Cat Abuse on YouTube (Part Two)

Comments

• Tony BlackwellTony Blackwell Cardiff, WalesMember Posts: 1,019
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Well spotted Hopper! =; He put his cell phone number there? :-O Has the kid got no sense at all?
  • Susan MavesSusan Maves MaconMember Posts: 6,697
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Also, on one of his pics that he posted on this account, he labeled it as showing his mom's "bf" (boyfriend), so I'm thinking my hunch that his dad might not live with him is correct.
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Can I just say here - if anyone is thinking of phoning him or sending him a text message - please think very carefully about it. He's 16 and I think that might make him a minor. Don't give him the oportunity of turning this around and against us. Leida
    edited 23 March, 2007
    That's why I didn't post the phone number. I may be able to use it if my friend needs any add'l info to track down the correct address for him. But no one should call the kid. Especially since he is a minor! We didn't find anything for him on YouTube under the different username.
  • Sveta SSveta S New yorkMember Posts: 31
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Hi fellow kitties...I'm a new critter here. :-h Mommy told me she read every page of the part I thread and signed the petition. She's now going to try to get more people to sign, from other forums she visits. She wants to let you guys know she goes to school in Nyc and will be happy to attend a court hearing or anything like that. |:| She wants to know if there's anything else she could do right now?
    edited 23 March, 2007
    From what I've learned, it's very easy to change your user name on MySpace. If you do a search for spiderhog73, the original name of that account, you'll find him every time I think.
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Has anykitty come across the name of the kid's mom? I'm assuming he lives with mom, and we may need that info in order to get his address.
    edited 23 March, 2007
    I think that one of the emails that came from Davis' manager said that he was going to contact the mother - no name though.
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 23 March, 2007
    You are right Leida, if you search for spiderhog73 on myspace.com spiderhog37 comes up, that's not how we found it, but it is linked because he says "yes it's spiderhog73" somewhere on the new account page.
  • Elizabeth CharonElizabeth Charon San FranciscoMember Posts: 523
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Okay good work guys on the detective work. The smart thing to do right now would be to move this to a private group. Martial or his parents or even lawyers may be reading every word we say and if we do decide to take action this wouldnt be a good idea. On the other hand, we dont want to discourage new kitties from jumping in on the conversation and helping out. Is there some kind of middle ground?
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Private group would be great, and may help us to organize a little better. But anyone should feel free to post findings, feedback, suggestions here, and shouldn't think it will mean that they can't necessarily be part of the group.
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Absolutely! Keep posting here, but have the private group as well.
  • martha ciatteimartha ciattei Member Posts: 3,158
    edited 23 March, 2007
    has anyone started a group? someone suggested the name "paws for peace" which is nice and we'd have to make it invite only, right?
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Amelia, Paws for Peace is a great name. I am starting the group right now!
    edited 23 March, 2007
    It sounds like a good name to me as well. And yes - it would have to be invite only. I think that's essential. If we need to discuss tactics, we have to be sure who we are discussing with. Leida
    edited 23 March, 2007
    The group has been started. I invited a few kitties who were the last to post and plan on inviting the others later on tonight cause my dog is asking for a walk :) I think I set it up so group members could invite others.. if I am wrong let me know. Please be wary of who you invite.. watch new members! All are welcome but be carefull of spies is all I am saying. Talk to you all in a little bit! If you would like an invite..p-mail me.
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 23 March, 2007
    This kid is crazy - I actually thinks he thinks he is not going to be caught. Mommy just shakes her head - wondering why people do what they do. Keep up the good work.:c9
  • Christy MChristy M Member Posts: 329
    edited 24 March, 2007
    Mom has taken some screenshots/saved some sources from his MySpace. They're not about the cat, but they do show what kind of person this kid is (and he's got some terrible stuff there!!) That way we've got a backup if necessary. xo-Pippin
    edited 24 March, 2007
    when I posted my summary at the beginning of this thread, it seems I missed out the fact that Amelia had emailed Oprah (thanks Ludwig! ;)). have you heard anything about that Amelia? And I also missed adding about Astro Balzac's wonderful letter. :r I was supposed to be writing a summary of what I saw on the video and I forgot. Sorry guys - the last few days have been crazy. I've got sore paws from all this typing. MOL! Astro - do you still need that statement? Leida.
