a link to the YouTube complaint form. 08.29 – Leida posts complaint to YouTube including a link to the thread on Catster. Several other cats also fill out and post complaint forms to YouTube. 10.08 – Ele’ reports that she has contacted PETA 10.40 – Amelia post to say she has contacted a radio station in LA about this. 10.48 – Blade says that he has joined a cat video group on YouTube and started a thread about the video. 11.22 – Leida posts her concerns of the video being pulled and us losing the evidence. 11.39 – Hunter suggests that we need to save a copy of the video. 12.08 – Hazel says that her mom has saved the video to her computer hard drive. 12.17 – George says that he will contact a national news station. CNN and FOX are mentioned. 12.44 - McDuff reports that the video is no longer on YouTube. A message saying “Removed By Owner” is there instead. All our comments are also lost. 13.03 – Amelia summarises who has been contacted so far and adds HSUS to the list. 14.25 – Sebastian and Sasha (S&S) report that members of Dogster are writing to the criminal division of ASPCA in NY. S&S also report that they are going to do some research on Ossie Davis, the grandfather of spiderhog73. 14.52 – S&S report that spiderhog73 is Martial James Desir Davis living in Harlem NY 17.30 – S&S discover that spiderhog73’s father is Blues guitarist Guy Davis. They write to his manager informing him of the video. 19.22 – George posts email addresses for CNN and FOX News. 20.16 – Vincent reports that he wrote to Guy Davis, who was unable to find the video due to it being removed. 20.36 – S&S report that Guy Davis’s manager says that Guy is upset and is contacting spiderhog73’s mother. 21.07 – S&S say they will write to YouTube. Sunday March 18th 00.29 – Astro Balzac reports that there are two pictures of the cat on spiderhog73’s MySpace account – one has the written comment “smacks Kat”. 04.29 – Nico posts details of a similar case in Philadelphia (page 14 original thread) that turned out to be a hoax, but was dealt with seriously. 08.50 - Ele’ puts out a request that all Catsters contact YouTube and let them know how disturbed we all are by the video and their lack of response. 09.16 – S&S state they are going to write to PETA and YouTube. 10.11 – Ele’ posts contact addresses for Google and YouTube (page 15 original thread) 11.00 – Hazel posts to say that she copied the video but it doesn’t seem to work. 11.08 – Astro Balzac reports that he has written to news stations. 11.39 – S&S inform the members that anyone who has seen the video may have it on their temporary internet files. 12.19 – Astro Balzac asks if anyone has a copy of the video could they send it to him so he can save it to a DVD disk. He will also contact ASPCA, NYPD and PETA. 12.56 – Nikki asks all members to sign the petition she has posted demanding that YouTube take responsibility for the videos they host. 13.14 – S&S explain the problems of trying to download YouTube videos. Monday March 19th 06.05 - Leida posts link to photograph of ‘blue’ cat. 08.24 – George gets a response from ASPCA. It appears to be a standard response form. 09.55 – Ele’ and S&S report that they all had same standard response. 10.05 – Hazel says that Astro has saved photos of blue cat from the MySpace account. 10.08 - S&S say they will research and try to find the home address of spiderhog73 as ASPCA seem to need this to act. 10.09 – George reports that his mom phoned ASPCA in NY. Despite giving them all the details we have so far, they wouldn’t act without an address for spiderhog73. 10.38 – Amelia reports details of an email from Guy Davis’ manager. Guy says he will take spiderhog73 to visit ASPCA after school today. 11.02 – Hazel says she may have found an address for the Davis family. 15.28 – Mipo posts email address of ALDF (page 21 original thread) 16.38 – Amelia says that she has again written to Davis via his manager. 17.47 – Icebox suggests contacting Montel Williams and she supplies a link. 17.48 – Baltster posts a summary of links that have been used so far and on what pages to find them (page 23 original thread) 18.18 – Simon reports that his mom has emailed Ellen Degeneres about the incident. 18.53 – Kayla posts that she stumbled across a cat abuse video. (page 23) We may look into this. 18.56 – Madd-y-McCatterson post a link to Guy Davis’ feedback on his website. 21.08 – Amelia reports getting an email from Guy Davis’ manager. The email doesn’t answer any of the questions she asked, it asks who has a copy of the video as the family haven’t seen it. 21.19 – Nikki writes to Davis’ manager to assure him that the video was real. 21.48 – S&S report they also got an email from Davis’ manager asking if they had a copy of the video. They also report that they got no response from the ten news channels they wrote to. Tuesday March 20th 08.02 – Leida posts tutorial to find temporary internet files. 10.51 – S&S call for restraint = being polite is more likely to get a positive result. 13.24 – Amelia posts statement she received from the Davis family in which they state that the cat is ok. (page 29 original thread) 13.53 – Amelia phones PETA. 14.05 – Leida suggests that we tell the Davis family that we will back off in return for them surrendering the blue cat. 15.54 – Leida reports that she has found a temporary file that may be the video (I’m currently working on it along with Loki). Wednesday March 21st 07.20 - Astro Balzac posts that he may have found the Davis family address. 11.04 – Buster posts address of Guy Davis. 17.18 – Mr D posts video on YouTube about the petition. 18.52 – Astro Balzac writes letter to ASPCA, PETA and NYPD (page 36 original thread) And that’s about it so far.

