Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Food troubles.

2»

Comments

• Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 May, 2007
    I tried some Calf. Natural wet and liked it, but it's made by Menu Foods. I wouldn't trust them with a toy animal let alone me! Everyday they are recalling more of the foods they make. I'm going with Felidae and Merrick, even though there are veggies in it. I mix it with the raw.
  • Nancy BeimanNancy Beiman RochesterMember Posts: 22
    edited 9 May, 2007
    I had no idea that Menu Foods made California Natural! It's going straight out of here tomorrow morning as a result--I'd not trust those people with anything, even though Cal Natural has not caused any harm to Gizmo. Thanks for the heads-up!
  • Bonnie HeavensBonnie Heavens Hoffman EstatesMember Posts: 40
    edited 9 May, 2007
    We are still loving the Innova EVO dry food...but having some troubles with our wet food for breakfast. We thought we had liked the Solid Gold blended tuna, but Chloe has thrown up twice after having it. So mommy gave us some By Nature Organics "Organic Turkey and Chicken" canned food. We both gobbled it up! Looks like its grain-free: (?) Ingredients: Organic Turkey, Natural Well Water, Organic Chicken, Organic Chicken Liver, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Organic Guar Gum, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin Supplements (E, A, Riboflavin, D3, B12), Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite. Anyone tried this food?? We have tried a ton of brands of wet food and cant seem to find one we like! (Evangers, Merrick, Honest Kitchen, Tiki cat, Halo, etc.) Help!!:-O
  • Rosie HerrenRosie Herren ReynoldsburgMember Posts: 14
    edited 8 August, 2007
    I have tried tons of dry and canned premium cat foods and have this to say about them: While California Natural does have it\'s canned food made by Menu Foods I would not rule them out entirely as the company has decided to purchase it\'s own manufacturing facility so it can control every aspect of it\'s canned food quality. They aren\'t comfortable with Menu Foods either. I think their dry foods are exceptional if your pets like them. My kitties like their canned foods, especially the herring flavor. As for Natural Organics canned food, you may want to reconsider using this food as it is made in China. I returned their pouch food once I saw this was the case. I have tried every canned food on the market and I can tell you that while my kitties love Evo dry they won\'t eat the canned. I do think the ingredients are very good so if your cat will eat it, great. They also do not like the Wysong Au Jus flavors either. They also will not eat Merrick (wonderful ingredients) or Evangers. I wish they would eat the Merricks because I think it looks the best out of all the products on the market. Natural Balance they will eat but only some flavors like the liver pate. I don\'t really buy this brand anymore due to the recall thing. Due to my one cat having kidney issues I feed Wellness canned Turkey and Salmon and also the Chicken flavor since these have a lower phosphorus level. They like these pretty well. They are not too crazy about the turkey flavor or beef flavors. Their absolute favorites are Solid Gold tuna (I no longer buy this due to it being made overseas) and the Fromm (any flavor but again I no longer buy due to it being made in China). They aren\'t too crazy about Newmans or Nutro Max. I no longer feed any Nutro products due to the recall issues. They hate canned Nature\'s Logic (great ingredients though) and hardly touch any of the Science Diet flavors. I don\'t buy Science Diet any more either, even the prescription foods. Their absolute favorite dry food, however, is Nature\'s Logic rabbit. All my cat LOVE it immensely! They aren\'t too crazy about the Nature\'s Variety Prairie dry food. While the ingredients are exceptional my cats tire of it very quickly. My employer\'s cats loved the Salmon flavor but stopped eating it after two bags. Wellness salmon dry is probably my cats\' second favorite dry food. One thing I want to say about canned tuna for cats is that most pet food companies will use the poorer grade tuna that is very dark in color. I bought some Trader Joes tuna that was very dark and my one cat threw it up. So I only buy tuna now that is light in color and from a manufacturer I trust. So for now I buy the Innova Light canned (reformulated so not so dry now), Wellness Turkey and Salmon, Petguard Premium Feast, Felidae and a few flavors of Nature\'s Variety and Pinnacle. I also feed small amounts of squash, low sodium deli turkey, low sodium Star-kist Tuna, raw liver, Gerbers 2nd foods chicken or turkey and plain cooked cod or salmon. I think if you want your kitties to be happy they have to have variety (if their tummies can handle it). Hope this helps.
  • Nanaho SawanoNanaho Sawano Member Posts: 108
    edited 8 August, 2007
    We have three grainless kibble types that are sort of rotated: Innova Evo, Nature's Variety Instinct, and Timberwolf Organic's Serengeti. Our wet food is also mostly grainless. Our absolute favorite treat is the Solid Gold blended tuna, but we also eat Merrick, Wellness, Innova, Petguard (Beef & Barley--it's the one exception to our grainless diet), California Natural's Salmon & Sweet Potato, By Nature Organics Mackerel & Chicken. We've tried Nature's Variety and Nature's Logic but didn't like those. The human still has a few cans of Natural Balance left, but she's unsure if she will give them to us...
  • Robin BassRobin Bass Forest HillsMember Posts: 105
    edited 17 August, 2007
    I was unaware that Nutro Max was involved in the recall....recently Jazzpurr had loose poops....TBG went out and bought a cuisinart- boiled chicken through in some cooked rice and poured tuna juice over it...I'm happy to report that a week later, his poops are much better..tootsie roll shaped and not smelly like before when he was sneaking the fancy feast... would he be okay with raw Chicken? Is that enough nutrition should I continue to boil it? His brother Fatty eats Max Kitten dry, with a little Fancy Feast Dry..he also eats Max Kitten Wet and loves the chicken and rice.. Is this enough nutrtion wise? I have a ton of wellness and solid gold cans...sitting on top of the refrigerator...but Jazz really didn't go for anything except the Solid Gold Tuna...and I'd rather he stay away from fish...Am I being too cautious. It is my belief that the wet Fancy feast is like Kitty Crack but I'm too old to change and so is Bradley- besides Brad will eat anything!..but check out his size he's the real fatty.