Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Felidae: will they learn to like it?

CYNTHIA KERRCYNTHIA KERR FayettevilleMember Posts: 542
edited 22 May, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
I switched the cats a couple of weeks ago from the Authority brand dry cat food to Felidae and they don't like it!!!! I figured because Felidae is the obviously better food for them that they would love it, but they don't. Three of the cats are "tolerating" it after some protesting, but my Beaker just won't touch the stuff. I don't want to put them back on the Authority brand (even thought they LOVED it). Do you think I should just wait it out and let them get used to this one? Is there a brand just as good as Felidae that you think they may like better?

Comments

• Lis CareyLis Carey Member Posts: 5,402
    edited 21 May, 2007
    Did you transition them gradually, or just switch them suddenly? If you just switched them, I'd go back to Authority, and then do a gradual transition. Cats tend to be very conservative about food.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 21 May, 2007
    Maybe your cats just don't like Felidae. Other good brands are Innova EVO, Nature's Variety, Merrick, Timberwolf Organic, and By Nature.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 May, 2007
    It's better to switch them gradually, an abrupt change can upset a kitty's stomach and cause diarrhea. Healthy foods don't necessarily taste better. A lot of lower quality foods have extra fats and flavors sprayed on the outside of the kibble to make them taste good (sort of like the cheese on Cheetos). Higher quality foods don't usually have that sort of artificial flavor-enhancement. The new food may seem kind of bland at first, it will probably take a little time to adjust.
  • Tiffany McConnellTiffany McConnell OmahaMember Posts: 30,862
    edited 21 May, 2007
    I agree with the others, go back and gradually changer them over to Felidae. Now, if you've got REALLY stubborn cats, they might pick the stuff out! But I dont want to worry you. Heehee.... just like kids.... if its good for you, it tastes bad!! MOL!
  • CYNTHIA KERRCYNTHIA KERR FayettevilleMember Posts: 542
    edited 22 May, 2007
    I would like to try a few different foods to see if they "take" to one but would that be unhealthy for them or cause upset tummys to keep changing bag after bag like that? I didn't think to change them over gradually....I don't know why. That would be so obvious!
  • Elizabeth ClarkeElizabeth Clarke BerkeleyMember Posts: 1,818 ✭✭
    edited 22 May, 2007
    Personally, I love Felidae! It's what I got fed at the shelter before Mom adopted me, and she decided to keep me on it. But I think the advice the other cats is giving is good -- switch gradually, maybe try mixing in a little Felidae with the food you're eating now.