Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Please help

Sveta SSveta S New yorkMember Posts: 31
edited 11 April, 2007 in Laws & Legislation
I don\'t know how to start - I just know that one of my missions in life is to help animals who can\'t speak up for themselves. How do I enlighten this world (or even a small portion of it)? Where do I start? Sometimes I feel hate for such a humanity that calls itself civilized yet treats its little brothers and sisters like trash. Yes, we\'ve built space rockets and computers but we\'ve neglected something very precious - our animals who are our friends and wish us no harm. So what kind of sickos do these things? I\'m sure they must have been abused to abuse small creatures, and I was abused too, but heck, sometimes I feel I could just shoot them. By the way, I used to abuse animals as an infant, not knowing what I was doing, but one day something snapped in me and I became their fierce defender) Something should be done to stop this, hopefully in this century. How many more dogs and cats have to die from abuse for the people of this world to wake up? I want many more people to consider adopting animals that are much more likely to be euthanized, like senior dogs and cats and etc... I want to teach kids it\'s not ok to beat kittens and etc... But I don\'t know HOW. I just want to do something to stop this and don\'t know what and IT\'S FRUSTRATING!!!

Comments

• Sveta SSveta S New yorkMember Posts: 31
    edited 23 March, 2007
    P.S.: Something tells me to stop animal abuse it would be good to begin at the root of the problem. I may be wrong, but could religious conditioning be part of it? Many people, for example, misinterpret the Bible and believe that it says it's ok to treat animals like they're nothing because that's what they are. any thoughts, anyone?
  • martha ciatteimartha ciattei Member Posts: 3,158
    edited 23 March, 2007
    i agree niki. and in the Bible, where it says man has dominion over the animals, i think that means not to hurt them, but to take responsibility and take care of them. and starting at the root of the problem IS to help our young people learn compassion. but these days everything is so violent. kids just become immune and think it's okay to hurt others and animals :(
  • Susan MavesSusan Maves MaconMember Posts: 6,697
    edited 23 March, 2007
    Well, ummm.....I'm not a religious kitty. Although mommy says the churches she went to when she was younger never spoke of animals as being "lesser beings". We believe that it's important to get to the root of it, yes. But truly, the root of it is people. And unfortunately we live in a society that is becoming more and more immune to cause and effect. Kids need to learn at a very young age that humans are animals, too, and that non-human animals experience things pretty much the same way that we do. Add to that: kids today just don't seem to be taught to take responsibility for ANYTHING.
  • martha ciatteimartha ciattei Member Posts: 3,158
    edited 23 March, 2007
    frankly i think the parents need to take more responsibility. this kid sounds like he had no supervision to me. i don't think they were surprised when we notified them. parents need to take a MUCH bigger role in raising kids and being role models for them...
  • Tony BlackwellTony Blackwell Cardiff, WalesMember Posts: 1,019
    edited 24 March, 2007
    You know what? I'm still haunted by the screams of pain from that blue cat as spiderhog73 (or is it 37 now) tortured it. Anyone who has ever had a pet will know that animals feel pain and emotions just like humans do - they also sense our moods and will even try to comfort us. A cat is NOT a Playstation. You don't treat it like cr*p and then go and buy another one. If that's the way you treat animals, then you shouldn't be allowed near them. Niki - I applaud you for wanting to do more to stop animal abuse. Do you belong to any organisations? Because that's a very good way to go about it. Maybe you could donate to a shelter or even volunteer to work in one. Because if you are talking grassroots helping - then those shelters are on the frontline. And find some way to educate children that cruelty to animals is not only wrong - it's disgusting. Spiderhog73 treated that cat like a toy - he did it for his own amusement and by filming it and posting it on a pubic video sharing site, he committed an act of gross indecency. And for what? Why on earth would someone do that? There are small children out there who could have stumbled across that video and through seeing it been emotionally disturbed. It's certainly disturbed me. And I'm not sure what disturbs me the most - the sheer agony of the cat or the sadistic nature of spiderhog73. That boy needs to know that here are serious consequences to abusing animals. Posting himself commiting a crime suggest to me that he is either deeply disturbed or incredibly stupid. Leida
