Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Flea and Tick Control for Indoor Cats

Kaitlin CorbeilleKaitlin Corbeille Seabrook/League City (Houston)Member Posts: 3,588
edited 3 June, 2007 in Cat Health
Hi everyone, I am about to adopt a cat and I was wondering how important flea and tick control products are for indoor cats? Do I also need to worry about heartworms if he never goes outside? We do have a dog and she is on Frontline and Heartguard. We are relatively new on Catster but are regulars on Dogster. Any help would be much appreciated! Edited for typo.

Comments

• Sarah ManolisSarah Manolis San FranciscoMember Posts: 148
    edited 3 June, 2007
    Hello - Flea and tick control (especially flea!!!) is VERY important for any cat, indoor or outdoor. If your dog goes outside, regardless of if he is treated, he may pass fleas to your cat. In these summer months, fleas will find their way on your animal. I had a strictly indoor kitten that I had hand-reared myself. I bathed her twice in one week and saw no fleas, not even in the bath water. About two months later, she was INFESTED. I don't know if the fleas followed me inside, or if they had gotten in through windows/doors, but she was covered. I always treated her after that and felt a lot better. As for brands, most vets carry Frontline and Advantix. I am using Frontline and it works great. My vet said that every several months, if you are noticing a general ineffectiveness, switch to the other product for a while. Sometimes fleas can become immune to one type of medication. It's good to cycle them to keep them off. As for Heartgard, I went into my vet's office fully prepared to buy it. My vet actually stopped me and said the percentage of cats that get it is so small that you're probably wasting your money. I told him my cat would be strictly indoor and he said that he wouldn't recommend me getting it for him. I took his word for it. (Who ever heard of anyone in the medical profession trying to SAVE you money?!) s & j
  • Kaitlin CorbeilleKaitlin Corbeille Seabrook/League City (Houston)Member Posts: 3,588
    edited 3 June, 2007
    Thanks for the help Jack!