Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

innova

meredith maynardmeredith maynard Member Posts: 80
edited 13 May, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
okay - so what's the deal with innova? are their foods "safe"? mew, fri

Comments

• Sarah ManolisSarah Manolis San FranciscoMember Posts: 148
    edited 9 May, 2007
    I have been thinking of switching Jack over to Innova. Currently he's eating Purina Kitten Chow because that's what his foster family was feeding him and I didn't want to switch his food to early, at the risk of messing up his move from milk to solid foods. I have done a lot of research on the web and through experienced cat owners and Innova is consistently ranked among the best. I want more opinions before I make the switch official, just because these more premium foods ARE pricey and I don't want to make the wrong choice. The main issue with Innova, at least as far as the people here are concerned, is that they use Menu Foods, the company involved in the recall. Because they use no wheat, grain, or gluten products, NONE of their foods, wet or dry, have been recalled and that's a great sign. I've went through some old food threads here and, as far as I've noticed, Natural Balance was the leading dry and Merrick's was the leading wet. After the recall, I don't know how that stands, since several of NB's foods have been recalled due to the rice powder. Innova was a close second and everywhere I've read, it is ranked very high among cat foods. I'd actually like to read more about the foods as well so I'm glad you posted this! s & pesty jack (who made me type this three times because he kept laying on the keyboard and pressing the escape key, thus deleting my entire entry.)
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 9 May, 2007
    Are you talking wet Innova, or dry? Innova Evo is a grain free dry, this is what we are on right now. We eat that mixed with Wellness CORE dry.
  • Julia HarrisJulia Harris Member Posts: 185
    edited 9 May, 2007
    Only Innova canned products are made at a menu foods facility, so ALL Innova dry foods (including EVO) are safe as they always were, and Innova is an excellent quality food. In regards to their canned food, I was personally very impressed with this company's response to the recall, and still have complete faith in the safety of their food.
  • meredith maynardmeredith maynard Member Posts: 80
    edited 9 May, 2007
    Ok, so there is NO risk whatsover with Innova Dry. We are feeding Fri Pet Promise Dry and it is made with corn - which I have been reading is a useless ingredient. Fri likes it b/c it is easy to chew and tasty. Is Innova EVO dry easy to crunch? We just found a can of Pet Guard Ocean Fish Dinner and I looked up the site - says it is totally safe. Fri LOVED it. Anyone else feed Pet Guard products?? Mews and Purrs, Fri
  • Christy MChristy M Member Posts: 329
    edited 9 May, 2007
    We just started on EVO dry. (We didn't like Wellness CORE-neither of us ate it.) The kibble size seems to be ideal for us-we don't throw it everywhere when we crunch big kibble pieces. We seem to like the taste so far.
  • Bonnie HeavensBonnie Heavens Hoffman EstatesMember Posts: 40
    edited 10 May, 2007
    We both eat Innova Evo dry...and we love it! My coat is shiney and I dont have flakies (dandruff) anymore! Chloe is so shiney she almost looks like a little black panther!! Finding a wet food replacement has been very difficult, so we are very thankful for the Evo dry giving us the nutrition we need :D
    edited 12 May, 2007
    I am excited to try Innova EVO dry. Does anyone eat Wellness Wet Food? Mew, Fri
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 12 May, 2007
    I eat Innvoa EVO canned. It is not part of the recall. I don't like Wellness canned food but I'm also very picky about my food. Another good dry food to try is Nature's Variety. There is a grain-free one called Raw Instinct. It's similar to EVO dry.
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 12 May, 2007
    We just started on the Raw Instinct this week! Mom moxed it wioth our EVO, the grain free diet has given our rear ends a bit of a problem, but it's been nearly a month now and it's getting better, Mom is giving us fiber with our wet snack, of course I was already on fiber for my colon issues anyhow.
    edited 12 May, 2007
    I thought the canned EVO was part of the recall? How do most kitties adjust to the grain free food? Anyone else have a comment on if it is easy to chew? Do you kitties eat the EVO by itself or do your parents supplement it with some homemade food sometimes? Thanks!
    edited 12 May, 2007
    EVO canned does not contain any wheat gluten or grains. Here is the company's press release Grain-free food is easy to adjust to. Just slowly transition to it over a week or so to avoid upsetting your stomach, just as with any other food. EVO dry and canned do not need to be supplemented in any way.
    edited 12 May, 2007
    Thanks Merlin! Now, here's the final question. What would be better for a 13 year old cat: Innova senior dry cat food or Innova EVO dry cat food? They say the senior food has more protein than regular Innova (but so does EVO) more fiber, glucosamine for joints and antioxidants. Do you think the Evo has enough fiber cause I do seem to be struggling in the bathroom sometimes. Maybe feed Senior dry and EVO canned? Purrs, Fri
    edited 12 May, 2007
    EVO dry is a better choice. It's lower in carbs, which is not very good for a senior feline like you. To help with the joints, you can try treats with the special ingredients for healthy joints. HappyHips is one.
    edited 12 May, 2007
    What do you think about fiber?
    edited 12 May, 2007
    EVO has .4 g of fiber per 100kcal. The Senior does have more fiber. So if you'd like, you can feed some Senior dry with the EVO canned.
  • Sarah ManolisSarah Manolis San FranciscoMember Posts: 148
    edited 12 May, 2007
    On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I have a 9 week old boy and was wondering if he should be on just dry while he\'s free-feeding, or if I should start to supplement some canned maybe in the morning or at night. I\'m going to be switching him over to Innova EVO Cat & Kitten if he takes to it well. We\'re going to try it in the next week, once the order comes in. I\'m just wondering about the canned. I\'ve read here and other places that Merrick\'s makes a good canned. Any other suggestions or recommendations?
    edited 12 May, 2007
    You can feed both canned and dry. Any premium brand is good. I personally don't like Merrick or Wellness and a few other brands but others do.
    edited 13 May, 2007
    Hey Merlin, Well, as I was suspecting, I think Fri is a bit constipated. I just went into the bathroom and there was blood in the litter-box and on the floor. He has been meowing in the middle of the night too, the past few days. We took him to the vet last week for a full geriatric workup and everything was fine but they diagnosed him with high blood pressure. Do you think this is just constipation or something more? We are going to bring him to the vet as soon as we can, but there are no vets in the area we are in and it is a Sunday. I have seen blood in his stool a few times before, just a scant amount, but nothing like this. I have also noticed that he will go into the bathroom, look at the box and then come out, without going - but he still urinates normally. We have been switching his food all around too which makes me think he is constipated. Concerned mommy of Fri
    edited 13 May, 2007
    Blood in poop is not a good thing. Please see the vet soon. Try a different vet for a second opinion. Feeding some canned pumpkin can help with constipation but this is only a short-term solution. Hunter may be able to give you advice.
    edited 13 May, 2007
    thanks merlin. we will get him to a vet as soon as we can but will try pumpkin in the meantime. my bf just noticed like a little tear on his behind...