Canned food.

Jessica CobbJessica Cobb Gastonia/CharlotteMember Posts: 91
edited 29 May, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
I know there are posts like this almost everyday, but I just need advice. I've decided to slowly transition my three furry babies over to a canned food diet. My only problem is finding the right food. My top picks are Innova, Merricks, Wellness, Artemis, and Evanger's. Innova is made by menu foods, so that makes me nervous although I trust Natura. Merricks isn't made by menu, but has a pretty bad reputation for having nasty objects in their cans of food, not good quality control. Wellness is made by menu also, and has garlic which I'm not sure about. Artemis I don't know very much about, I'd love some input if anyone feeds their cat that food. And the same with Evanger's, I just don't know much about the company or anything. I've research, but just can't come up with much on the last two. Help?

Comments

• Barbara OrrBarbara Orr OhioMember Posts: 1,051
    edited 22 May, 2007
    I am curious what you heard about Merrick canned food. I was thinking it was one of the best you can buy now. I have my kitty, Oreo on meow mix pouch food and the ones in the little cups. I have been trying to get him switched to another brand.
  • Barbara OrrBarbara Orr OhioMember Posts: 1,051
    edited 22 May, 2007
    I am curious what you heard about Merrick canned food. I was thinking it was one of the best you can buy now. I have my kitty, Oreo on meow mix pouch food and the ones in the little cups. I have been trying to get him switched to another brand.
  • Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 22 May, 2007
    Evangers is a good food I can recommend. I like the turkey cat food and the mackeral. The pheasant is ok in small doses. Merrick canned cat food has not had any problems and is a good food, although some days I like it and some days I don\'t. ;) Another good canned food not made by Menu is By Nature Organics. It\'s made at the same plant as Evangers. Wellness is supposedly one of the best cat foods but my mom can\'t recommend it. The last two times I ate the chicken & herring I vomited it up and my sister got sick afterwards and lost her appetite and we don\'t know why. The food sometimes appears to be thick & greasy and might be too rich for our tummies.
  • Mia McGregorMia McGregor South FloridaMember Posts: 69
    edited 23 May, 2007
    Have you tried Nature's Variety-their canned foods are very good too. I recently took in a stray (who still needs a home) and her coat was dry and her skin was all scaly-I've been feeding mostly wet of the canned Nature's Variety and a few kibbles of Innova Evo and her coat is so soft know and her skin is no longer scaly-in about 6 weeks...they are also supposed to be a premium food-they also have the frozen raw and raw freeze dried diets.
  • Vanessa NielsonVanessa Nielson Member Posts: 21
    edited 23 May, 2007
    I introduced my cats to Innova Lite soft cat food a few months ago. I also recently switched them over from Purina kibble to Innova Reduced Fat. So far I haven't had any problems and my cats don't seem to feel they have to constantly gorge themselves, like they did with the old food. I also haven't had any incidences of them throwing up during the switch. I'm not sure what you mean by it being a "menu food," but no problems here. I would highly recommend Innova. Just be careful about their normal adult food, it has a relatively high fat content. I've heard that some people like to rotate their pets through different foods. It prevents them from becoming dependent on a single type and it also gives the animals a more varied diet. Not to mention, this allows the opportunity to try different foods and compare them. I did this for a while when I was looking for a good soft food. It's not a technique for everyone though.
  • Ingrid BaerIngrid Baer Red DeerMember Posts: 149
    edited 23 May, 2007
    I'm currently on Evangers. It's made at it's own private facility, so mom feels safe about giving it to me. I eat the Organic Braised Chicken, though I spent a week or so on the Pheasant (I liked it at first, then decided I didn't like it anymore, so I'm back on the Organic Chicken). One thing mom noticed about the Evangers versus Chicken Soup and Merricks and such, is that Evangers doesn't have that dark colored "skin" at the bottom of the can. When she'd scoop out the Chicken Soup or Merricks, there'd be a darker colored skin at the bottom; some would stick to the can, some would peel off and fall into the food bowl with the canned food. It's probably just an after-effect of the cooking process, but mom felt icky about it. The Evangers doesn't have that, though the food IS a little darker than the above-mentioned foods.
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 23 May, 2007
    Merrick Wing-a-Ling canned dog food had a problem last year because the supplier of the chicken wings left the metal tags on the chickens so they ended up in the food (which Wing-a-Ling is just a few chicken wings in a can). They immediately recalled it as soon as they found out about the metal tags. But I still think Merrick is a great food. I don't know much about Evanger's. I like Wellness and Innova EVO as well, but both of those are made by Menu Foods, so it's hard not to be a little wary of them.
  • Jessica CobbJessica Cobb Gastonia/CharlotteMember Posts: 91
    edited 24 May, 2007
    Well I was in the process of deciding between Evangers and Wellness. I sat down and figured out how much it would be for my three kitties, and it turned out to be about $35/wk. How do people afford feeding their cats only canned food?? I\'m on a college student budget, and that just wont\' work. :-/
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 May, 2007
    I know what you mean, Aglaia! Our mom got me and my brother Arthur when she was just a poor college student, too. For the first three or four years of our lives, we ate Friskies (wet and dry). Over the years, we've been fed foods of increasing quality (or price, anyway) as our mom could afford it. But the truth is (*whispers*) we thrived on all of them! Ultimately, an all-wet premium-food diet might be good for you, but it might not be the right time to begin it. If your mom is feeding you the best wet, dry, or wet/dry combination that she can afford to feed you, I'm sure you'll be fine until she's done with school. Good luck! |:|
  • Renee LopezRenee Lopez AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 318
    edited 25 May, 2007
    If you want to avoid foods manufactured by Menu, you will want to take Wellness off of your list. Alex loves Wellness canned...ALOT! I tried switching him after finding out that Wellness canned is produced by Menu. We tried Merrick - he hated it. We tried Spot's Stew - he really hated that one. He seems to really like the paté variety of canned vs. the chunky kind. Innova EVO is a nice one that he likes alot. Felidae is another good one. He is back on Wellness, I buy only the Grain Free varieties. He does really well on it so, even against my beliefs with the whole Menu thing, I keep him on it. He also gets Solid Gold kibble.
  • Brooke SchullerBrooke Schuller San DiegoMember Posts: 1
    edited 28 May, 2007
    my at demands and loves his wellness formula moist food. he also likes the crunchies, but due to price issues, we feed them evo innova dry, grain free formula crunchies. he wont touch the felidae - just whines and complains about wanting more of the wellness.
  • Renee LopezRenee Lopez AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 318
    edited 29 May, 2007
    Aglaia - feeding all wet food can get pricey. I don't know how much you normally eat, but Alex gets 1/4 can of wet food a day (the 5.5 oz. cans of Wellness No Grain varieties) and he free feeds on kibble (Solid Gold Katz-N-Flocken transitioning to Natures Variety Prairie Raw Instinct). He eats ~1/4 cup of the kibble a day. A 4 lb. bag of kibble lasts about a month. So, I spend ~$20 a month, and that is a high estimate. I noticed that Alex eats less of the super premium stuff and that supplementing his kibble with wet has made a world of difference in his health and appearance.