Worried

Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
edited 4 June, 2007 in Cat Health
Hello Everycat! Mom is worried about me again. I went to the bathroom in grandmas room and I Would NEVER do that if something wasn't wrong. I have been drinking and eating and playing just like I always do. Mom cant tell if its because she didn't clean out my box good enough or what. She took me on a stroller ride that seemed to kinda stress me out today but other then that mom cant think of what could make me do that. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Love, Ruben

Comments

• Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 31 May, 2007
    Oh Ruben, I am so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Maybe your mom should call the vet. I hate to think of you feeling badly. We will be purrrrrrrrring for you. Let us know how you are doing. Purrrs, Diego
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 31 May, 2007
    Hmm.... I do know of some cats (myself included) who protest dirty litter boxes by doing our business elsewhere. But I suppose a trip to the vet (or even a phone call) wouldn't hurt. I hope nothing's wrong with you, Ruben! Sometimes when kitties go outside of the box, it means they have a UTI, but I hope that's not the case. If it is, you'll just need to take some antibiotics though. Purrs, Lucky Boo
  • Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
    edited 31 May, 2007
    Mom is going to take me to the vet tomorrow. She had to work tonight but she is going to call early tomorrow. She noticed that I have been trying to go to the bathroom and only getting little drops out so she is afraid there is some kind of blockage which she knows is serious. It just doesn't make any sense because i am acting normal, Playful, Eating not in pain or anything. Say a prayer for me kitties. love, Ruben
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 31 May, 2007
    Reuben, if you are only getting drops out when you urinate, you should be seen tonight. Go in on emergency if you have to, but I really wouldn't wait until morning. Male kitties can become blocked very quickly and can have serious consequences in as little as a few hours. Purring for you! (I'm pmailing this to you too).
    edited 1 June, 2007
    Good news! Well so far anyway. I am not blocked but the vet is keeping me there today so she can get a urine sample and do an exam on me. They are starting me off with some antibiotics just to make sure I dont become blocked. Keep purring for me, Mom will update you when she finds out more. Love, Ruben
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 June, 2007
    I'm so glad you went to the vet right away. This will nip it in the bud! purring for you, Hazel Lucy
  • Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 1 June, 2007
    Ruben, I am purring very hard for you. |:|
    edited 1 June, 2007
    Thank you all very much for the purrs. Mom still hasn't heard anything yet but they have to wait for me to go to the bathroom. I drank a ton this morning so hopefully I wont have to stay the night. Mom knows I'm very finicky when it comes to using the litter box though. keep purring.
    edited 1 June, 2007
    See if they can perform a cystocentesis. If your bladder is large enough they should be able to put a needle directly into it. This way you will be able to go home today and also it will be a sterile sample, so they can run a culture on it if necessary.
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 1 June, 2007
    |:| Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring for you Ruben!!!!!
  • Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 2 June, 2007
    Hi Ruben. We hope you are doing better. Purring for you buddy! Velvet, Marina and Tosca
  • Christine UnversawChristine Unversaw EvanstonMember Posts: 3,321
    edited 2 June, 2007
    Hope you're doing well!!! Purrrrrr -Captain
  • FelixFelix Member Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 June, 2007
    Hope you're feeling better, Ruben. I'm purring for you! |bb| Felix
  • Ann HallettAnn Hallett Costa MesaMember Posts: 144
    edited 2 June, 2007
    Purrrrrrrrs, Ruben. Feel better!!!!
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 2 June, 2007
    Purring for you and hoping you are feeling better and will be able to come home soon!
  • Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
    edited 2 June, 2007
    PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Feel Better Soon Gracie, Checkers, and Heidi in Memory
    edited 3 June, 2007
    Thanks everycat! I love each and every one of you. I still didn't go to the bathroom but the vet says my bladder is empty and I am not blocked. Mom is keeping me there until they can get a sample just in case I become blocked and that way they are there. She wont get to see me till Monday and that is if I go potty. She misses me sooo much and this is the longest we have ever been apart. She just hopes I don't think that she dumped me there or something. :(( So please keep purring that I finally go potty OK? Lots of love, Ruben
  • Mia McGregorMia McGregor South FloridaMember Posts: 69
    edited 3 June, 2007
    I had a very red appearing anal area and intermittent stinky diarrhea when I was found. I was diagnosed with hookworms and given Drontal. This was repeated later as they again found hookworms in my poopies on a recheck and I received Drontal again. My stools firmed up and were essentially normal but my butt continued to be red (my perianal area to be correct). Another vet checked my poops and found I had 3 types of worms-hookworms, roundworms and whipworms. She said she had not seen whipworms in a cat in over 10 years!! She again gave Drontal but I vomited it up that time so she gave me Panacur instead(you take this for 5 days and then 5 days again after a few weeks and then 5 days again after 10 weeks, or something like that). The reason this is dosed like that is that the medication is only effective to kill the worms at certain of their life cycle stages so you may miss killing some if they are not at that particular stage in their life cycle. I seemed OK but 6 mos later my butt started to get red again and mom saw a YUCKY dead worm in my poops (I don't like to cover my poops). I got another round of Panacur and we started using disposable litter boxes so I had fresh litter daily and hence decreased the chances of becoming reinfected. My butt is no longer red and my stools have been of normal consistency since then. The long and short of it is it took 4 rounds of worm medicine to get my problem under control and it seems the Drontal was ineffective..
    edited 3 June, 2007
    Well I am only having problems Urinating so I don't think its worms. Thank you so much for your advice though. They just need to get a urine sample and then I am good to go. They did an exam on me and said I looked very healthy so at least I have that going for me. Purrs Love, Ruben
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 3 June, 2007
    Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring for the Potty!!!!
    edited 3 June, 2007
    Purrr! Just think of waterfalls..flowing water...rivers... You can do it!
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 June, 2007
    Sweet Ruben, You have been added to the List on page 1 of the Catsters in Need of Serious Purring thread. Feel free to post your updates. Purring for water to flow!
  • Melissa RyanMelissa Ryan Fall RiverMember Posts: 401
    edited 3 June, 2007
    I'm so glad you got to the doctor right away! Not peeing can be really scary cuz there are 3 different things it could be. Crystals are serious, but since the vet said there's no blockage you should be ok. Most likely it's a UTI or a bladder issue! I had UTI last month and I know it's not fun! I hope you get better soon so meowmy doesnt have to worry!
  • Mia McGregorMia McGregor South FloridaMember Posts: 69
    edited 4 June, 2007
    Sorry Ruben-I think I posted my message to you accidentally-was meant to be in another forum-my computer didn't send it through the first time and I went ahead and resent it and I think I clicked on the wrong forum the second time...:-/Silly me!!
    edited 4 June, 2007
    Well mom got to take me home from the vet today. They said I had blood and bacteria in my urine but no crystals and they are not worried about me becoming blocked. They prescribed some antibiotics and said I needed to come back in two weeks to get checked again. I am so happy to be home and thank you to all my friends who purred for me and sent rosettes and P mails. Lots of love, Ruben
    edited 4 June, 2007
    YEAH!!! I'm glad you are home. Hope you start to feel better soon. Purrs!
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 4 June, 2007
    Glad to hear you are home!
    edited 4 June, 2007
    Glad to see you're doing better!!! :D %:D%
  • Cheryl AyerCheryl Ayer RockportMember Posts: 330
    edited 4 June, 2007
    So happy to hear everything is well, Ruben. :)
  • FelixFelix Member Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 June, 2007
    Glad to see you're home, Ruben. Hope you feel better soon! Purrs, Felix