Speaking of Wellness...

Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
edited 6 July, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
We got a sample of Wellness dry in the mail and we LOVE it! We love it so much, we don't want our regular stuff anymore. But then, maybe it's just be the novelty of it? :-k We've been eating Nutro Natural Choice (dry, we haven't had their wet since the recall) for quite a while now and have been doing fine on it. Mom's thinking about switching us, but she's not sure. So you kitties who eat or have eaten Wellness, what do you think about it? Is it worth it to switch?

Comments

• Jessica CobbJessica Cobb Gastonia/CharlotteMember Posts: 91
    edited 24 May, 2007
    We got our free sample in the mail too, but haven't tried it yet. I'm glad you liked it!
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 24 May, 2007
    Free samples? Lucky you! We eat Wellness and we LOVE it! It is the yummiest food in the world! Mom initially switched us off it after the recalls, just because Wellness canned is made by Menu Foods, but we made it clear that we would settle for nothing less than Wellness dry. So now we are eating it again. Mom says I shed less since eating it, and my fur looks shinier too. I have nothing but great things to say about Wellness!
  • Melinda BMelinda B Member Posts: 1,628
    edited 24 May, 2007
    Kitties, just be aware, they changed their recipe lately and it now contains fish. I don't know whether or not that affects you, but just be aware:-k
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 24 May, 2007
    I eat the fish flavor (Salmon, Turkey, & Herring Oil Formula) anyway because it's my favorite one. So that doesn't really affect me, :)). But thanks for letting us know!
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 26 May, 2007
    I feed Wellness wet kitten food to the kittens I'm fostering and they LOVE it! It has a very strong aroma and doesn't have gross fillers that make you question what's really in it. I tried it on my own girls and guy and the guy loved it, unfortunately they don't make a senior version otherwise Jabba could try it too I'm sure she'd like it too. Natasha is so fussy although she did eat a few bites of the Chicken and Lobster variety so that's more than some brands can say!
  • Heidi PaulsonHeidi Paulson Member Posts: 2,785
    edited 26 May, 2007
    me and my sister dont eat it but are dog sister eats it and she loves it! So mom is thinking about swithching our food to wellness
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 26 May, 2007
    I lovelovelove Wellness wet food...esp our favourite Turkey and Salmon flavour. Casey likes it a lot too. Donny is okay with it, but I think he prefers dry food...esp his Orijens.
  • Christine UnversawChristine Unversaw EvanstonMember Posts: 3,321
    edited 2 June, 2007
    I had a bad experience with wellness...maybe its because I have a sensitive stomach, but after a few weeks I stopped eating and was extremely gassy and bloated. Its a rich food, so if you start eating it, just be sure to let your owner know if you're not feeling too well.
  • Jennifer MacNaughtonJennifer MacNaughton PhiladelphiaMember Posts: 19
    edited 8 June, 2007
    Ha, too funny! We got a coupon for Wellness (they ran out of free samples, boo...) and the humans bought us a small bag. Now I refuse to go back to the Science Diet. I'm on a hunger strike until they go buy some more!
  • Lisa CoteLisa Cote Member Posts: 1
    edited 16 June, 2007
    My vet told my Mom to feed me wellness because I was throwing up my other food. I didn\'t like it and I would not eat it. In fact I went almost three days without eating till Mom got me something else.
  • Kim WashburnKim Washburn LouisvilleMember Posts: 1,057
    edited 19 June, 2007
    Would someone please explain why the fish would be bad? Is it because of kitties like my brother Felix who has constant urinary problems? My mommy is tired, sick and can't remember right now. I just think she's getting old. ;)
  • Lindsay PoveromoLindsay Poveromo Winter SpringsMember Posts: 350
    edited 19 June, 2007
    We used to eat Wellness, but mom and dad switched us to Innova EVO because our local pet boutique stopped carrying the Wellness. Wellness is an absolutely wonderful food. We say make the switch!
  • Goolnar HawGoolnar Haw Member Posts: 2,525
    edited 24 June, 2007
    we all eat wellness at our house...myself & my doggy brothers...we all love it!!!!!=D>=D>%:D%;c;
  • Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 24 June, 2007
    Wellness is a very good food. We eat Wellness canned, the turkey and turkey & salmon. It is rich and thick and meowmy always mixes water into the food to loosen it & make it thinner, which we prefer. |^|
  • Vanessa NielsonVanessa Nielson Member Posts: 21
    edited 29 June, 2007
    Big Hairy recently tried the wet food and loved it. Right now we're considering switching his wet food from Innova Lite to Wellness (there is only a 1% difference in fat content). I'm still not sure if I want to try switching dry foods, since Innova makes both a reduced fat and a senior dry food, and Wellness doesn't. I have a few weeks before my current dry food stock will run low, so I have time to consider my options. Anyhow, please keep us posted on your progress with Wellness. A lot of people on the forums have had only good things to say about it.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 29 June, 2007
    Fish is high in phosphorus which can cause UTIs. Phosphorus is hard on the kidneys so felines with kidney problems should not eat fish. Here is some info: Tuna is not your cat's best friend Fish canned food is ok once in awhile, just not every day. Our main diet should consist of muscle-meat: chicken, turkey, beef, etc. Am I the only one who doesn't like Wellness? :( It is good canned food but I refuse to eat it.
  • D GarmanD Garman RichmondMember Posts: 745
    edited 30 June, 2007
    Merlin, you are not alone. My mom liked the ingredients and brought home a sample for me to try. (She's learned the hard way to check with me before commiting to the big bag.) I would nibble at the dry but I won't touch the wet. I don't like it, I only nibble the dry when I'm famished. She's a little upset because she WANTS me to eat quality food, I just don't like it. I tolerate Blue Buffalo dry cat food right now. Mom's going to try me on Felidae or Kirkland's cat food when I'm done the BB.
  • Candy AndersonCandy Anderson Member Posts: 503
    edited 6 July, 2007
    Its well worth it! Wellness is a great food, same with Innova and Orijen :) I noticed weight loss in my fatter cat and improved fur and activeness. I used to feed my mews C'/D Science Diet, until I learnt that theres much better food out there! I used to think that SD was a good food because it was recomended by vets and they sold it there. Now I know better which thanks to the recall or I would probably still be feeding that garbage to them. Sorry if it offends anyone but thats my personal opinion on science diet. Its filled with fillers and by products and such. On c/d my cats were lazy, one kitty got so sick he would puke and lose hair and had sunken in eyes. My ex vet related it to him being old! At 7 years! Thats not old! As soon as I started on Orijen after a week he had his hair coming back, his eyes looked bright and healthy and he was like a young kit again. So Orijen is my choice if you can find it, its grain free and yum yum. Theres a lot of good protein so don't let the vet talk you into that its way way too much protein for them because its not, its not the guanty its the guality of the protien and its the grain proteins that do the damage not the meat protiens :)
  • Candy AndersonCandy Anderson Member Posts: 503
    edited 6 July, 2007
    I think fish is bad because its preserved in stuff so it lasts or something to do with that process, fresh fish is fine for kitties :)