  • Anne RenaudAnne Renaud MontrealMember Posts: 31
    edited 24 March, 2007
    Didn't want to start a new thread since this is linked to what Ludwig mentionned about comments on YouTube. They relate to a video entitled Burger the angry cat. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=6yVj5OtbA30 see comments: Zameersidar p. 12 ravenhawknfa p. 13 dachrisman2004 p. 16 Rtree115 p. 17 poohpusher p. 20, 27, 30,32, 33 (discretion advised) and many others.... Really sad that these are still there since Mommy tried, on her own a while ago, to get these deleted.... Mommy knows someone whose cat was poisoned by anti-freeze....this is where criminal ideas unfortunately get spread around.... Didn't want to upset anyone more than we already have been...but perhaps we can add this to our eventual discussions with YouTube. Cassius and Ludwig
    edited 24 March, 2007
    UPDATE: Mommy checked an poohpusher's account has been suspended...which is at least something. She'll check on some others. But the comments should still be deleted...
    edited 24 March, 2007
    Thanks for posting this Cassius. I think it's clear that Burger is very upset to be where he is. I can't imagine why anyone would want to film that and then post it on YouTube. As to the comments - these people who post spam like this are pathetic. They hide behind the fact that no one knows who they are and therefore they won't get into trouble. I hardly ever read the comments posted on YouTube simply because of the vulgar and hateful nature of some of the posts. I don't know if you saw Loki's Superbowl video when it was on YouTube? He had quite a lot of that sort of thing posted there. Actually, it worked to his favour because even people posting that garbage was counted towards his viewing figures. The thing is - what do you do about it? When spiderhog73 posted that cat abuse video, there were lots of people who posted comments about what they'd like to do to him and how angry they were. There was a lot of bad language used against him. If YouTube ban the comments posted on Burger's video, then they should (by rights) ban the comments on spiderhog73's video as well. We are compiling the petition that will demand that YouTube take responsibility for what they host. Should they stop allowing people to post comments as well? What do you all think? Leida
    edited 24 March, 2007
    Oh that poor cat. I'd be mad too if I were in a cage!! I don't think YouTube should necessarily delete comments. There's a freedom of speech issue there. But because there are no age limits to the use of YouTube, it would certainly be appropriate to screen and censor comments. Again, they just need to be responsible for their content, and they are not.
    edited 24 March, 2007
    Oh that poor cat. I'd be mad too if I were in a cage!! I don't think YouTube should necessarily delete comments. There's a freedom of speech issue there. But because there are no age limits to the use of YouTube, it would certainly be appropriate to screen and censor comments. Again, they just need to be responsible for their content, and they are not.
    edited 24 March, 2007
    I totally agree with the right to free speech issue.... I think that there might be some allowable deletions if YouTube deemed the comments serious enough to suspend the user's account. e.g. if the comments incite people to violence, to rape, to murder...... I know this is a really debatable issue and it's not new. And personally, I am for free speech. I guess I'm quite biased when it comes to sorry excuses for human beings explaining how to trap and kill our pets, as I would be if the same type of scumbags would explain how to incite children to get in their cars, etc. Dangerous advice that can lead to crimes. I really don't have the answers, but I'm ready to help find some solutions with you guys. Cassius and Ludwig
  • Tiffany McConnellTiffany McConnell OmahaMember Posts: 30,862
    edited 24 March, 2007
    Hello! I've been following this thread, I see spiderhog37 isnt on myspace anymore. Or at least I cant find him. Good luck in the case, lets re-home that poor kitty! Purrs & Pounces, ~Chey~
    edited 24 March, 2007
    Just checked and he's still there. He was even online! :-O
  • Joanne LeeJoanne Lee LiverpoolMember Posts: 1,565
    edited 24 March, 2007
    Wow a round of apawse for every kitty on this just reading about this and everything you guys have done makes me so proud to be a catster member well done you all xxxxxxx
    edited 24 March, 2007
    Hi Smudge.. Thanks for the compliment and feel free to join us! That video of Burger is just aweful. I saw a clip of it in a compilation video called "demonic cats" or something like that. I fear that our work will never be done :(
  • Launawe ChristieLaunawe Christie AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 1,893
    edited 24 March, 2007
    IMHO, YouTube should show some responsibility in terms of what videos are shown and comments. I agree with "freedom of speech," but they are a company, and they can choose what will be allowed on their site. They do have "rules" for their users to follow. What YouTube now needs to do is follow their own rules.