Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

ATTENTION OVERWEIGHT KITTIES!!

Ashley SkalaAshley Skala San FranciscoMember Posts: 92
edited 19 June, 2007 in Cat Health
My mum was never told by any vets how common Feline Hepatic Lipidosis is. (also known as Fatty Liver Disease) Every single vet I've seen told her that I was overweight and that she needed to cut back my food. But never did they say, "There is a common risk in overweight cats to develop FHL. You need to be sure that you keep an eye on his eating. If he stops eating, it may be because he's got fatty liver disease." My mom believes she would have been better prepared if someone had warned her. She already knew the risk of diabetes in bigger cats but not this. I was diagnosed about 3 and a half weeks ago. I am already starting to recover thank goodness! But the fact that this could have been headed off at the beginning when I started eating less and less is really unfortunate and very VERY expensive! I saw a vet when I was living in Missouri, that said I should loose weight, as well as a couple different vets in Ohio and now in San Francisco. So please, PLEASE warn your parents/caretakers that this can be a very scary process to go through even if your cat stops eatting for 3+ days! **Also posted in Health and Nutrition**

Comments

• Ashley SkalaAshley Skala San FranciscoMember Posts: 92
    edited 19 June, 2007
    Just to add, because someone else mentioned it in Health and Nutrition: I posted this response------>> I read about a cat that had an obstruction (hairball) stuck in their throat which caused them to stop eating. So it ISN'T ONLY overweight cats, but it is a common thread in bigger kitties and (obvious to vets) the first sign of disintrest in food and water can most likely lead to hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease). So please pay very close attention to feeding and food intake...it is KEY! It's easy for stress (even when you can't undertand what would cause your cat to be stressed out) to create this flare up. MuShu had to get a feeding tube because it was the only way to get enough food into him and less stressful to feed through the tube. But it was NOT cheap! He just started eating hard food on his own yesterday! So that's a huge step!