My ear is itchy!!

Mellissa AlcantaraMellissa Alcantara ManilaMember Posts: 5
edited 8 June, 2007 in Cat Health
My ear has been itching for a while now. I've been to the vet three times already! The medicine works for awhile but the itch comes back! Now the fur around my ear has fallen off :( In exchange, a wound has appeared! Is it okay if my owner puts bandages on it? And what can she use to clean it? Help me! It itches!!!!

Comments

• Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 7 June, 2007
    I was going to say it sounds like you have an ear infection. I know, I've had a couple. The vet gives Mommy ear drops and I fight her tooth and nail. Last year, it was so bad that I itched and scratched soooo much that there was a scab! Mommy put Bacitracin on it and the vet put something on there too so that it would heal, but we didn't put Bandaids on it. In a week or so it healed
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 June, 2007
    Did your Vet notice any mites, As they can be hard to get rid of. We found revolution works well on them. Just an idea:? Good luck with washing the ears. We use a little Hibicleanse in the water when I have my wounds washed. We get this from the Vet clinic.
  • Mellissa AlcantaraMellissa Alcantara ManilaMember Posts: 5
    edited 8 June, 2007
    I used to have an ear infection but it got healed already. During my last checkup, the vet cleaned out my ear (in exchange for a few scratches) but it just keeps coming back :( But I'll try what you guys said. Btw, the owner would like to say: "Thank you so much for replying!"
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 8 June, 2007
    You may need to do weekly cleanings. the ear infections can recur, especially if they were not completely gone in the first place. The hair loss and wound you are now seeing is likely form scratching at your ear. You may need to get an ecollar to prevent this, until the ear is completely healed. http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=10071