Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Food troubles.

Jessica CobbJessica Cobb Gastonia/CharlotteMember Posts: 91
edited 17 August, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
This topic is so over-discussed, I know. But in lieu of all these recent recalls, its hard not to worry about this food and that food. So what in the world is safe to feed our cats anymore! ? What is everyone feeding their babies?

Comments

• Lisa WalstonLisa Walston SmyrnaMember Posts: 3,917
    edited 20 April, 2007
    My four house mates eat a home prepared raw diet, with a little canned mixed in. Sometimes it's Fancy Feast, sometimes PetGuard or other high quality canned. They also get one meal a day of Nature's Variety Raw Instinct grain free kibble. NO RICE at all (Innova EVO grain free does contain some brown rice). I eat only canned because of my kidney disease. Wellness, PetGuard, Pinnacle, Avoderm, Trader Joe's, sometimes Fancy Feast. Foods with no rice, wheat, soy or by-products if mom can get me to eat them. Now we are on the look out for rice protein concentrate, but it's not usually used in the foods I eat. Our dog eats Timber Wolf Organics Black Forrest Venison and Lamb mixed with an ALL MEAT canned (Wysong, Evanger's, Canine Caviar - all of these are fine for dogs and cats because they are meat only, no additives of any kind) and some fresh or frozen vegetables. If any of you decide to go with an all meat canned diet, be sure your moms supplement with taruine and a good pet multi-vitamin. Taurine is very important for neurological function and to prevent blindness. Taurine deficiency leads to blindness in cats. The 100% canned meats have no supplements of any kind in them so your moms will need to be sure you're getting proper vitamins. Also, this is a pricey food, but it's prepared in a USDA kitchen which means that nothing that hasn't passed USDA inspection can even enter the facility - it's Spot's Stew by Halo. I can't swear to it, but I believe all of their products are prepared in a USDA kitchen, which is why they are expensive. Go with a certified organic brand - one with the blue seal on the packaging. I would think organic foods would be safer right now because they have to follow very strict guidelines on how the meats, grains, fruits and vegetables used in their foods are raised, such as with no pesticides, etc., in order to be certified. By Nature Organics is a line of canned foods that is now being carried at most Kroger stores. It is certified organic with the blue seal and is often on sale ten 6 oz. cans for $10 and it's a pretty tasty food.
  • Julia HarrisJulia Harris Member Posts: 185
    edited 20 April, 2007
    Nya and I also eat a raw food diet, as we did before the recall, and our mum is very relieved to know that she doesn't have to worry about OUR food being affected by this mess! We really do think this is the best and only way to go these days, the extra fuss involved is really not all that much, and it's so much healthier for us, not to mention cutting ties with the pet food industry is so fufilling! If your mum is interested, she should make sure to do her research, as raw has to be done properly, to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need. Buster, I think you're mistaken on the EVO. It is completley grain free, and contains no rice whatsoever (rice being a grain...) only the regular Innova formulas contain rice. Nya and I only get canned food as the occasional dinner when mum forgets to thaw our raw food, and she insists it be a grain free canned food. EVO is one of our favourites!
  • Lisa WalstonLisa Walston SmyrnaMember Posts: 3,917
    edited 20 April, 2007
    Buddy, that's what I thought too, about the EVO. I checked the ingredient list and saw none, but our friend Boxie Brown said that his mom bought a bag yesterday and it had rice. Maybe she didn't get the EVO, maybe the regular Innova *shrugs shoulders in the 'who knows' gesture*
  • eva pennyeva penny chehalisMember Posts: 528
    edited 20 April, 2007
    We've been transitioning to a raw diet also. Mom's been buying Natures Variety Medallions and I really like them. My brother Tucker is a bit picky however and doesn't eat much raw yet so Mom's been giving him Raw Instinct dry food and some EVO too. Both are grain free and taste pretty good :)
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 20 April, 2007
    I am still feeding what I was before the recall. Science Diet Light Hairball formula. I feed both the canned and dry.
