Over vitamin-ing... problem?

Clarissa ChapmanClarissa Chapman Rantoul, Champaign, ChicagoMember Posts: 9
edited 12 May, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
We get one chewable vitamin everyday and have never had any problems. We eat Science Diet and Royal Canin which also has vitamins and nutrients added. Am I overdoing it with the tablets? Is this dangerous? We're young and have never had health problems. Vitamin advice?

Comments

• Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 12 May, 2007
    I recommend chatting with your vet to see if you need the extra vitamin pill. Usually the cat food out there is pretty good at giving you everything you need, so you really shouldn't need the extra vitamin pill. I would say that the big risk in over-dosing on vitamins (among other things) is that too much vitamins could be hard on the kidneys (if water-soluable vitamins) and could lead to kidney failure. Fat-soluable vitamins could potentially poison you if you have too much of that vitamin, since they would all end up in your body's fat cells (if you have any fat MOL!!!). Seriously, tho, best to check with your vet to see if you need the vitamin pill. They would know what's best for you.
  • Clarissa ChapmanClarissa Chapman Rantoul, Champaign, ChicagoMember Posts: 9
    edited 12 May, 2007
    Thanks for the quick reply! I\'ll contact my vet next week and see what he thinks. Stop the vitamin insanity! :))