Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Not eating.

Edris TauberEdris Tauber SacramentoMember Posts: 1,154
edited 2 July, 2007 in Cat Health
My cat has been eating very little if at all. She has been getting skinnier and skinnier over a month. We have tried changing her food type a few times, but she will eat in for a day and then go back to the not eating pattern. We don't know what to do now. Any suggestions? -Patches's worried Owner

Comments

• Ashley SkalaAshley Skala San FranciscoMember Posts: 92
    edited 20 June, 2007
    Patches, Please let your parents/caretakers know that you may walk a fine line on developing Fatty Liver Disease. (Feline Hepatic Lipidosis) This can happen when cats stop eatting for ANY reason. I am fighting it right now! Please watch for very yellow urine, extremely bad breath, yellowing/jaundiced around the ear area on the skin that's exposed. The tips of my teeth even turned blackish! If you have any doubts you should see your vet immediately! Espeically if you aren't eating at all!
    edited 20 June, 2007
    You can read my diary to see what I've been going through recently too... Mee-yow MuShu
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 June, 2007
    Not eating is a definite sign that something is wrong. I wouldn't wait until symptoms of hepatic lipidosis start showing up--get to the vet ASAP. We'll be sending purrs your way! Please keep us posted on your condition.
    edited 21 June, 2007
    I agree Bert, I was suggesting the symtoms just in case. It's a scary thing and best if caught at it's earliest! I hope you get better soon Patches!
  • Gina CochraneGina Cochrane MorrisvilleMember Posts: 153
    edited 21 June, 2007
    I know it's no fun, but if you're losing weight without trying, you need to see the v-e-t. They will most likely do a blood test and make sure your kidney function, blood sugar, thyroid, etc. are all normal. Unfortunately, you can't just chalk it up to being finicky; it usually means something is going on that needs to be addressed. Best of luck, and please keep us posted!
  • Edris TauberEdris Tauber SacramentoMember Posts: 1,154
    edited 21 June, 2007
    thank you all. i really appriciate your help.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 21 June, 2007
    Please visit the vet ASAP. Not eating food is a serious concern and can indicate underlying health problems.
  • Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
    edited 22 June, 2007
    Hey there Cutie: From one Calico to another, tell your Humans it\'s time for a Vet trip, asap. Even if you were feeling top of the world, at 12 years old, you need to have a thorough Senior Check Up, including a blood panel, to see how things are looking. Since you\'re having appetite loss, that needs to be checked out. As we get older, just like with Humans, there are a number of things that can need to be addressed. It could be anything from bad teeth to kidney problems, diabetes, etc. While these are serious, they\'re treatable, but, the sooner any problems are spotted the better. We\'re sending Huggs and Prayers that you visit the Dr and nothing serious is going on. Let us know, please! Checkers and Family
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 23 June, 2007
    Your weight loss is most likely due to your anorexia, however there are metabolic issues that can also cause weight loss in cats (diabetes, hyperthyroidism, kidney disease). You need to go in and get some blood work done to determine if there is a medical issue to your weight loss. Also having the vet check your teeth is important. The reason you are not eating much is your teeth could be painful from infection. Time to schedule an appointment, preferably tomorrow. You do not want this to go on much longer, or as MuShu said, you could be headed down the road to liver problems. Purrs!
  • Michelle MelvilleMichelle Melville Member Posts: 96
    edited 24 June, 2007
    Patches, i hope by the time you read this that you\'ve been to the vet and are feeling a little bit better. i\'m another kitty who is fighting FHL. it\'s no fun. for me or meowmy. it\'s better to be over cautious than to leave it and not be ok.
  • Edris TauberEdris Tauber SacramentoMember Posts: 1,154
    edited 30 June, 2007
    Good news! We went to the vet and he told us I am getting old but my blood test was fine. I am also eating again- we found a seniors food that I like and am still eating!;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;
    edited 2 July, 2007
    I am sooooo happy to hear you are eating again and had a good blood panel!! Keep your pawz crossed I may have to get my blood taken again soon! Meow! MuShu