XXlg clumps of litter

Patty GilmorePatty Gilmore Lawrenceville,Member Posts: 62
edited 19 June, 2007 in Cat Health
My mom's concerned because she has to breakup the clumps of litter before she's able to pick them up with the scoop. They are XXlg. I have been throwing up my food also. I'm 15 years old and my last blood work was pretty good, but I was on the verge for diabetes. Does this sound like I went over the edge? She left a message for my vet (yuk) but hasn't heard back yet. Has anyone had anything similar to this? Purrrrs and 4, Monroe :?

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 11 June, 2007
    Diabetes can cause increased urine output resulting in big clumps. Diabetes is not fun to have but it is managable. I have diabetes myself. A low carb canned food only diet may help lessen the severity of the diabetes if you are diagnosed with it. A low-carb diet may even completely prevent diabetes in some cats who are on the verge of becoming diabetic. I recommend visiting these two web sites for more info: http://www.felinediabets.com and http://www.catinfo.org Please let us know what the vet says :)
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 11 June, 2007
    Adding that when I was diagnosed with diabetes, I had big sticky clumps of urine in my litter box. The clumps were sweet smelling because of the sugars in my urine. I used the litter box a lot and also drank a lot of water and ate a lot and lost weight. Are you showing these symptoms?
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 11 June, 2007
    I would repeat your bloodwork ASAP for diabetes. Diabetic cats may have increased thirst, increased appetite, increased urination, and weight loss. I would definately repeat the bloodwork ASAP, especially since you were borderline before. Good luck at the vet!
  • Cheryl AyerCheryl Ayer RockportMember Posts: 330
    edited 11 June, 2007
    Yes, definitely get checked out. Diabetes is very manageable in most kitties. Good luck! Sorry you have to go to the v-e-t.
  • Maili KnoxMaili Knox Member Posts: 4
    edited 11 June, 2007
    Ew, thats gross, my kitty poo is chunky and hard, but thats never happened, I understand why you dont like the vet, but it may be best to get there, I also heard if your 12 years of age or older, that is some what common
  • Patty GilmorePatty Gilmore Lawrenceville,Member Posts: 62
    edited 12 June, 2007
    Thanks for all the infurmation....yes, I drink a lot more now and I have lost weight. Of course, that was the plan. A plan I didn\'t really agree with! We still haven\'t heard back from the vet. My mom is going to check the web sites listed for infurmation on diabetes. Will keep you posted. Purrrrrrrs and 4, Monroe
  • Carrie ComerCarrie Comer Page CountyMember Posts: 888
    edited 12 June, 2007
    I didn't read your home page-are you an only? Mom thought I had massive pees till she caught Riley peeing on my spots and the result was a very large pee clump! When we don't overlap it's not much. She has thought the clumps were a bit artistic-when she was very sleep deprived. But you can control diabetes if that is what it is. Oh, we hope everything is ok. Getting old is not for the faint of heart! Good luck- Thomas
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 12 June, 2007
    MOL Thomas - your post was hilarious!! Monroe, I'd say to check with the vet even redo bloodwork just to make sure you haven't become diabetic. However, I can see that you have a largish family (comapred to me!) so what Thomas says could be possible....
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    edited 13 June, 2007
    I make big clumps too but mine is because of kidney problems. I don't properly make urine anymore and drink and pee A LOT! Definitely get checked out at the vet. My mom noticed I was losing some weight and took me in to find out I have kidney failure and hyperthyroid. She would never have known unless she took me to the yucky vet. Now I am being treated and doing quite well for an 18 year old kitty!
    edited 13 June, 2007
    :( I used to be an only once my brother and sister went to the bridge, but I got lonely. Now they call me the babysitter! I have 3 to look after. My mom thought of one of the babies peeing on top of my spot, but it looks as though it\'s one large spot. Unfortunately, I must go see the v-e-t tomorrow morning. I don\'t like it!!! HISSSSSSSSSS Matilda, my brother and sister had kidney disease and my brother Little Man had hyperthroidism as well. He went to RadioCat and got all better, but the kidney disease didn\'t go away. I think they call it a disease for us old kitties. Tig was 20 when she went to the bridge and Man 18. They lived a long time after being diagnosed. Hope you are feeling good! Purrrrrrs and 4, Monroe
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 13 June, 2007
    What kind of litter are you using? My Mommy uses S'Wheats for me and the Bailey foster family and sometimes she finds some AWFULLY strange looking (and LARGE) things in there... I am sure that your vet will give you good information and we are purring for you!
    edited 14 June, 2007
    Really bad news! I'm still at the v-e-t but told mom to let everyone know that it wasn't diabetes after all....it's kidney disease. My mom has already taken care of 2 with this terrible illness and she is very, very upset. They kept me here to take my blood pressure. They think maybe hypertension could be the problem causing the kidney problem. Also, they want to do an ultrasound to check my kidney's and heart. I don't like being here and get realllllly stressed out but the v-e-t said I had to stay a couple of hours. :((
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 14 June, 2007
    Monroe: Phoebe, Mommy and I are all very sorry to hear this...but perhaps things are just in the beginning stages. Keep us posted. The good news (if there is any) about kidney failure is that it often progresses slowly and we still can live a decent quality of life for quite a while with it. Best wishes, Spice
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 16 June, 2007
    Sorry to hear you have kidney disease. My brothers and I will keep you in our purrs. Hope you can come home soon!
    edited 19 June, 2007
    Mom took me by surprise this morning and I didn\'t have a chance to get behind the TV. I\'m going to have to get a new strategy! HISSSSSSS The mean man v-e-t put something over my face and tested me with an ultrasound machine this morning. I heard him tell mommy that my left kidney is so small it\'s almost gone. The good news is my right kidney is normal size with no stones, but it is renal deficient. I must now eat a special food (YUK!) and drink lots of water. He also said that my heart was really good and it might be 2 years until I get worst. I\'m counting on it being longer than that! The babies need me and I\'m going to hang in there as long as I can so I can take care of them! They have so much more to learn!!! Well, got to go now....I been away from home too long and Teddy, Blue and Layla have run wild!