Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

I\'m sick and don\'t know what it is!

Lisa PetersonLisa Peterson Member Posts: 3
edited 27 June, 2007 in Cat Health
I am looking for help. I am sick and no one knows what it is. I have lost a lot of weight over the past month. I don't really eat well. My fur is falling out. And I scab all over my body. I have a wound on my leg that pusses all the time. I am an indoor cat so the only bit I could have got and do get are from my adopted sister. she is five months old and very frisky. I wonder if something is stopping me from healing corectly. I have pictures of my leg and what I look like now. PLEASE HELP :((

Comments

• Melissa RyanMelissa Ryan Fall RiverMember Posts: 401
    edited 21 June, 2007
    has either kitty been tested for feline diseases like feline leukemia or feline immunodificiency (aka feline HIV). This almost sounds like feline HIV. It can be passed on between cats and can make them very sick. If you haven't tested them, you should consider it before bringing another kitty into the house! :-k
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 21 June, 2007
    Have you been back to the vets since you had the leg wound? You need antibiotics as that wound is infected and the infection could spread throughout your system i.e septicemia. This could be what's making you feel so ill. If you haven't seen the vet about the wound, then you really need to as soon as possible. I hope you are feeling better soon.
  • edited 23 June, 2007
    OMC. You poor baby. Get to the vet right away. Make sure you get good nutrition, plenty of rest and love, purified water, and vet treatment. Have you found the culprit yet? You poor baby. We're praying for you.|:||:||:|:^:|^|
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 23 June, 2007
    You need to go back into the vet and have the leg wound examined. Since there is pus, an infection has started which needs to be treated. This may be the reason you are not wanting to eat. However, there could be other reasons for your anorexia and bloodwork is a good first step to determine any metabolic issues. The scabbing could be from flea allergies and if you don't stay current on your flea control (Advantage or Frontline) then you could continue to see problems. Cats with flea allergies are very sensitive and ONE flea bite can set them off. Please go see your vet...TOMORROW... if you can't get in on emergency today (which is what I recommend). Keep us updated on your condition. I'll be purring for you!
  • Lisa PetersonLisa Peterson Member Posts: 3
    edited 27 June, 2007
    thank you all for your help. I have to tell you all now.... I am up in kitty heaven.
  • edited 27 June, 2007
    Oh Midnight...:(( May you rest in the deepest of peace sweetie. I'm so sorry.|:||:|
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 27 June, 2007
    For anyone else reading this thread who has a cat that has an infected wound and is looking for advice - DON'T HESITATE, SEEK VETERINARY ATTENTION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. An infected wound can be easily treated but if ignored, the infection can spread throughout the cat's system causing illness and even death. Rest in Peace, Midnight. I'm so sorry you didn't make it.
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 27 June, 2007
    To any future Catster that may read this posting, when a cat has puss coming out of it, it has an infection, as Hunter said an infection means it needs to go to the vet immediately. You cannot wait a cat will act like it is doing just fine until it is nearly too late, so when a cat has lack of energy and isn't acting like itself it is crisis time, it likely won't snap out of it. Poor Midnight, I am sorry you had to travel to the Bridge so young.
  • Nancy GraceNancy Grace near Ft. WorthMember Posts: 104
    edited 27 June, 2007
    Oh Midnight, we are so sorry for you. Please know we are thinking of you and please tell all the kitties in Heaven we love and think of them too. All of us here at Catster send out our purrs to your human family. Slick, Buttons, and Gator :((
  • Nancy GraceNancy Grace near Ft. WorthMember Posts: 104
    edited 27 June, 2007
    Oh Midnight, we are so sorry for you. Please know we are thinking of you and please tell all the kitties in Heaven we love and think of them too. All of us here at Catster send out our purrs to your human family. Slick, Buttons, and Gator :((
  • Ellie(Elinore) ClarkEllie(Elinore) Clark Member Posts: 9,364
    edited 27 June, 2007
    :-O:-O:(:(:(