Help! I have fleas and I\'m only 7 weeks old!!

Alyssa BellAlyssa Bell Glens Falls, NYMember Posts: 19
edited 23 June, 2007 in Grooming
My mommy took me home only a few days ago and she's trying to be the best mommy ever. She saw that I have fleas and she wants to do something about it, but I'm so young. Mommy read that most of the treatments in the stores are not safe for a little girl my age. I am an indoor cat now and there are no other cats in the house. What should she do? These pesty buggers keep biting me! :?

Comments

• Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 6 June, 2007
    Fleas can quickly cause anemia and death in kittens not to mention allergies and tapeworms...so we have tried and true things for the little ones. Two things that we've used on kittens as young as 10 days old: De Flea shampoo and spray by Natural Chemistry. This is not a pesticide and works by breaking down the waxy coat of the flea killing it instantly. It has a slightly sour taste so be sure to rinse good afterwards if you tend to lick/groom a lot. It is non-toxic and mild enough for mice and hamsters. Also: Neem shampoo by Tropiclean. It is not labelled to kill fleas but for itching caused by fleas. It does kill them, tho. Be sure and use the shampoo and not the dip. The dip smells VERY strong. The shampoo is very mild and will sooth your itchies too. Be sure not to get chilled after your bath. (You can use a blowdryer, too, just be sure and not burn yourself.) Good Luck! ~Jet Giotto~
  • Alyssa BellAlyssa Bell Glens Falls, NYMember Posts: 19
    edited 6 June, 2007
    Do you know if Advantage would work? Or is Beatrix too young? ~Alyssa
  • Sarah ManolisSarah Manolis San FranciscoMember Posts: 148
    edited 6 June, 2007
    Advantix and Frontline both begin at 8 weeks. If you can hold out for another week, you can take Beatrix in to get her first round of shots/tests and get her started on either one of those flea treatments. I use Frontline for Jack and three doses costs around 30-40 dollars. One dose lasts at least 6 weeks, so Beatrix would be set for about 4 months or so. If you're going to bathe her, try something mild like dish soap. I've used dish soap on Jack and it really helped keep the fleas under control until I could get him started on treatment. Sorry you've got those itchy critters, Bea! s & j
    edited 6 June, 2007
    I read that someone used dawn for 4 consecutive days and managed to get rid of all the fleas!! I'll have to go pick up a flea comb for Bebe so we can give it a try. I'm sure she'll love having FOUR baths LOL We'll get her to the vet within the next few weeks. I definitely want her to have her shots!
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 6 June, 2007
    Beatrix: The suggestions of the flea baths and spray will definitely help you until you are old enough for flea medicine. Flea combs are also a good way to make sure to catch them all, even the dead ones. Love your name - is your meowmy a fan of Beatrix Potter? Our meowmy is, and owned a beautiful book of her stories with reproductions of the original illustrations by Beatrix Potter. Visit us, Emma, Louis and Benny
    edited 6 June, 2007
    Hey Emma! Actually, my mom is a fan of Uma Therman and Kill Bill haha. (Uma's character is named Beatrix) It's such a cute name and I'm lucky to have it!! ;c; I don't want to have any baths but mom says I have to. I'll probably claw a lot to get out of it. Muahahahaaa! I'm hypuuurrrrrrr. Meow!
    edited 6 June, 2007
    Mom just gave me my first bath with dawn soap, and I HATED it!!! I was sooo traumatized that I had to latch onto her afterwards and I wouldn't let go! :( She told me she's doing it again tomorrow!! I don't wanna do this again. I get so cold! bbbrrrrrrrr!!!
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 7 June, 2007
    Dear Beatrix: I know you do not like baths, but please be patient with your meowmy. She is only doing this to make you better and get rid of those nasty fleas. Try hitting her up for some extra special treat after you have a bath. Do you like sardines.....YUM...YUM... Remember, sometimes our meowmy's do things to us that we think are really bad, for they have a good reason for doing this. God Bless your meomy for taking such good care of such a little furperson. Emma
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 June, 2007
    Maybe a towel warmed in the drier would feel good to wrap you in after your bath. Have your mommy warm several towels, some to dry you with, and some to make a nest for you to snuggle in for a nice nap afterwards.
  • Bonnie SchultzBonnie Schultz MuncieMember Posts: 515
    edited 7 June, 2007
    Our Momsie doesn\'t really like to put chemicals on us, so we get the flea comb everyday. Works for us!
  • Leo ShadowLeo Shadow Member Posts: 53
    edited 9 June, 2007
    I was infested with fleas when my Mom first brought me home. You could see them crawling all over me. She didn't want to take her chances with treatments since I was so small, so took me to the vet. He applied something that made them all hop off. I know I was still too young for Frontline which is what we use now, but cant remember what it was. I would save the hassle of the baths and consult the vet.
  • Veronica BaezVeronica Baez CaguasMember Posts: 402
    edited 9 June, 2007
    I have fleas too! my mommy has tried bathing me in flea and tick shampoo but it didnt work and I am also too young for treatment too but luckily this month I turn 3 months old and get to use flea killing things.....mol!;c;
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 9 June, 2007
    Use Dawn dish soap until 8 weeks of age, then Advantage (not AdvanTIX...which can kill cats) can be applied. Once you have that initial bath out of the way, daily flea combings should be sufficient.
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 11 June, 2007
    Mew when we were all flea covered mum used a flea comb and then gave us a bath, that covered most of it. At 8 weeks you can use advantage for kittens so do that, it will save you a lot of hassles!
  • Nicole VaughnNicole Vaughn PortlandMember Posts: 1,153
    edited 11 June, 2007
    I won't even use Dawn on our dishes, let alone our pets. I know, plenty of people (even some groomers) use this product to kill fleas, but ANY soap will do the same if left on long enough and there are plenty of more gentle products out there to do the job. DeFlea products are wonderful and there are an assortment of other kinder alternatives to be found here http://www.OnlyNaturalPet.com
  • edited 23 June, 2007
    hi
  • D GarmanD Garman RichmondMember Posts: 745
    edited 23 June, 2007
    Dawn works really well. My mom's used it on me and on many other kittens and puppies. Not sure why the one kitty has objections but it's worked wonders on us. If you're not terrified by the noise of a hair dryer (on very low heat) that can help get you dry nice and fast. I can't stand the noise, myself, so mommy just has to cuddle me warm. Good luck!