Comments

• Tony BlackwellTony Blackwell Cardiff, WalesMember Posts: 1,019
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Astro Balzac posted this on the old thread: "For those who saw the video, please email or pmail me all the specific details that you can remember. I will put them all together, add a paragraph to my letter, and then repost it for all of you to see again. Anyone else with suggestions (taking it to the news, taking further action if they do not respond in a way that is acceptable to us, etc), message me with those too... this letter can be from all of us, and ALL of our worries and views and emotions can be expressed. just message me with anything you would like to see brought up in the letter, and i'll get it in there." Please help out and post what you can. I certainly will be. But not tonight as I'm (as we say in Britain) knackered! My thoughts from compiling all that is that such people as NYPD, ASPCA and PETA had access to the video for almost a whole day from when we first notified them until the video was withdrawn. :? And they didn't just get one complaint, they got several. If they had been a bit quicker off the amrk they would have seen it too. I hope no one minds that I've moved this to a new thread. Hopefully this will help us clarify what happened and who did what. Leida.
  • Susan MavesSusan Maves MaconMember Posts: 6,697
    edited 22 March, 2007
    Oh Leida, thank you so much!!!!!! That took some effort! Mommy and I have been thinking the past couple of days that we (mommy and me) needed to re-organize our thoughts so that we could get together our plan of action. Anyway, here is what we are going to try to get accomplished over the next three days (me and mommy): ~contact informant to see if we can get confirmation of correct address ~contact PETA, HSUS, and ASPCA again ~visit our local SPCA to ask for guidance ~may file police report locally ~contact Oprah and Ellen, Montel, and maybe Nancy Grace ~search temp files I'm sure there's more that we'll think of!! ANything we can do to help, please let us know!
  • martha ciatteimartha ciattei Member Posts: 3,158
    edited 22 March, 2007
    thank you dear leida!!!! :h:=D>;c; you are simply pawsome!!! tomorrow i will get organized again and contact people and very succinctly report who i do contact. thank you thank you thank you!!!|$||:|
  • Elizabeth CharonElizabeth Charon San FranciscoMember Posts: 523
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Great work Leida!! Thank you for this and everything else! I am still planning on making a group so if anyone has any ideas about group names, let me know. I have also been contacted by a pup named Samso on Dogster because they found a new horrible video we could work on in the meantime. This is why we need a group! I think we all could make a difference!
    edited 23 March, 2007
    hazel ;c; suggested \"paws for a cause\" if it isn\'t taken by anyone else...
    edited 23 March, 2007
    I actually got a reply from YouTube this morning. ::o \"Hi there, If you could please provide the URL to the video in question, I will be able to look into this matter further. Below are instruction on how to obtain a video URL: 1. Find video in question on YouTube.com 2. At the top in the address bar, you will see the video URL (example: ) 3. Copy this link and paste to email Thank you, Julie The YouTube Team A bit late now isn\'t it Julie! And I did supply a link to the video. Why am I not surprised by this?
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Leida, I think you\'ve done an awesome job with the summary, and it\'s great you\'ve got some contact with You Tube. Do you think they might be able to trace the video in their archives now that they have asked for the URL:? I wander if the door has opened for you, to have contact. I hope so. Good luck =;
    edited 23 March, 2007
    I'll see what I can do. I have just spotted something interesting though - spiderhog73 has closed his YouTube account. That means that his profile has also gone. :-k I'm going to write a nice letter to YouTube and see if I can't get them to help us. Wish me luck. Leida.
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Hee hee! This is also interesting. If you Google "spiderhog73" you now get links to the Catster and Dogster discussions about him. If nothing else we've named and shamed him. If his friends happen to Google his name, they will learn all about him. Leida.
    edited 23 March, 2007
    This is even funnier guys. Googlr "spiderhog73" and select 'Images'. There are a whole bunch of Catster kitties there. :))
  • Julia MundyJulia Mundy NorfolkMember Posts: 218
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Miss Leida, we think that you missed your calling as an international superagent -- because you certainly are super! Thank you so much for creating such a concise summation of the original thread, as well as for all of the work you did to communicate with the (apparently inept) people at YouTube. That is just too funny about the "Google" part -- something tells me, though, that nothing could shame this young man. We hope that he gets the help that he truly needs (and that the now-infamous Blue Cat gets the good home that he/she truly needs). Purrs to you, sweetie -- M&M and The Crew =;
    edited 23 March, 2007
    MOL The Google search is a riot!!! Well, if YouTube tries to dispute that the kid ever had anything posted, we can tell them to check out their OWNER'S site and do a search!!!!
