Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

The Switch to Merricks (any advice?!)

Becky KrailBecky Krail Walnut CreekMember Posts: 69
edited 3 June, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Mom went and and got Merricks for us (lots of different flavors too) but after a few tries Ben and I don't like eating it, and just eat the dry food mom gives Ruby. She wants to know if she should keep giving this to us, or should she try another brand? She mashes it up into pate form for me, but it isn't my fancy feast! How have you other kitties done on your switch to Merricks?

Comments

• Barbara OrrBarbara Orr OhioMember Posts: 1,051
    edited 22 May, 2007
    There are several varieties and meowmy bought a sample pack of the 8 different ones. There are ones we don't like but also ones we do. Meowmy realized she needs to start keeping track if this is food she's going to keep buying. BUT she also just read from another post that says Merrick has a bad reputation for having "objects" in their food? Meowmy doesn't know what that's all about so hopefully she will find out soon! Have you ever seen Nature's Variety food canned?? Meowmy has bought a few of those and we kinda liked those. Oreo
  • Diane HallwirthDiane Hallwirth PoulsboMember Posts: 20,342
    edited 22 May, 2007
    Turtle and I like Merrick, but it gave Turtle diarrhea and Diego wouldn't eat it at all...so we switched to Wellness and we all love it! And Turtle's tummy is much better! The Merrick dry gave two of our dogs upset tummys as well, and mama was mixing it with their regular food...
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 22 May, 2007
    Have you tried all the flavors? If not, it could be that you just haven't tasted the one you like yet. I only like a couple of them (California Roll, Ocean Breeze, and Turducken).
  • Emma MendiolaEmma Mendiola Suisun CityMember Posts: 59
    edited 1 June, 2007
    I also bought the variety pack, but neither of my cats liked any of the flavors. Zelda would eat a little, leaving most of it behind, but Link wouldn't eat any of it at all. I think he also didn't like the texture. He's picky about that. He would skip the meal all together rather than eat it, so I ended up wasting a bit of food. They both love Innova Evo and California Natural. They both really like Wellness and Nature's Variety, but both of those canned foods contain garlic. Even though just a little, I've been warned against garlic in any amounts. In trying to find the best food for my cats, I read about a lot of different brands, read a lot stuff from forums, read a lot of ingredient labels, and over the course of about 5-6 months tried out differnt flavors of different brands and kept note of what they liked. Now we're all happy.
  • Michelle BrunnerMichelle Brunner BlairsvilleMember Posts: 11,194
    edited 1 June, 2007
    Hi guys, I just received the Merrick Gourmet Entrees Variety Pack along with Felidae Chicken & Rice wet foods. Merrick is rather rich for my tummy because I have Irritable Bowel Disease. Mom though mixes a tsp of it in with my Felidae and that adds a little more moisture and zip to the taste. I am a kitty who takes awhile to adjust to new foods. Mom also received Verus Life Advantage Feline dry and I LOVE IT! Mom just gives that to me twice a day as a treat especially if I've been a good boy and clean my plate. Good Luck with your foods. Keep us posted!
  • Julie BennettJulie Bennett TorontoMember Posts: 280
    edited 1 June, 2007
    Give all the flavours of Merrick a try before you write it off. My Mommy tried lots of different ones some we turned our nose up at at and some we loved. They have many flavours and different textures too (texture is about 90% of the appeal for us). If you are picky like us you will have to try until you get one you like. My Mommy has also found that she needs to have a few flavours we like and rotate since we get \"bored\" with a flavour very quickly. We will love one flavour one day but please don\'t force us to eat the same thing TWO days in a row! That is uncivilized! We also like Eagle Pack too, shrimp flavour....mmm... yummy.. Official Food Connoisseur of the House Milo P.S. Mommy says that that is she blended up the food like a smoothie everytime that we would eat every last drop since we like to lick the food, not bite it. What kind of an eater are you?
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 June, 2007
    I eat several of the Merrick. Mom thought I didn't like the Calf. Roll, which has fish, lobster, etc. I surprised her by licking the bowl clean! It might be a little rich, and the first time I ate it, I ate fast and then threw it up. Now mom coaxes me to slow down. I like 3 of the blends. Sometimes I'm picky so mom will put two different ones down for me. I'll eat one and then come back a little later and eat the other! But I do absolutely adore my dry VeRUS Feline Advantage!
  • Karyn LehmannKaryn Lehmann redlandsMember Posts: 247
    edited 3 June, 2007
    Oreo: Merrick had a recall a few YEARS ago for not catching the metal tags on kosher chicken wings before they were canned. No dogs were harmed and they handled the recall very quickly and professionally. to the op. Not every food is right for every cat. pick your faves & go with it. there are a few varieties of merrick the we won't eat, some wellness some Tiki Cat , etc...