Feeding help needed

Sherri BackersSherri Backers Member Posts: 2
edited 21 May, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
I'm new to this forum but I'm in need of some help. Hi. I hope you can give me a little advice. We have a 17.2 pound female Maine Coon. We don't know her exact age as she was an adult when we rescued her from an animal shelter over ten years ago. She is approximately 12-13 years of age with no health problems except her weight. Our vet says she's overweight and that we should only feed her 1/2 cup of Hill's Prescription R/D food every day (was using W/D before the recall). I feed her 1/2 cup twicer per day and have been for several weeks but she eats what I give her immediately and then begs for more. She starts meowing around 5:30 a.m. for feeding and after she's eaten all of it meows again. Her meowing is constant. She's older so I don't want her go go hungry but I don't want her having health problems due to her weight. If it helps any our vet thinks she should weigh only 10-12 pounds but with her length she would look malnourished. She's approximately 32 inches long from the tip of her nose to the tip of her tail (actual tail not the fur that extends beyond). Everyone that meets her remarks about how large she is.