  • C MillsC Mills MunichMember Posts: 24
    edited 20 April, 2007
    Almo Nature Soft/Wet Food Almo Nature and Sanabelle Dry Food My humans have heard good things about Orijen. They will probably feed me that when we move back to Canada.
  • Kris PotterKris Potter Dallas SuburbMember Posts: 1,131
    edited 20 April, 2007
    Science Diet regular. Mom bought an enormous bag of this way before the recalls so she feels safe feeding it. However, she's always hated how much corn is in it. Now combined with the recalls she's decided when it's gone, it's gone and there won't be no more. Innova Evo. This is the dry food we'll be switching to full time. We have a bowl of it around now so that when the Science Diet is gone we'll already be used to it. Nature's Variety Raw Instinct is also good and very similar to the Innova Evo Dry. Wellness canned, grain free only. We love chicken and herring. Merrick canned, grain free only. Nikki loves Thanksgiving dinner. Fromm's Four Star canned. We tried this for the first time last week. The chicken and tuna was a huge hit. It's also a grain free food.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 20 April, 2007
    I eat Nature's Variety canned food, Innova EVO canned food, two varities of fish flavored ProPlan canned, and one fish flavor or Weruva canned. I am on a canned food diet because of my diabetes. Canned foods that are 100% meat and nothing else are ok to eat once in awhile. It does not contain the necessary nutrients we need. Innova EVO is a grain-free dry food. The bag will have EVO on it. There are also regular Innova dry food that contains some rice. Nature's Variety Raw Instinct and Wellness CORE are also grain-free dry foods.
  • Morag PippinMorag Pippin HonoluluMember Posts: 22
    edited 20 April, 2007
    Fancy Feast and Friskies canned. Max Cat dry. We'll start on Canidae when it's new store opens here in Honolulu.
  • Kristen MaranciakKristen Maranciak PittsburghMember Posts: 560
    edited 20 April, 2007
    Mommy has recently switched us to EVO. We were eating Nutro natural choice but enlight of the recent recalls Mommy has had enough and switched us to a grain free food. We had been eating occasionly as Buddha Mittens loves it and refused to eat the Nutro. I really like the EVO...Mommy couldn't decide on the Felidae or EVO. They are both good foods but Evo has no grain. We sometimes eat Merrick Wet food...I agree Thanksgiving Dinner is good. I also like Surf and Turf. Actually Mommy hasn't come across a flavor I didn't like...hmmm:-k We also sometimes eat Wellness wet food. It's pretty good but I like the Merrick better. Wellness has also come out with a grain free dry food as well. We haven't tasted it but Mommy got a free sample from the nice man at the pet food store.
  • Jessica CobbJessica Cobb Gastonia/CharlotteMember Posts: 91
    edited 21 April, 2007
    My mom is also trying to decide between Felida and EVO. She likes that EVO is grain free, but wonders if that much protein is really ok? I know kitties are strict carnivores, but that's such a high protein level.
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 21 April, 2007
    Orijens dry food. It's grain-free and rice-free (they use fruits/veggies/bontanicals). It's so good, there is now a run on this particular brand of cat food. It's got mommy rather stressed out. Also, we have started eating Wellness brand wet food again, we like the turkey and salmon. When there is more Orijens stock in the stores again, she will probably stop feeding us Wellness.
  • Kim ShattuckKim Shattuck BurbankMember Posts: 1
    edited 22 April, 2007
    We are supposed to eat Hills Prescription Diet K/D dry and wet. The wet has nothing recalled in it so we still eat that but the dry, even though not technically recalled has corn gluten in it and the South African scare made us rethink that. So now we are on Wellness Lite Super 5 mix-dry. The protein is a bit higher but the phosphorus is down and it has only healthy stuff in it. I tried Felidae Chicken and Rice-wet, but both times threw up all over the light beige carpet after eating it.
