Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Sir Sneeze A Lot

Nancy GraceNancy Grace near Ft. WorthMember Posts: 104
edited 24 June, 2007 in Cat Health
I am only two months old and I have been sneezing a lot since last night. Any suggestions?:? Gator

Comments

• Ashley SkalaAshley Skala San FranciscoMember Posts: 92
    edited 21 June, 2007
    Gator, Have you been around any other kitties? When I was a kitten, and my mom first adopted me, I was a foster kitten because I'd been exposed to and Upper respiratory infection which made me have sneezing fits. It's contagious which is why my litter brother and I were in foster care instead of being with all the other kitties at the shelter. So you may need antibiotics...but of course I'm no doctor- you'd have to see a vet to know for sure. Hope you get over your sneezes soon! Puuurrrrr, MuShu
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 21 June, 2007
    I agree with MuShu, it sounds like you might have a URI. I would recommend a trip to the vet. I had a severe URI as a very young kitten, they can be serious.
  • Nancy GraceNancy Grace near Ft. WorthMember Posts: 104
    edited 22 June, 2007
    The little girl mommy wanted to adopt had a boo boo on her eye and the shelter workers said she might have uri. When my family went to pick me up, they checked on her and she was gone. She had been in the cage above me. If I have it, I hope I didn't pass it on to Buttons because we sniffed each other and Buttons and Slick are old cats. Thank you for your advice. Mommy will call the vet. I hope we are all okay.
    edited 22 June, 2007
    Well please let us know what happens at the vet! I'll be purring for all of you!! MuShu
    edited 22 June, 2007
    Yes, please keep us in your purrers. My appointment is Tuesday at 2 p.m. Meowmy bought me some kitten formula and I drank a lot. Now when I sleep they say I smile. I have only eaten dry food once, but I love ice water. I won't drink water now without an ice cube. I'll let you know how it goes. Gator
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 23 June, 2007
    There is a chance that you passed it on to the other kitties in your house as URI's are extremely contagious. If the other kitties are current on their exams (within the last year) many vets will RX necessary medications if they know there is a URI in the household. Just watch the other kitties for signs (sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes) and let your vet know immediately. they will tell you whether or not they also need to come in for an exam. watch for congestion, if this happens kitties will often stop eating because they can't smell their food. You can put them in a steamy bathroom for 5-10 minutes twice a day tpo help ease the congestion. Many purrs that you caught this early and didn't pass it on to your housemates!
    edited 23 June, 2007
    My horse brother also sniffed me and he's really old too. Thanks for the steam bath idea. I haven't eaten much, if at all, today. Except for the hermit crabs and fish, I am the only indoor baby. I met Buttons and Sonny only once. Meowmy is on pins-n-needles until Tuesday. She will ask the doctor about my brothers and sisters when we go in. Can it be passed to my humans?
    edited 23 June, 2007
    No, as far as I know, feline URI's are passed on to other kitties. When I had the URI as a kitten, my mom and her roommate were fine. In fact...mom's roommate's kitty was fine too. So you never know. The steamy shower idea seems like a good one! Hope you get your meds soon and get to feeling better and eating more very soon! Mewrroww, MuShu
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 23 June, 2007
    You came from a shelter and it is more common than not to have a URI after being in a shelter for any amount of time. The good news is that it is VERY treatable! In fact, I would suggest you go in for your initial vet check with the one you will be using (he needs another rond of shots, anyway) and they may or may not choose to put him on antibiotics. My first cat, Spice, had a terrible URI by the time I got her home from the shelter (she even had snots on her tail!) but it cleared up without meds once she was in a nice clean environment.
  • Roselyn WolfRoselyn Wolf KentuckyMember Posts: 28
    edited 23 June, 2007
    I had the same thing. Mommy picked me up from a shelter and me and my brothers in the same cage were sneezing. I was sneezing alot and was on an antibiotic for 10 days. I was still sneezing occasionaly but not near as much as I was. I had to be locked in the bedroom and not be around Zoe~. Well then I got fixed and laser front declawed and had to stay away again for 2 weeks and wear some cone collar thing so I couldn\'t bite my sutures. Once again I was on antiobiotic and a pain pill and was locked up in that bedroom again for 2 weeks. Got my sutures out on Wednesday and I am all better now. I am back to my normal self running around and playing. Zoe~ hisses at me and we fight still but were used to each other mommy thinks. I sneezed once in the past few days and that was it. Zoe~ occasionaly will sneeze to so maybe it\' s something in my new home. But I hope you get better soon. Let us know how it turns out. Meow
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 23 June, 2007
    It's not contagious to humans, so don't let your mom/dad worry about getting sick themselves. Try to get in tomorrow if you continue to have a decrease in appetite or anorexia. If you absolutely can not get in until Tues. and the appetite continues to be an issue, try tuna fish (packed in water, not oil), baby food (Gerber makes their meat ones without garlic or onion...chicken seems to be the favorite among kitties) or warm up some canned food (3-5 seconds in the microwave is usually plenty).
    edited 23 June, 2007
    Thanks for the stories, they make us feel better. Meowmy used Michaela's eyedropper (2 tsp) and fed me formula. I liked drinking from it and ate about 5 tsp. before Meomy stopped. She will give me more after my girls go to bed. Maybe tomorrow night I can sleep with Michaela instead of in the crate. Meowmy and Daddy are wondering if I was completely weened before I came home. I only like ice water in my bowl and won't drink without an ice cube in it. Right now I'm curled up on the couch enjoying my full tummy. My nose has been a little runny on the left side, but nothing too constant.
    edited 24 June, 2007
    Meowmy may have fed me too much and too often last night because my tummy turned into a volcano. She had to give me shower instead of a bath. Daddy doesn't know about the vet visit, because he doesn't think we can afford it, so Mommy will tell him after he comes home from work. They had just got back from vacation when they found out it was adopt-a-shelter-cat month. Nearly everyone Mommy has talked to in the family is negative about me getting better, but she and the girls are not giving up on me. I love them very much. My left eye and left nostril run just a little too. Mommy and Katy clean them for me. ;c;
  • edited 24 June, 2007
    Hi Gator! You're too cute. One of my previous kittens, Teigen, had an upper resp. infection which sounds alot like what you have. It IS contagious to other felines. But the vet treated her with antibiotics and she got vaccinated against it (she was only 5 weeks old when she got the infection) and then it all cleared up! A vet visit is worth the money, and the price I paid was not astronomical. Just be sure you're getting good nutrition, clean, fresh, cool water, a very tidy litter box (scoop every day, change the litter completely between every 1-4 weeks) and lots of kitten rest and play!;c;
    edited 24 June, 2007
    Thank you Natasha! I definitely get lots of sleep, clean box (because I'm messy), and ice water (I won't drink without ice). Mommy even wipes my feet, tail, and backside when I'm done. :^: Mommy said she noticed my first baby tooth next to my upper left k9. She thinks I'm looking better because I've shown a little bitty bit of interest in a fly and rat. I hope to be off workcats' comp soon.:))!