indoor/outdoor

Annie CresseyAnnie Cressey PotsdamMember Posts: 3
edited 24 April, 2005 in Cat Health
what is everyone's opinion on the indoor/outdoor debate?

Comments

• Jessie EibeckJessie Eibeck AnchorageMember Posts: 50
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We are for only indoor kitties...way too many things can happen outside, and statistics have even proven outdoor kitties live way less than only indoor. Cats can be perfectly happy just indoors, as long as you give them something to stay happy with.
  • Kristin HoltKristin Holt ArlingtonMember Posts: 98
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Me and my brother are city cats - there's no way its safe for us to go outside!
  • FLIP RainnieFLIP Rainnie Member Posts: 80
    edited 27 February, 2006
    There is NO WAY that I could be an all indoor cat!! I have too many things I HAVE to do outdoors, help with the gardening, visit Wolfie,keep that Nasty White Cat in order!,make sure that little black cat, that mummy and Elisabeth INSIST on feeding, doesn't get any food, and my dance classes on the roof each night? who would give those??,so much depends on me being outside!! its a wonder I have time to nap!!.....but I make time.....
  • Cindy NashCindy Nash New HartfordMember Posts: 47
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My cats are indoor only mostly because of where I live. Too many people like to speed down our street and i'm afraid of my cats getting injured. However, if I lived out in the country with no close neighbors I would probably let my cats go outside.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We're city cats, too. If we explored loose outside, we'd be sure to get squished by a car. :( Our mommy lets us sit in the sun on the balcony sometimes though. We love to do that! We have tethers to make sure that we don't get too close to the edge and fall. Our brother, Max (who is no longer with us), used to be an indoor/outdoor cat when the family lived in a more rural area near a golf course. But then he somehow got into some fertilizer and wound up with bad chemical burns on his paws, belly and back. He didn't go outside anymore after that.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Sparkle and Inky are indoor and outdoor although spend all winter indoors (unless we have a really warm sunny day). During the summer they go out in the evenings when we get home from work for a couple of hours and at weekends. We are lucky where we live as it's right away from any busy road and we back on to some countryside. I had two cats too when we lived in England and we lived on a busy main road so they never went out. I think they adjust pretty well if they have have a pal to play with and toys.
  • Kristen MangoKristen Mango Chapel HillMember Posts: 40
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I don't judge anyone who does the indoor/outdoor thing, but I couldn't let my cats outdoors without a leash-harness. I don't think I'd ever rest again! Too many trees to run up here, and wild animals. We live in the country, so take them out for a walk round the yard several times a week. It gives them their fill of greenery and bug chasing. I'm a big fan of the leashed walk, though it takes a certain measure of saavy, physcially. If you start when they are kittens it's easier to to adapt and it's an enjoyable activity to do together. Within a few weeks my cats would go wait at the door when they saw us get out the leashes.
  • Roberta ReynoldsRoberta Reynolds HuntingtonMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi ya I used to be outdoors 24/7 when I lived with some other humans. Then I found the new folks! They spoke with the first humans who couldn't care less if I ever came home so my new Mom & Dad moved me indoors the next day and I've never looked back!! Not once have I ever asked to go out. I don't miss the fox in the neighborhood, the ticks behind my ears, the dirty paws, the ichy stuff, the rain.... Mom & Dad say I'm adaptable; I say I'm no fool!
  • Roberta ReynoldsRoberta Reynolds HuntingtonMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Outdoors? What's outdoors? I'm too sexy for my yard.
  • Bonnie ComarBonnie Comar AuroraMember Posts: 30
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We are indoor only cats. We think it's the best. But, we know sometimes some kitties do well outside. For us, we get all the attention we want cause mom is here with us all the time and we love her a lot. She plays with us, and feeds us good stuff. So, we don't care to play in the street.
  • Anja ParkerAnja Parker OaklandMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    All of our cats have been indoor/outdoor since birth. It's convenient in that they go to the bathroom outside so we don't have to deal with litterboxes, plus they've all lived over 20 years. We don't live on a busy street, so maybe that has to do with their lengthy lives. I think letting cats go outdoors is healthy for them. Gives them fresh air and sun.
  • Kailie HicksKailie Hicks Saint JohnMember Posts: 116
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey, believe it or now, I used to be a stray! Like it MUCH better on the inside. I don't have to worry about getting run over by cars, catching nasty diseases, or being catnapped! I'll probably live longer now too. Mommy says we're all much better off indoors, and gives us lots of toys and things to keep us happy.
  • Amanda MandigoAmanda Mandigo AlexandriaMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mum's childhood cat lived to be 19 and did very well outdoors. My sister and I are indoor only, well besides the occaisonal and supervised visits to the balcony. That doesn't happen often though. Mum says there are lots of hazards on the outside and besides.. I wouldn't want to ruin my beeautiful coat.
  • Amanda ShirkAmanda Shirk MiltonMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm an indoor only kitty, and I don't mind at all because I have plenty of stuff to keep my occupied. I just like to sit in front of open windows and get fresh air. And I always like to peak outside when mommy opens the front door, but I don't go out. Mommy thinks it's too dangerous in our neighborhood for a sweet little girl like me.
  • Ron MeinersRon Meiners Oakland/LaurelMember Posts: 48
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well if I wasn't quite so good at finding every possum and racoon in the neighborhood I might get to still go outside. I was a stray kitty once upon a time, and I miss my freedom. But I don't miss not knowing where my next meal's coming from! And truth be told, those possums can be nasty. All in all I guess I'm better off inside. But a cat has to wonder some times. But if fate's going to take a paw, who am I to say meow?
  • Leah KaneLeah Kane North VancouverMember Posts: 4