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 24 March, 2007
    We must remember that every creature on earth has a soul - God planned it this way. No one should abuse any creature that he put on earth. We must have it in our heart to help this boy and the cat. I still blame You Tube for not monitoring their site more.
  • FelixFelix Member Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 March, 2007
    I wholeheartedly agree with that, Sky. I love this quote from the vet and author James Herriot: "If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans. "
    edited 25 March, 2007
    Thanks for that quote Felix. That really puts in just right! =; Leida.
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 25 March, 2007
    Felix thank you for posting this - what a wonderful quote. I love my mommy - she saved Autumn and I from the streets. She feels we might have been abused some but we love her. It has taken 6-8 months for us to get comfortable. But we are happy now.|^|
  • Anne RenaudAnne Renaud MontrealMember Posts: 31
    edited 9 April, 2007
    Couldn't help but add to the conversation.... I did not compose this, but I read a quote somewhere that sums it up: The human animal is the cruelest of all animals. I think that just because one does not LOVE pets as we do, that they should at a minimum RESPECT them for being living creatures. They have a reason for being, just like wild animals (which are dying off) and NATURE, our planet. It's so depressing to read about the state of our planet these days cause it it the clear consequence of the abuse we've been giving it for decades...for our pleasure and convenience. I think there's a link, even if I'm going off-topic a bit. So the abuse of pets is just another example of how some people do not respect LIFE...they do not even think of how they are harming anyone because for them, pets are things, as mentionned before. Abuse includes obvious violent acts (the most grave issues we are discussing here) , but let's not forget other milder forms such as abandoning cats on the streets, dumping kittens in dumpsters, euthanizing just because a cat is fat, letting contaminated food stay on the shelves (bigger scale) and the list goes on. I agree with all of you, especially Leida who suggests to tackle this issue at home e.g. by loving our pets, doing what we can with shelters (even if you can't give money, you may have time to help). I for one talk about it a lot, to make sure my friends, neighbors, colleagues, even family (who hate to hear the horror stories we read about here) are aware. Ideally, by fighting animal abuse as we do here, perhaps we'll make enough noise that the media will find interest in some stories and eventually, it will be all over the news just like the environment is (in Canada at least). Our society is glued to the TV, so it wouldn't hurt to use the media to help (instead of helping in the damage.) Thanks for your patience fellow Catsters! Mommy had to get a few things off her chest today. Ludwig and Cassius's Mommy
    edited 9 April, 2007
    Thank you Ludwig! Well said. The human race has to learn that life is precious. Not just human life, but ALL life. Animals are not on this earth purely for the benefit of man. Man should be living in harmony with animals and not as an unfeeling tyrant who decides whether animals should live or die on a whim. I liked that James Herriot quote so much that I got my dad to print it off and put it on the wall. Humans could learn a lot from animals. Leida
  • Joshua BrownJoshua Brown CheyenneMember Posts: 71
    edited 9 April, 2007
    “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    edited 9 April, 2007
    That's a really good one Jade! I'm going to have to get my dad to print that one off as well! :D
  • Julie CatrionaJulie Catriona BabyvilleMember Posts: 33
    edited 11 April, 2007
    How could anyone hurt a defenseless little creature that depends on humans for food, love, shelter and care? I've always been an animal lover since I was a little girl, and I remember seeing someone abusing a cat next door to where my grandmother used to live. The cat was crying, and I remember standing at the fence between the two properties begging this person to stop. Instead of stopping they continued, purposely to make me cry. Naturally I ran inside and got my grandmother and she called 911. That person was put away for a long time for animal abuse, and my grandmother actually ended up adopting the cat, which we called Mittens. People who abuse animals have no hearts, that's the conclusion I've come to now that I'm older. Animals depend on humans for their survival... how would you like it if you depended on someone else for your survival and instead of loving, caring and feeding you all they did was abuse you? Two sides of the coin... I wish more people would stand up and take action against those who abuse those who cannot speak our language.