  • Nanaho SawanoNanaho Sawano Member Posts: 108
    edited 22 April, 2007
    I've been eating Nature's Variety Raw Instinct kibble, it's the only thing I will touch. My human checks the recall lists every day, praying not to see the brand, as she has no idea whether or not I will like anything else. So far, so good. Paws crossed that I will never have to switch foods...
  • Sandy StewartSandy Stewart PittsburghMember Posts: 107
    edited 22 April, 2007
    We're still eating what we did before the recall, although we're checking our food sites every day. Mom feeds us a mixture of california natural chicken and brown rice mixed with EVO. For soft food, we split a small can of blue spa or natural balance chicken and liver pate in the morning and evening. Each one of these companies has had a recall, but not for any of the foods we eat. Mom's keeping an eye on us, and the websites, too. Now she's wondering when the human food is going to be affected.
  • Karyn LehmannKaryn Lehmann redlandsMember Posts: 247
    edited 22 April, 2007
    Natures Variety Raw Instinct, sprinkled with Ziwi Peak Raw, once a day a can of either Merrick, Evo, Wellness or new for us By Nature organics. mmmmm
  • Mia McGregorMia McGregor South FloridaMember Posts: 69
    edited 22 April, 2007
    My kitties have tried a bunch of things-Innova EVO and Nature's variety and Orijen probably top the list for grain free foods. Nature's variety has a number of canned foods-rabbit,duck, venison that seem yummy. My cats unfortunately have become "picky" because I have been trying all these different foods and they tend to go back and forth between different things. I will often give Wellness canned foods too-the varieties with fish are especially tempting but may not be so good if they have allergies.
  • Mia McGregorMia McGregor South FloridaMember Posts: 69
    edited 22 April, 2007
    My kitties have tried a bunch of things-Innova EVO and Nature's variety and Orijen probably top the list for grain free foods. Nature's variety has a number of canned foods-rabbit,duck, venison that seem yummy. My cats unfortunately have become "picky" because I have been trying all these different foods and they tend to go back and forth between different things. I will often give Wellness canned foods too-the varieties with fish are especially tempting but may not be so good if they have allergies.
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 22 April, 2007
    My Mom was mistaken, of course, EVO doens't contain rice, she was looking at two bags to compare ingredients and of course picked up a bag of INNOVA that did have grains (rice) of course we are not eating that one, we are eating CORE and EVO.
  • Cat LedfordCat Ledford MurphyMember Posts: 3,189
    edited 22 April, 2007
    We eat a raw diet too supplemented with some dry Katz N Flocken. There are 34 of us here so of course there are a few of us that won't eat the raw diet. Any raw feeders have suggestions of anything to make finicky eaters more interested?? Purrrs! :-h
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 April, 2007
    After many hours of research and deep thought, mom has decided I will GO RAW! Although I am doing well on the VeRUS (dry) with diabetes, I still weigh too much. I have never been active but still, I now believe that eating dry propels weight gain. Been reading links suggested by Merlin and others, looking at raw foods and organic canned foods, etc. I've never eaten a wet diet and know that the transition will take time and patience. I have a small bag of VeRUS left. Any thoughts on the transition? Possibly this would be the time to have the glucose meter training to keep the insulin at just the right level. I'll talk with the vet, but most vets know almost nothing about the raw or holistic foods.
    edited 23 April, 2007
    We really like when Mom mixes a little wet food with our Raw..it also tastes really good warm! Mom puts our thawed raw medallions in a plastic ziplock bag and sets it in warm water for a few minutes to warm up.. then she puts about 1/4 can of our favorite wet food in the bowl with it and stirs until its mixed well, It's really yummy :D I like my raw plain now but Tucker still holds out for the wet food...he's a picky, picky boy :)) You can also try putting Tuna juice or Salmon Oil on top..they taste pretty good too.. P.s. Hazel Lucy, I wanted to tell you that since I started eating RAW I've gotten much more active! I also hear the same thing from most RAW feeders...it just seems to give us extra energy %:D% I was a VERY lazy boy but now I chase Tucker all over the house and spend alot of time playing with my other toy's too =;
  • Cat LedfordCat Ledford MurphyMember Posts: 3,189
    edited 23 April, 2007
    Thanks Diesel! My meowmy tried the tuna juice thing and salmon, we don't like either one. There are only 2 of us out of 34 that won't eat the raw so that's pretty good. As far as being more active, YES! We're never still now!! %:D% Pawty all day and most of the night!=; Meowmy has found that we won't eat the chicken that has bones ground up in it, so our doggie brother gets that. We also like our chicken very soupy. So meowmy's learning what we like! Purrrs!!
