what about real tuna

Aimee JonesAimee Jones sunriseMember Posts: 4
edited 24 April, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
is it bad for me to eat small amounts of canned tuna with my dinner?:?

Comments

• Pamela HaneyPamela Haney Old ForgeMember Posts: 893
    edited 22 April, 2007
    Tuna, in small amounts, is not bad for kitties. You have to be careful because tuna does not contain taurine, which is an essential protein for cats, and tuna also contains mercury. It is important to feed your kitties balanced and nutritious cat food (dry and/or wet) or a homemade diet on a regular basis. Tuna makes a great treat and is fine for your kitty so long as it is in small amounts.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 22 April, 2007
    Tuna as an occasional treat is ok but should not be eaten all the time. Here is a web site that explains why: Tuna is not your cat's friend
  • Celina AndersonCelina Anderson Toronto/Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 27
    edited 22 April, 2007
    A little bit of tuna is okay. Or, you could do what my mummy does: eat the tuna herself and then give the Holy Tuna Water to us kitties!
  • Lisa WalstonLisa Walston SmyrnaMember Posts: 3,917
    edited 22 April, 2007
    You'd probably be better with canned mackeral or canned salmon. As mentioned Taurine is important in your diet, and Taurine supplements are available at any health food store so your mom can feel free to add Taurine to any meat that she cooks for you, such as chicken or turkey or fish. White fish is actually not a bad one to try, baked in just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Fish that live a long time, such a tuna, are not that good for you because they are exposed to things like mercury and other toxins that accumulate in their bodies over the many years they live. Your mom would be better baking some chicken thigh meat for you and supplementing with Taurine. Also, Solid Gold makes a canned blended tuna that your mom might want to try for you. With the tuna water, your mom should buy the Starkist low sodium because it uses only water. Lots of tuna use a vegetable broth instead of plain water (even though it says water) and the vegetable broth often contains onions or onion powder or onion juice concentrate, which is bad for cats and dogs.
  • Aimee JonesAimee Jones sunriseMember Posts: 4
    edited 24 April, 2007
    thank you for all the tuna info, it\'s been crazy since the recall and my mom is nervous to feed me anything with wheat glutin in it so it\'s just dry food for now, I am too picky and dont like any wet food other then Iams and thats on the list :(( :^: