Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Acetaminophen Found In Unrecalled Pet Food

Don EarlDon Earl Port TownsendMember Posts: 2
edited 24 June, 2007 in Cat Health
On March 16th of this year I began what turned into 3 months of research on what we were not being told by the media or the FDA on the pet food recall. On May 30th I began uploading that research to http://www.petfoodrecallfacts.com If you followed the news, you know the poison was melamine, it killed 16 pets, and everything is fine now. Unfortunately, what was reported in the media is a bald faced lie! The truth is melamine is less toxic than common table salt, a conservative estimate is several hundred thousand pets were killed, and unrecalled pet food continues to kill as we speak. In the course of testing samples of pet food submitted to a private lab for analysis, out of 150 samples tested, 5 of those samples turned up positive for acetaminophen (Tylenol). Acetaminophen is dangerous to dogs and absolutely leathal to cats. The quantities of acetaminophen found in the food ranged from trace amounts to levels lethal to a cat in a single feeding. The samples testing positive contained no melamine and are not on any pet food company announced recall lists. The lab in question, ExperTox, is a fully accredited forensic analytical lab, yet the FDA has refused to investigate the findings, and the mainstream media is acting like the three little monkeys.

Comments

• Ashley SkalaAshley Skala San FranciscoMember Posts: 92
    edited 20 June, 2007
    So do you have any idea which foods were positive for Acetimetiphin? :-k I knew that things would turn up, where there is smoke there is fire. Thanks for the heads up and I think I'll be doing some researching of my own.
  • Susan WolfeSusan Wolfe Member Posts: 236
    edited 20 June, 2007
    I\'m not saying the reports about aceteminophen aren\'t true or that aceteminophen is not toxic to cats or at high doses to dogs. You need to know some info before you start jumping to conclusions and accusing people of \"bald face lies\" Acetominophen toxicity shows very different clinical and laboratory signs than the majority of cases during the recall tragedy showed. Veterinarians were just as puzzled about the melamine conclusion because they knew the low toxicity of melamine alone. It has since been hypothosized that it was the presence of melamine along with cyanuric acid. Cyanuric acid alone is also not very toxic but was also found in recalled food samples. Together, though, the two samples can form crystals which can be toxic. You\'ve got to be careful about what you read in the blogosphere. It can be very helpful in getting info out but you\'ve got to make sure that info is correct and not panic and jump to conclusions.
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 20 June, 2007
    Here's a link to the article about the acetominophen LINK
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 20 June, 2007
    The FDA has recently stood down on the idea that acetaminophen was in the pet food. Some people believe that this has to do with $ here is an article regarding that LINK
  • Don EarlDon Earl Port TownsendMember Posts: 2
    edited 23 June, 2007
    I just loved the comment about how important it is to check the facts before jumping to conclusions. 1. Acetaminophen is toxic to kidneys. 2. The only research in existance on the effects of acetaminophen on cats is on data related to a single massive overdose. There is no data whatsoever on the effect of continuous feeding of sub lethal doses. 3. The symptoms of liver failure and kidney failure are nearly identical. 4. There is no information in the public domain related to the actual symptoms experienced in pets due to lethal pet food that rises above the level of hearsay. 5. The theories proposed on a melamine / cyanuric acid combo are hopelessly flawed in six major respects. a) The studies are based on animals killed and provided by Menu Foods. b) Cyanuric acid reacts with melamine to form the crystals in question simply by coming into contact with each other in liquid. The resulting crystals are virtually insoluable and could not possibly enter the bloodstream to reach the kidneys as a result. c) The crystals in question are 70% cyanuric acid, yet cyanuric acid has not been found in gluten at levels above the trace amounts typically found as impurities in melamine. d) The University of Guelph theories have not been verified by anything even vaguely resembling scientific methods of proof. e) IR graphs of the U of G crystals do not match the crystals found in the animals Menu Foods killed. f) University vet programs are funded by pet food companies. I realize playing pet food company troll is probably a pretty good gig. The only problem is how bad you have to look when going up against any reasonably well informed person. Better luck next time.
  • P IngramP Ingram EaganMember Posts: 7,400
    edited 24 June, 2007
    Chester' and Winnie's mom here. As someone who spent 10 years doing clinical and lab research, I want to warn every cat reading this thread to not freak out based on what is being posted in this thread or the related website. I have just read through the website and the supposed "facts". I am sorry Monster you lost your pet but you are very emotional (understandable) and making a LOT of leaps and jumps. And posting them here as fact can have a lot of dangerous results I dont think you are even thinking about. You are basing your whole premise on testing done on food that hadnt even been controlled after opening, food was sent to be tested in ziploc bags not even original containers. Contamination could have happened at any stage along the line. As someone who studied sulfaconjugation deficit in humans (the same enzyme issue that cats have of why they cant metabolize acetaminophen) I would question your expression of the symptoms and also the biology behind that toxicity. Cats do not per se overdose on tylenol, their bodies are unable to break it down correctly and it turns into harmful components in their bodies. As you are not showing one bit of testing that found this reaction or its by products I have to say you are making a huge jump in 99% of what you are saying. I also found it rather humorous that on your website you are saying "Isn't the essence of scientific research to assume nothing, question everything, and base findings on an open minded examination of the evidence?". When your whole hypothesis is based on YOUR assumptions. Again I am sorry you lost your pet, I cant imagine your grief, but please think about the harm you could be doing to other cats on here with your postings. And NO I am not paid by the petfood industry, I am just someone with a lot of research knowledge who knows emotion doesnt make a basis for good research.
  • P IngramP Ingram EaganMember Posts: 7,400
    edited 24 June, 2007
    Also if anyone would like reliable information on how acetaminophen toxicity works in cats there is a wonderful paper available from the ASPCA at www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/vettech_0103.pdf?docID=642&AddInterest=1101