wee! i\'m turning brown!

haley pouloshaley poulos LouisvilleMember Posts: 1,604
edited 3 July, 2007 in Grooming
i'm turning brown! that's ok, mom thinks its pretty... but why am i turning brown? i eat a high-quality, grain-free kitty kibble, i get brushed regularly, and i'm a healthy girl. any ideas? is this a bad thing? or is it normal for black kitties to turn brown? (i'm only browning on my legs and under tummy.) i'm 6 years old- ish, and my mom just wants to know what's going on! thanks guys!!!

Comments

• Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 19 June, 2007
    Hey Pearl: I am turning brown also. I was a year old in April, 2007. My coat on my back is still very black, but on mychest and tummy it is the color of very dark chocolate. My meowmy is not worried, she called the vet, and she said sometimes as a cat matures the coat may change color. Since my sister Emma and I were left at a vet hospital when we were two weeks old, we don't know what color our mom and dadcats were. Emma is still very black, oh, and I have some white hairs coming out on my tail. My meowmy said she is SURE those are not from worry (MOL). If your meowmy is worried, tell her to call her vet they are always the best place to check if you are worried about changes in your kitty. Also, another cat on CATSTER may have had the same thing happen, and can offer another suggestion. By the way, I think you are a very pretty kitty no matter what. Purrs, Louis
  • haley pouloshaley poulos LouisvilleMember Posts: 1,604
    edited 19 June, 2007
    thanks louis! next time i go for my checkup we'll bring it up with my doc. for now, i'm a happy, healthy gal, who is turning brown! mom says i'm the prettiest two-toned cat on the block!
  • Melissa RyanMelissa Ryan Fall RiverMember Posts: 401
    edited 19 June, 2007
    I agree that changing colors is normal. Now if you start losing your fur, there's an issue! I had a sister, Cookie, that looked just like you. When she was a baby she was all black. But when she got older, she got brown patches in some spots. It's a kitty thing!
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 19 June, 2007
    This is Delyte. I am turning brown, too. I never really was completely black and you can tell it in pictures where I was with Peri, my late companion. She was ink colored. I am getting rustier and rustier as I get older. The vet seems to think it is due to old age. There are worse things than going brown. I developed a white polka dot on my side where the growth was attached on the inside, and a white tuft on my chest where the incision was. Not a perfect black cat any more, that's for sure!
  • Julia MundyJulia Mundy NorfolkMember Posts: 218
    edited 20 June, 2007
    Sometimes, as in Delyte's case, it's a matter of maturing, but in cats who are just coming into their own, it's more about genetics. Since our lineage isn't really known (unless you're a purebred), the brown is just a little bit of the recessive mix (usually a tabby) coming out. I was pretty black (with silver roots) as a kitten, and my brother (litter mate), Jake, was a silver tabby. But now that we're a year old, the blackness of my fur has a reddish-brown quality to it, and Jake has an almost lilac-pinkness to it! Go figure! It's just from being a mixed breed. We agree with the other postings -- fur color isn't so much an issue, but if the quality or quantity of the fur changes, then a trip to the vet is warranted.
  • Rachie RayRachie Ray Member Posts: 3
    edited 21 June, 2007
    Hey..I changed colors too! You should check out the transformation on my page. Seriously...and I thought I was the only one! lol. how typical...
    edited 21 June, 2007
    dora, you did make a huge change! how neat! you're pretty in any color! today mom told me it was from sitting in the sun puddles in the window all day- getting bleached! mol! thanks guys for all your great responses. its neat to know that i might have had a tabby parent in there somewhere- or any other breed for that matter. all mom cares about is that i'm a happy health gal, even if i turned purple!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 June, 2007
    I've been turning brown, too! It started as a few lighter patches of fur, but I've been getting browner and browner as time goes on. My vet doesn't think it's anything to be worried about. Mom thinks (in my case, at least) it's like the black cat equivalent of a human's gray hair! :)) Wow, Dora! Your metamorphosis was amazing! Is your color still changing?
  • Julia MundyJulia Mundy NorfolkMember Posts: 218
    edited 21 June, 2007
    Well, whatever the reason is, we all have something else in common: We're all stunning!! :)) Dora Lee, what big (and beautiful) eyes you have!
  • Rachie RayRachie Ray Member Posts: 3
    edited 21 June, 2007
    Prrrrrr....Thanks for the compliments!! You cats are too sweet! I'm not changing colors anymore, however, I swear I'm getting more white spots! It's cool though, I read online they're called "angel kisses." Yea Me!
  • Carrie ComerCarrie Comer Page CountyMember Posts: 888
    edited 22 June, 2007
    Dora-yep, angel kisses or mom says angel thumb prints (cause they rubed our belly and chin a bit-but mom\'s son was born with a large angel kiss that is still there, she says it ties him to me and Riley forever). I am always brown in the summer-cuase I lay in the window all the time. One summer I laid on my right side all the time-my left side was brown! Riley doesn\'t tan as much so he holds the black color better. But by about November-jet black again. I\'ve lived with mom for about 13 years now and this has occured every year like clock work. Mom calls me chocolate tips till the fall:))
    edited 25 June, 2007
    oooh thomas, thanks! i was kind of kidding when i said i was getting sun-bleached, due to my sun-puddle baths, but maybe its true! i HAVE been sitting in one particular puddle all summer in our new apartment....
  • Nancy GraceNancy Grace near Ft. WorthMember Posts: 104
    edited 3 July, 2007
    Me too and I'm in my 20s. I have a rusty color under my shoulder blades. My undercoat has always been black, white, or light silver, but Mom is laughing because it looks like I'm not alone after all. She never was worried though. Buttons is getting white sprigs in his hair and he's in his teens.;c;