    edited 23 March, 2007
    In our Google searches, using Martial's name, we came up with something interesting. The link below will take you to only a sample of an article that was written, and we are not going to purchase the article transcript. So bear in mind, that it could turn out differently from the way it starts out, but what is there makes you wonder about Martial's relationship with his dad: http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=NR&p_theme=nr&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&s_siteloc=TRANSCRIPT&d_origin=newtranscript&p_field_label-0=Topics&p_text_label-0=5479749&s_dispstring=topics(5479749)&xcal_numdocs=20&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&xcal_useweights=no
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 23 March, 2007
    I got an email from the not-so-bright-sparks at Youtube this morning which reads "Hi there, If you could please provide the URL to the video in question, I will be able to look into this matter further. Below are instruction on how to obtain a video URL: 1. Find video in question on YouTube.com 2. At the top in the address bar, you will see the video URL (example: ) 3. Copy this link and paste to email Thank you, Julie The YouTube Team" Bare in mind I already TOLD them the url in the complaint form I filled in:-/ So I told them AGAIN what the url to the video had BEEN before it was removed by the user, who has since removed his account. Did anyone else get an email from Youtube like this?
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Blade, Leida got the exact some message from YouTube. We haven't heard back from them.
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Right, now I've seen that Leida got the exact same email. I emailed them back and told them that they were almost a week too late in responding and I've found their slow response on the whole matter disgraceful. I said I hope they had some sort of backup copy on their database and it was now in the hands of the police and ASPCA etc (yeah..right:-/)
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Our doggie just reposted the petition link and also Mr. D's video link on the Dogster forum thread.
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Thank you everyone! Hopefully YouTube will get the message unless they try to say that it never existed because someone already gave the the URL?! Thanks for cross posting the petiton- we are les sthan 300 signatures away from goal! I am gonna love handing the CEO of YouTube that petition!!
    edited 23 March, 2007
    good morning! i got that e-mail from youtube and i didn't even POST a complaint! (that's cause i'm not a member, didn't see the video and don't know how to navigate around the site.) sky posted a good idea on the previous forum: that some exec from google gives to an animal safety org in washington (state). i'm going to try to contact them; should be easy. talk about youtube's irresponsibility to animals and people (kids being on the site). i'm also going to e-mail stephanie miller, liberal talk show host on the radio. she LOVES dogs. *UPDATE* on pet food: there might have been rat poison in it, AND the company may have known some of it was tainted. geez, we'll be fighting til our grave....
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Also, the link that was given to the article doesnt work and I when I searced for images under his name, none came up? AM I broken today??
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Well, the summary of the press release was basically that Martial Davis, in an interview or something, was talking about how Rap music is where it's at, and then went on to really badmouth his dad's genre of music. This was all done in a public interview/news release. His dad just had to love that.
  • Michele AshleyMichele Ashley Chattanooga/HixsonMember Posts: 3,161
    edited 23 March, 2007
    I have the screenshot of the webpage from the video complete with comments. Please pmail me your email and I will send it. I am sure YouTube can trace it down with that. I havent gotten a response from them as yet.
    edited 23 March, 2007
    There's some really clear thinking going on here and that's great. Screen shots are great ways to save evidence. I love the idea of approaching the Google execs. If this whole spiderhog thing has taught us one thing - it's to PAUSE and think before taking action. =; Nikki - what did you put in the Google search? Did you put "spiderhog73" without a gap between words and numbers? I know that sometimes different people get different results with Google searches, so maybe that's the problem.
    edited 23 March, 2007
    i wrote to pasado safe haven which sky says is supported by at least one google exec. i just asked them if this were true, would they be "assertive" in telling them about the situation and trying to stop them. i invited them to write me back. it's funny being COTD; i thought of tweaking my name to include reference to what we're doing but then thought, no... but i did tweak my profile some! should we maybe start assigning tasks of who to call who and do what or are we that organized yet? like finding google advertisers and contacting them? putting pressure on aspca (do we have an address yet):?
    edited 23 March, 2007
    I have contacted my "informant" to see if he can help us get the kid's address. And I'm actually going to have him look for the residence of the kid(if he can do this), because it occurred to me that maybe Martial doesn't live with his dad. I'll let you know whatever I find out.
    edited 23 March, 2007
    You may be right there Ele' - There was a reference to Guy Davis saying that he was going to contact the boy's mother - maybe they are divorced or living seperately. I wonder if all this was done on a laptop and whether that has now been ditched, just incase it was siezed by the police. :?
    edited 23 March, 2007
    I'm guessing laptop. In the video (the bit that we watched) you could see an open laptop sitting on the floor on the background.
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 23 March, 2007
    He has now changed his info to Spiderhog37 or he's got two, he has titled the spiderohog37 I am a new man and says he fears life will get worse!!
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Hopper, great work!!! And guess who put his cell phone number in one of the blogs....
    edited 23 March, 2007
    oh hopper! how fantastic you are!! ;c; someone quick copy the pages or record the number! and could someone check youtube for an account under that name? wow, we should form a detective agency. his blogs are disgusting. i wonder how the father would feel about them. looks like he's really getting consequences as a result of his actions if he's able to stay on his computer and do this stuff (NOT!!)