Dangerous cat toys we thought were harmless

Robyn FarmerRobyn Farmer JeffersonvilleMember Posts: 1
edited 1 April, 2007 in Plus Informational
After a very upsetting experience of My cat pepper being sick we came to realize that it was caused by what we thought were harmless cat toys. It started when we noticed that she had been vomiting. It was yellow and foamy. I called the vet and we took her in to be checked out. after x rays, the vet noticed that there was a consistency in her intestines, but we were unsure of what the obstruction was. After a surgical proceedure it was discovered that Pepper had swallowed the string tail off of one of her toy mice. If we had not caught it right away, the string could have caused lacerations in her intestice which would cause internal bleeding. I had no idea that her toy mouse could have been a potential danger to her. I am wanrning all cat owners to please supervise your pet while playing with any toy with string. I had never known her to swallow any toy before and we are very lucky that she is okay. Pepper's Mom

Comments

  • Christina FarmerChristina Farmer VictoriaMember Posts: 227
    edited 30 March, 2007
    So glad that you're OK now, Pepper. That's not much fun having to go to the vet. I hope that you speak with the company who made this specific mouse about this issue....they should be made properly, so that things like that don't happen...
  • edited 30 March, 2007
    We are so glad Pepper made it okay! Yes, toys with strings and itty bitty decorations are bad for cats. Our cat mother doesn't understand how these things can be sold...too many small things that can cause intestinal blockage or other internal damage. Be careful out there, especially if your kitty is a chewer or plays rough... we try to remind the cat mother that just because it looks cute it may not be safe!
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 30 March, 2007
    Glad to hear you are OK Pepper. Mom makes sure just to pull off mousie tails before she give them to us. Purrrrrrss
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 30 March, 2007
    I like to eat the tails off mouse toys, too. The ones we get are leather, and mommy noticed one day that all of our mousies had become tailless! The vet thought it would be okay since it was made out of leather, but warned mommy to cut off any string tails. I don't know why they have to put them on there; we all seem to want to eat them! My human sister, when she was three, fed me about 8 or 9 inches of string. She was pretending I was a baby bird and I LOVE string. Mommy had only left the room for a couple of minutes. She had to watch me closely to make sure I didn't get sick, which fortunately, I didn't. Mommy now keeps all the string put away unless she can supervise. I'm glad you're okay!
  • Lindsay RoweLindsay Rowe ArcticMember Posts: 1,776
    edited 30 March, 2007
    Glad Pepper is alright and thanks for the warning. Have you told the Petstore where you bought the mouse toy as well as written to the manufacturer? It's important the companies involved are informed.
  • Mugsy MillerMugsy Miller Member Posts: 839
    edited 31 March, 2007
    Glad to hear you are ok, Pepper. Harley and I love to eat the leather tails off our toy mice. Daddy always thought it was ok. From now on, we're going to make mommy cut the tails off for us first.
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 31 March, 2007
    It is good to hear you are okay Pepper. Cat toys also bring a danger to dogs. They can even choke on the whole toy. This is why we have no cat toys in the house. The dog eats pieces off them and they are choking hazzards. :-#
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 31 March, 2007
    Pepper! We are so glad you are ok, but that is so not cool the tail came off that toy mouse and hurt you!!! Mommy rarely buys us toy mice (we are usually not interested), but she will most definitely keep that in mind if she does. Mommy is very scared of letting us play with string anything when she is not around, she fears us being strangled by it accidentally - that's something she'd like your mommies and daddies to keep in mind.
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 31 March, 2007
    The reps for these companies WANT to hear about the products. That's how they become reformulated, redesigned, and improved. A responsible pet supply store will tell their rep. (But a lot of the bigger chains might not or the employees are not educated about the process and it gets lost somewhere.) So tell them yourself to make sure. Call the number on the package, visit the website, write a letter. Even so, be sure to cut off the tails, eyes, bells, ELASTICS. A lot of smaller toys are Asian imports and not so safe. I know it's not as fun, but it's more fun to play with a tailess mousie than go to the vet. (Pepper, we're so glad you are ok and back home!) It's just something that you don't think about until it happens... *headbonks* ~Jet Giotto~
  • betsy palfreymanbetsy palfreyman anchorageMember Posts: 4,227
    edited 1 April, 2007
    mom has to make sure our toys won't hurt the dogs in the house either...many cat toys can pose a choking hazard to the dogs of the house. balls should have some way of grabbing them for retrieval...a hole or something, otherwise in a dog you won't be able to grab them and open the airway. many cat toys are a perfect fit to cover an airway....needless to say...our toy collection is limited. paws...pogi
  • Deanna RaekeDeanna Raeke Chippewa FallsMember Posts: 17,795
    edited 1 April, 2007
    All my cat toys get chewed up by my big brother dog. So I started playing with his toys. The tennis balls are fun, but his jolly ball is a blast to roll around on.
  • Deanna RaekeDeanna Raeke Chippewa FallsMember Posts: 17,795
    edited 1 April, 2007
    With no toys because of the dogs. I decided to play with live toys.
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 1 April, 2007
    Jet Giotto, that's an excellent idea to cut off all those things, mommy will keep that in mind for our toys!
  • Diane PastvaDiane Pastva Member Posts: 8,377
    edited 1 April, 2007
    We got some Hartz Mountain little mice. After chewing on them they fall apart. The insides are made of cardboard. We threw them all away. We had a cat that ate a ribbon off a balloon and needed surgery years ago.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to the new Catster Community!

Introduce the community to your pet with our Pet Profiles and discover how to use the new community with our Getting Started pages!


Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!