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm an indoor only kitty as well. Mommy says its cuz its dangerous outside. There are often coyotes and birds of prey around. Not to mention someone may try and steal me away from my family. Plus with all the feline diseases out there you just never know what could happen. Mommy does let me out on the porch sometimes when its really nice out. But only if shes out there as well and can keep and eye on me.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My sister already told you that WE are indoor cats. But mom wants me to tell you about her special ORANGE baby a long time ago (33 years). They lived in a trailer park near Fort Hood Texas. Rusty was his name and he was mostly outdoors. When he was grown up, mom had to move to the city and wondered what to for him. How would he deal with city life? So, she thought of asking the neighbors one by one if they would like to adopt him. >This is the funny part< everyone she asked looked at her in surprise and each one claimed that it was their cat! One person told her that he was the best cat in the neighborhood and even caught and killed a copperhead snake! Well, mom had no trouble with the idea of leaving him right where he was-loved, happy and appreciated.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Muffin, you forgot to tell them that mom had him neutered! That's important too. >".."< Meow
  • steven readingsteven reading san franciscoMember Posts: 35
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm a city cat too. I like to hang out on the window-ledge and bask in the sunshine. I lost one of my lives by falling off my pertch and spending the night outside behind a shed. Now I dont try and leave the comforts of home.
  • Leanne JenkinsLeanne Jenkins Port AngelesMember Posts: 73
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We are all indoor-outdoor cats, with a cat door so we can choose for ourselves. Mom despises litterboxes! We live in a small city, but we have a fenced, cat-friendly yard, so we know our boundaries and have plenty of in-fence entertainment like trees and gardens and a shed we can hide under. We have good instincts and skills to protect ourselves. Occasionally we check out the front yard or stroll a little ways down the alley, but only to see if there is a new friend we can bring home! It's the best of both worlds.
  • Annie CresseyAnnie Cressey PotsdamMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    we are indoor cats too, but we go outside all the time to run around and play with supervision. when we are outside, we don't really know what to think so we just follow mommy around anyway!
  • Cheryl SimsCheryl Sims DallasMember Posts: 869
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I used to be outdoors when I got a nasty injury on my neck and found my new mom. She thinks the top of a fence tore my neck open. Now the closest I come to the outdoors is if it's nice she will crack the window for me to smell the air. I like it better inside anyways.
  • Cheryl SimsCheryl Sims DallasMember Posts: 869
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Outdoors is the only way for me. I'm a traveling man. I have been on my trip for a while now. Can't keep me in.
  • Maria WillenMaria Willen ÖrebroMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I was raised as an indoor cat and have no wish what so ever to go outside!... Outdoors is scary! If anyone thinks I am unhappy living indoors, they're wrong! I have plenty of fun with my brother. My human-pets also keep me activated so I'm never get bored. If I could live in a safe place- far away from cars, dangerous animals, nasty humans or other such things Mom would let me outside.. But I don't think I would like it anyway. My balcony is wonderfurr enough!
  • Diana MertensDiana Mertens Warner RobinsMember Posts: 5,435 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mommy made the mistake of letting me check out the outdoors as a kitten. I got addicted immediately - when I was alive, I would demand to go out and would whine until mommy was so annoyed she couldn't take any more.
  • Krissandra ShickKrissandra Shick PhiladelphiaMember Posts: 9
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I am an indoor cat, but I sure do wish that I could go outside. Since we live in an apartment in a big city, our mommy (I have a sister, Una) will not let us go outside under any circumstances. It is okay for now because there are big trees by the window with many different types of birds to look at, and sometimes a squirrel stops on the porch. But hopefully one day we will have a big fenced-in yard so we can enjoy the outdoors, too. P.S. I don't think that my sister, Una, really cares about going outside that much. She's too much of a scaredy cat
  • Cleo MalloyCleo Malloy So. Lake TahoeMember Posts: 19
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We have the best of both worlds. We live indoors but our humans take us out every day on harnesses. We get to smell the flowers, eat grass and chase bugs. Well, Doggie chases the bugs. I just watch. My mom worried that once we got a taste of the outdoors, we would try to dash out every chance we got. But we don't. We look forward to the harness as we know that means we get to go out. And, if ever we did slip out, we know every inch of our property and would not freak out like we would if we never got out at all.
  • Valeska CastroValeska Castro Rio de Janeiro, RJMember Posts: 23
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I come from a rescue centre and when I was there my friends told me so many horrible things that have happened to them in the streets, that I feel happy and relieved to be an indoor cat! I've never been to the street so I just don't miss something I've never had. At home I'm safe, cosy, and the only times I would like to go outside is when I see some birds or my cat neighbours from my window!
  • Nanna PeterNanna Peter SalzburgMember Posts: 15
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Every time I read about indoor/outdoor kitties that "disappeared one day" or were hit by a car, it hurts. My(biological) mom died outside when I and my siblings just were 2 weeks old. They found her dead beside the quiet street through the woods where her family lived. one kitten of the next cat mom, whom this family adopted, "disappeared" in the woods, a second one was found in the yard in it's blood with a bitten throat. One of the Norwegian Forest Cats from the litter of Fiona was sold to the country side. His new mom let him outside before he even was neutered and he "disappeared" some days before his first birthday. And so on....
  • Brian McFarlandBrian McFarland DelawareMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Congo and I are indoor only kitties. Bryanne got a leash and harness for me so I will be able to go outside for walks. She and Brian make sure that Congo and I have plenty of fun things to do inside, as well as open windows (with screens) so that we can breath some nice fresh air and watch the birdies. One time I snuck outside and went unnoticed for a night...I was not a happy camper. The apartment is my palace, and I don't need to go outside to have fun.