  • Jessica CobbJessica Cobb Gastonia/CharlotteMember Posts: 91
    edited 23 April, 2007
    Has anyone tried the Fromm Four Star dry food? Here is a link to their site. I\'m not crazy about the fact that their canned food is manufactured in China, but their dry food is made in their own plant in Wisconsin. It looks like good food.
  • JANE STUTFIELDJANE STUTFIELD BERKELEYMember Posts: 2,203
    edited 23 April, 2007
    We eat Innova EVO - EVO is completely grain free - no rice in it at all. We eat AvoDerm canned food - the beef and chicken flavors are what we like - this food is also completely grain free and very delicious. It's just like our people picking out their foods - read all the ingredients. We are Cats - We are Carnivores - We need Meat not grain. Merrick also makes excellent grain free canned foods. Purrrrs, Oliver and family
  • Bonnie HeavensBonnie Heavens Hoffman EstatesMember Posts: 40
    edited 26 April, 2007
    We had been eating Science Diet dry light and Iams weight control in pouch...then the recall happened with the Iams on it and thankfully we were ok!! Mommy switched us to a grain-free diet. We are now eating Innova Evo dry food for dinner. Breakfast is a little harder...its hard to find a canned food that is grain-free that we both agree on :) We\'ve tried Merrick, Evangers, Halo, Tiki Cat...and we weren\'t that thrilled. Then we tried Solid Gold blended tuna and it was delicious! We\'ve only had one can so far....but mommy is researching it and will see if it is good for our breakfast! She also ordered a sample from of Prowl from The Honest Kitchen to see if we like that too! For treats, now we have the Whole Life dehydrated chicken and we LOVE it!!
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 26 April, 2007
    Mista Clyde, Nature's Variety canned food is grain-free. So is Innova EVO and some varieties of Wellness. Have you tried any of these canned foods? My favorite treats are VitaKitty and WildSide Salmon. Oliver, how do you like the Avoderm? My Human tried the Avoderm Select Cuts chicken for me once but it was icky. The food had a very strong peculiar odor and the gravy was thick and gloppy and pink colored :-O
    edited 26 April, 2007
    Hey Merlin, those are my favorite treats too :)) They're YUMMY!! =;
  • Bonnie HeavensBonnie Heavens Hoffman EstatesMember Posts: 40
    edited 27 April, 2007
    Thanks Merlin!! The store was sold out of the Innova Evo canned food, so we weren't able to try it! Today we had Solid Gold again and we decided to only eat the gravy and leave all the tuna behind. So Im not sure if our mom is happy with us! :-O
  • Nancy BeimanNancy Beiman RochesterMember Posts: 22
    edited 3 May, 2007
    I eat Nature's Logic Rabbit Dinner dry food. It has no rice, corn, or wheat in it (there is some millet, all produced in the USA), it is full of vitamins derived from natural sources, and it is yummy! I am sleek and playful and have a very high energy level. Mummy says it saved my life. Mummy almost LOST my life when she was trying to do me a kindness. She bought some of the Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea dryfood about three weeks ago. I ate it quickly but immediately became ill and vomited it up. I then went and cried loudly by the container with my regular food. Mummy figured I just wasn't able to digest the peas...but that food was recalled for poisoning two weeks later! Luckily, I appear to be doing fine, but it was a close call. Mummy has decided that I will eat the Nature's Logic Rabbit Dinner for the forseeable future, though I also have California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato flavour food available.