Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Is it ok for a kitten to eat adult cat food?

diane macinnisdiane macinnis summersideMember Posts: 37
edited 28 April, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
A friend brought a new kitten into my house(I has\'nt posted any pics yet though). I have a bag of purina kitten chow, but he doesn\'t seem to like it. He has however been muching on my other two cats food. A mixture of purina one and friskies is this ok or should I try another brand of kitten food? What kind of kitten food is best? Keeping in mind that I live in a small city and my choices of pet food are limited( ie, Zellers, Walmart, Grocery stores) Actual pet stores are an hour away in another city.|^|

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 26 April, 2007
    Kittens should eat a kitten food because they need all the extra nutrients. Look for a food that has the best ingredients possible. The first ingredient should be meat, not meat meal or meat byr-product. ProPlan and Iams are sold in supermarkets and at places like WalMart. Those are the two I would recommend since you are unable to get better quality brands. Pruina ONE is acceptable but if you can find a better food, then go with the better food.
  • c bc b summersideMember Posts: 55
    edited 28 April, 2007
    fussy little rascal, turning his nose up at perfectly good kitten chow!:)) heh. ;) :-h
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 April, 2007
    They would all be better eating wet food, along with some dry. Kittys that eat dry food all their lives are more likely to have health problems as they get older. Diabetes, UTI's to name a few. WalMart sells 9-Live, Friskies and Fancy Feast cans. They are actually pretty cheap compared to the Pet Stores. You can trying mixing the wet with some Purina Kitten Chow. I think they even sell Friskies Kitten food cans. You may be better feeding the kitten and the cats seperate to make sure they get the right food. Maybe put the baby in the bathroom? I eat a lot more meals than my family because I am diabetic (I was born with it - I'm a rare kid) so Mom feeds me in the computer room. That's my room anyway. I have my couch and my creatures in there. WalMart also sells Sophisticat which we would not recommend as it is made by Menu Foods and who knows what's in it anymore. HISS Looking forward to meeting the baby!
  • Lily LuLily Lu CuritibaMember Posts: 18
    edited 28 April, 2007
    Ahhh, guys... You must have been talking to my Mom, because she won't let me eat my big sisters' food too! She keeps giving me Royal Canin's BabyCat dry food, I'm not a baby anymore, you know? I'm 2 1/2 months old already. I should be allowed to eat the funny shaped ones the other cats do. Well, but I liked the sound of this wet food thing, Pirate! I just hope whe doesn't come with some baby wet food. Meow the best, Cheese