Opinions on these foods, please?

Christy MChristy M Member Posts: 329
edited 1 May, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Mom is switching us off the Royal Canin due to its use of wheat/corn gluten, and the fact that chicken meal is its primary ingredient. We ordered a bag of Innova Evo and a bag of Wellness CORE from Pet Food Direct. Mom was just wondering whether any of you had/knew of problems with the foods, or (even better!) success stories? She likes the ingredient lists of both (at least a lot better than Royal Canin) and has heard good things. So please help her out!

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 25 April, 2007
    Meows, both Innova EVO and Wellness CORE dry are good. Both are fairly low in carbs but high in calories, though all dry foods are high in calories. Both EVO and CORE have much better ingredients than Royal Canin. Another good food is Nature's Variety. Nature's Variety makes dry food (including a grain-free one), canned food, and frozen raw food. You can visit the company web sites to find a store near you that sells the food. Buying online is costly because of shipping costs. Innova Wellness I ate Nature's Variety Raw Instinct dry food for a little while and liked it a lot. The high quality ingredients improved my fur from dry and flaky to soft and healthy. I only eat canned food now because of my diabetes. I love the Nature's Variety canned food. I also love Innova EVO canned food. Catsters who eat EVO and CORE dry foods will give you their opinions.
  • eva pennyeva penny chehalisMember Posts: 528
    edited 25 April, 2007
    Here's another great grain free choice Timberwolf Organics Serengeti http://timberwolforganics.com/s.nl/it.A/id.109/.f?sc=2&category=-102 It has a lower ash content than the other grain free's that we checked into ;)
  • Christy MChristy M Member Posts: 329
    edited 25 April, 2007
    Unfortunately, we have NOWHERE closer than three hours to get either food. So shipping is cheaper than driving to buy it. We'll definitely check into those other foods. Thanks for the input!
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 25 April, 2007
    We just switched to those foods too, only problem so far is a bit of a dirty rear end from the lower carb diet. My sister's is really bad as she is a 3-legger and not much of a groomer, she is dingleberry city!!
  • Kristen MaranciakKristen Maranciak PittsburghMember Posts: 560
    edited 25 April, 2007
    Mommy switched us to Evo recently. We eat it up. We haven't had any problems except Melodie is taking a bit longer to get used to it then everyone else. Tom, at our pet store gave us samples of the Wellness and Nature's variety but Mommy hasn't given us any of that yet.
  • Karyn LehmannKaryn Lehmann redlandsMember Posts: 247
    edited 25 April, 2007
    We eat Natures Variety Raw Instinct and are doing great on it. We did not like Core or evo, but they are awesome foods and mom has TONS of customers that buy them. Great companies too. Natura is iso certified (like people food companies).
  • edited 25 April, 2007
    Thanks, Merlin! We have always had dry, but the ingredients, especially protein, in these are great. We are lucky because our area is still into farming, riding, and not totally urbanized....our Western Farm Center has every product for every type of beast! We are making the cat mother go shop tomorrow!
    edited 25 April, 2007
    We did discover a place nearby that sells Nature's Variety! We'll probably grab a bag of that, too, and see what we like the best. Mom feels better now that she's taking steps to see we have a better diet. This recall thing is so stressful! xo-Pippin
  • eva pennyeva penny chehalisMember Posts: 528
    edited 25 April, 2007
    If you want to try the Timberwolf Organics Serengeti, shipping is free on their website.
  • Bonnie HeavensBonnie Heavens Hoffman EstatesMember Posts: 40
    edited 26 April, 2007
    Me and Chloe are both on Innova Evo dry now...We had been eating Science Diet lite dry and Iams pouches and then the recall happened. The Iams was on the recall and thankfully we were ok :) Our whole diet was overhauled....Now we are eating Innova Evo dry for dinner and we both like it! It is high in meat content and my coat even looks better in the month I've been on it! I used to get dry flakes on my back a little...now it seems to be clearing up :) I would give it a big paws up!! We were both so used to getting wet food for breakfast, its been hard to find a good grain-free substitute that tastes good. We have tried a bunch, but me and Chloe are both liking the Solid Gold blended tuna...any thoughts on that? :)
  • Nanaho SawanoNanaho Sawano Member Posts: 108
    edited 26 April, 2007
    Nature's Variety Raw Instinct is all I've been eating, since even before the recall mess. I love it! I'm glad it's starting to get more popular! Simba
  • edited 26 April, 2007
    Maybe that's why your coat is so, uh, pouffy, eh? hee hee
  • Lianne StinsonLianne Stinson OakvilleMember Posts: 182
    edited 26 April, 2007
    If you like grain free you should try Orijen cat food. All the cats in the house love it. We have tried quite a few holistic brands and Orijen is by far the most popular. It has great ingredients and the litter boxes smell a lot less since we started eating it. :)
  • LeAnna WilkersonLeAnna Wilkerson Kansas CityMember Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited 27 April, 2007
    Jasper and I are eating Natura California Natural which is made by the same company as Innova. We both have sensitive tummys and it works great for us! We had been eating Science Diet Sensitive Stomach but when the recall happened Meowmie found out that it was full of grains rather than protein. We love the new food, and since it is full of protein we eat a lot less! Hope that helps! Riley ^..^
    edited 27 April, 2007
    Thanks, everyone! Mom bought a bag of Raw Instinct today, which we seemed to like. She's waiting on the bags of EVO and CORE to arrive, and she'll see which one we like best. If she doesn't like the results or if we don't take to any of them well, we'll definitely try some of your other recommendations! Keep giving me your opinions on the foods, though-we love to hear them! xo-Pippin
  • Ann BassettAnn Bassett TallahasseeMember Posts: 139
    edited 27 April, 2007
    Our Meowmy ordered some Flint River Ranch Dry Adult cat food for us earlier this month and we have been enjoying it. She has also tried to switch our wet food, but we won't let her. We love Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys.
  • Kristen MaranciakKristen Maranciak PittsburghMember Posts: 560
    edited 27 April, 2007
    We have been eating Merrick wet food. They say that their foods are made in their own facilities and all ingredients are from the US. We have four different flavors right now and two have brown rice in them. California Roll and Southern Delight. They do not use Wheat Gluten in any of their products. We don't get wet food all the time though just when I have to take medicine...
  • Susan WestwaterSusan Westwater Chicago/NorthCenterMember Posts: 174
    edited 28 April, 2007
    Nikki was on one of the Nutro Indoor Senior Cat dry foods that was not recalled. However, Mom decided that even though it wasn't, she pretty much couldn't live with the thought of me being ill because of something she fed me. Since Provo has done really well on the canine Innova EVO, she decided she would see if I liked it. So far, I have been a big fan and the transition has gone very well (she did it pretty slowly). I sometimes throw up on new foods and that hasn't happened at all. Mom did just realize that she probably needs to cut the amount she feeds since I'm getting more calories.
  • Tonya FaulksTonya Faulks Pacolet / SpartanburgMember Posts: 131
    edited 1 May, 2007
    We just switched to EVO this week. We all love it!