Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Why am I biting magazines?

Rachel HicksRachel Hicks Littleton/DenverMember Posts: 23,738
edited 23 June, 2007 in Cat Health
Hi my name is Zippie. I am 2 months old! I went to the vet yesterday for my 1st time. She gave me a thumbs up. They tested me for FELV & FIV & I'm negative on both. I've always been a bit of a handfull; that's why I'm named Zippie. Today I've decided to attack moms magazines. Mom would think I was cute except for I'm biting them; actually tearing the pages up with my teeth. Am I teething or something? Is this dangerous? Mom doesn't think I'm actually swallowing any of it but is concerned none the less. She has tried distracting me with other toys which works for a minute or 2 but then i go right back to the magazines. Mom would like some advice on this please!

Comments

• Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 21 June, 2007
    You're doing it because it is funny fun fun. I have loved paper ever since Mommy brought me home. I tear papers, make holes and teeth marks in things, and knock/pull/push them off of counters. I don't eat any...or if I do, it is only a little and the fiber is good! :)) You know what is REALLY fun? When your Mommy is reading the newspaper, see if you can pull the loose pages away from her. If you are REALLY lucky you might even get it to slip behind something...like a couch...and then it is funny fun fun to watch your Mommy try to move the furniture to get it out. Sometimes, I even take a ride on the back of the couch.
  • Lisa BLisa B Western WashingtonMember Posts: 129
    edited 21 June, 2007
    I LOVE paper too! Also cardboard boxes. I always try to see if I can bite all the way through the magazine. :)) Mommy doesn't really like it though cause I start to chew on the important pages that have articles mom wants to read...
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 21 June, 2007
    Yet another paper-shredder here! I love to shred Mom's papers, especially if they're important looking documents. She has to hide all her bills and schoolwork from me because I will tear them all apart! I actually did shred some of her homework once before. :))
  • FelixFelix Member Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 June, 2007
    Phoebe is right - it's fun and, as a bonus, it gets the humans' attention! I love to play with paper items - newspapers, magazines, catalogs, maps, you name it. I get on top of them when Mom's reading, and I attack them and bite them, especially the newspapers and magazines. Mom gives me the ad sections of the paper to play with and tries to keep her good magazines and papers out of my reach. That's about the best she can do!
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 21 June, 2007
    Phoebe's Mommy here: Felix's Mom, that is exactly what I do. It is especially funny on Sunday mornings. Phoebe perches on the back of the couch watching the counter while I go through the Sunday paper. I pick out the ads that I don't care about and then spread them around so she can 'knock herself out.' Then she goes to work, 'sneaking' up on the papers and working in a variety of ways to get them off the counter and either onto or--preferably--behind the couch. It still seems to make her as happy--and keep her as entertained and fascinated-- as when she was a kitten. It is hard to believe that, after over two years, this whole paper fixation is still as strong as ever.
  • Ann HallettAnn Hallett Costa MesaMember Posts: 144
    edited 21 June, 2007
    My mom stopped taking the paper because it was too much of a fight to try and read it. She had to read it standing up in the kitchen to avoid my pounces...we fought! HA!!! Now I resort to shredding catalogs and the bills if I can find them on mom's desk.
  • Ellie(Elinore) ClarkEllie(Elinore) Clark Member Posts: 9,364
    edited 22 June, 2007
    :)):)):)) Mommies glad to hear there are other paper terrorist! I am 2 and never have stopped my love of chewing cardboard,newspaper,bills, magazines,ect.:)):))
  • Kristin HoltKristin Holt ArlingtonMember Posts: 98
    edited 23 June, 2007
    I used to chew apart papers but cardboard boxes were my favorite! Some cats just like to chew. Once I took a big bite out of mum's Arabic dictionary and she had to tape it back together. One time my brother completely tore apart a laminated map that mums had laid out on a table in order to flatten it. We are naughty sometimes!:-O