A dog bit my cat

Orchid YourBestNightmareOrchid YourBestNightmare KyivMember Posts: 8
edited 13 June, 2007 in Cat Health
Kesha was staying at he countryside. I think he was chased by a dog as a huge piece of skin on his tail is torn out. He had bee sleping for 3 days without eating anything, but now he's getting active as usual. I don't know if I should take him to the vet... :-/

Comments

• Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 5 June, 2007
    Yes, take him to the vet ASAP. Not eating for three days can cause liver problems if not addressed. There could be infection, other unknown internal injuries, etc. The earlier you get these taken care of, the better chance he has of making a full recovery.
  • Sarah ManolisSarah Manolis San FranciscoMember Posts: 148
    edited 5 June, 2007
    YES. Please take him to the vet IMMEDIATELY. Cats are notorious for hiding illness/pain. It is an instinct. Just because he is active for the first time in three days does not mean that he is well. The fact that he hasn't eaten in three days is very, very dangerous, not just for the short-term, but the long-term as well. Lack of nutrition, even for a seemingly short period of time, can wreak havoc on his insides. He needs to be checked out ASAP! sarah & jack
  • Orchid YourBestNightmareOrchid YourBestNightmare KyivMember Posts: 8
    edited 5 June, 2007
    Thanx! But now he's eating as usual, he plays and does his usual activities. He just sometimes licks the wound, it looks like if it is getting healed... Taking him to the vet is also a problem as it's impossible to put him into the cat carrying basket because of the wound. And it's also impossible to hold him with bare hands.
  • Lis CareyLis Carey Member Posts: 5,402
    edited 5 June, 2007
    Take him to the vet. He needs the wound looked at, and he needs a blood screening, to see if the three days without eating did any damage.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 6 June, 2007
    It typically takes longer than 3 days for there to be any damage to the liver from not eating, but the wound should definitely be addressed. Step one, keep him from licking at it (use an e-collar). It will not heal if he continues to "clean" it. Step 2, get antibiotics. There is more than likely an infection, if not form the dog bite itself, but now from licking at the area. Surgical repair of the area may be necessary. From the sound of it, suturing, at the very least, may be in order. The longer a wound gets left untreated, the longer the recovery process. Please get into a vet first thing tomorrow to get this issue taken care of.
    edited 6 June, 2007
    He is getting better each day, but I think I will take him to the vet. Another problem is putting him into the cat carrying basket as I won't be able to hold him, he's quite wild.
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 6 June, 2007
    Try leaving the carrier out and putting food in it for a few days then he will go in on his own and you just have to shut the door. You should also advise you vet that this cat is a bit wild before bringing him in. It may make the diff b/w getting a more experienced vet and a newbie.
  • Amber GonzlaezAmber Gonzlaez San AntonioMember Posts: 9,175
    edited 6 June, 2007
    For gods sake TAKE THE CAT TO THE VET!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From the pictures on your page your cat looks tame enough to hold...he is cuddled up with a person in one picture and an elderly man is HOLDING him in another picture and a LITTLE BOY is petting him! Get your animal to the vet, PLEASE! I beg you! At the very least can't you wrap the cat in a blanket with only it's head sticking out and carry him in that way if you can't get him in a carrier? Would you like it if the skin was torn off your finger and you had no way of getting to the hospital and no way of telling anyone that you wanted to go???
    edited 6 June, 2007
    This is what is says in your bio: Every year we take Kesha to the Carpathians with us. He shakes 700 km in the car... How do you get him in the car to take the trip? Do the same thing to get him in the car and to the vets office! Maybe you can request their expert help to get him out of the car when you get there without hurting his precious tail.
  • Desiree JohnsonDesiree Johnson RosevilleMember Posts: 3,736
    edited 6 June, 2007
    I really hope you can get him to the vet.You could have somebody help you with your cat,like a spouse.Do you have some gloves?It's a little hard because it decreases the dexterity of your hands,but they'll keep the tip of your fingers intact. I've treated 3 dog bites before.They get infected quickly,and it's important to get it treated by a vet. Is the cat already protected from rabies?If he roams outside,then it's very important to get him the works.If you can't afford it,I'd let him in.
    edited 6 June, 2007
    Only mum can easily get him into the basket, But when we put him there, we need to curl his tail, so that it is not held straight, but he winds his body with it. And now it is wounded and we can't touch it, he doesn't let us.
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 6 June, 2007
    Because of potential pain to the tail when put in a carrier, is there a vet who can pay a house call? I know you live in a different country (and by the way, your English is incredible!!!), so I'm not sure if that service is available. If not, perhaps you can borrow a big carrier from someone so your kitty won't have to curl up so much? Just be sure to put a nice big towel in the carrier. I think the carrier won't hurt his tail so much, though. Just put a towel in so that it is soft for his injury.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 7 June, 2007
    Can you should figure out a way for him to go in his basket without curling his tail? If he's not letting you touch his tail, that's an indication that it hurts a lot. I let my mommy touch my tail all the time, except for the once or twice she's accidentally stepped on it while I was tripping her by darting between her legs. Else, do you have anything bigger that might suffice as a crate of sorts? Even if it's a roomy cardboard box (taped down to hold cargo securely) with enough air holes and blankets to keep him comfortable?
  • Camille KnutsonCamille Knutson Member Posts: 100
    edited 7 June, 2007
    Good call Boris - I was going to suggest a large cardboard box with some holes cut into the sides for ventilation too...PLEASE GET YOUR CAT TO THE VET HOWEVER WAY YOU NEED TO TRANSPORT HIM! He looks like a sweet kitty and I would hate to see him make it to the Bridge before his 9 Lives are up just because you won't take him to see a cat doctor. If it's a matter of the visit being too expensive, please call your vet and tell them the situation...they are usually more than happy to work with you on whatever the price may be just for the sake of the animal getting well. I'm not trying to be mean by saying this but how much more urging or advice do you need?? You posted your question and asked for advice. The longer you wait the more potential damage can happen and the vet bill will be a lot more expensive...GIT YUR KITTY TO THE VET PRONTO, KIDDO!!
    edited 13 June, 2007
    Hope this cat is all right!:(