Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Question, spaying.

Cristina ReggieCristina Reggie New Jersey / New York CityMember Posts: 67 ✭✭
edited 5 July, 2007 in Cat Health
Boris' mom suggested that I post here. I adopted a female cat, Hildee last Monday. It has been a real roller-coaster ride thusfar, but it seems to be calming down a bit. I have my story in the Expert & Help and Behavior & Training forums. Hildee was absolutely terrified for the first week at our home, all she did was hide and do her business outside of the litterbox on the floor. Finally, yesterday she started coming around and she stayed in the dining room under the table all day yesterday and even this morning. She prefers my husband's company and purrs and licks his hand and talks to him. Most times she was shying away from me, but she let me pet her this morning. But she's definitely daddy's girl. Hildee has been under an enormous amount of stress since her move to our home. I put off getting her spayed last week because I didn't want to traumatize her more than she already has been. I think that Hildee's in heat since last night. She was rubbing her butt into everything and meowing really loud. Her heat cycle lasted an entire week last time and it only ended about 10 days ago. It was the first heat cycle since after she gave birth 2 months ago. Her howling woke me up this morning. I was two rooms away with the air conditioner on and ear plugs in my ears! I am not sure if it's a good idea to spay her when she's in heat. 13 years ago we had Fuzz spayed and unbeknownst to us, she was in heat at the time. The doctor didn't know it until he saw the swelling of her uterus during the operation. I mean, she was fine, she recovered quickly, but obviously I can't guarantee that Hildee would react the same way. So far Boris' mom has given me excellent advice, she suggested I get Hildee spayed right away, but that I should ask you guys here first. So any words from the wise? Thanks! -Hildee's mommy

Comments

• Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 26 June, 2007
    I'm not sure how wise I am, but I think I know enough about this topic (thanks to the good people here and my fostering experience) to say it should be no problem having her spayed while she is in heat. I seem to remember seeing that some vets might charge a little more, but, even if that is true, it is probably worth it! I am watching out for Bailey (my current foster Mom) right now, because if she starts to show ANY signs of going into heat, she is going right back in for her surgery at the humane society. Call your vet today! Good luck and keep us posted!
    edited 26 June, 2007
    The Bailey's foster Mom here again: I just saw your other posting and am surprised that a clinic told you to wait. Call another clinic! They spayed my last foster, Miss Kitty while she was showing early signs of heat...and if Bailey goes into heat she will go back for spaying, too.
    edited 26 June, 2007
    I just saw your other post. I'm so glad you got Hildee her appointment so quickly. She will do great! Horray for Hildee and her Mommy and Daddy! |bb|
  • Cristina ReggieCristina Reggie New Jersey / New York CityMember Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited 26 June, 2007
    Thanks Phoebe! %:D%
  • Nancy GraceNancy Grace near Ft. WorthMember Posts: 104
    edited 26 June, 2007
    One of my cats when I was young was 'fixed' during a cycle and it was really hard on her...even the vet apologized. The problem though was that her cycles were so close together that the vet had a hard time finding the right time to do surgery. She made it and we were all happier for a quiet home. Gator, Slick, and Buttons mom
    edited 26 June, 2007
    From what I have learned since fostering training is that once a cat begins heat cycles they come closer and closer together (provided the cat does not get pregnant) until it is almost a continuous cycle. Then, as Persephone's Mom can tell you, they can go back into heat almost immediately after giving birth. Not a fun way to live. Bob Barker is sure right!
    edited 27 June, 2007
    Wow! Poor little girls, having to go through that. Can't wait til tomorrow night when this trauma is all over for Hildee. =D>
    edited 28 June, 2007
    OMG I\'m at the vet right now! OMG!!!! ::o
  • Marta GasperMarta Gasper FairburyMember Posts: 636
    edited 28 June, 2007
    yess? yess? Good for your meowmy and you! you'll be ok and no more have to endure heat cycles nor pregnancies..here's avery loud purr for you!!
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 28 June, 2007
    I was already about a year when I adopted mom and dad. Then I went into heat shortly after. The vet didn\'t want to spay me until my heat was over. But ... it was never over. I was in and out inconsistency for 6 months, so the vet said to make an appointment and bring me on in. I didn\'t have any problems at all. :-#
    edited 28 June, 2007
    The vet called Mommy an hour ago and told her that I am the recovery room resting and that everything went well. The doctor told me that I had fleas when I went in there! She was shocked, but the doctor gave me a bath and told Mommy not to worry. I'll be going home with 2 more treatments for Mommy & Daddy to administer. Daddy said he'll pick me up this evening. Boy am I TIRED! Thanks for your well wishes! -Hildee
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 28 June, 2007
    Dear Hildee: We have all been following your story and are SO VERY HAPPY you have had your surgery and doing well. I am spayed, and my brother Louis and adopted brother Benny Grunch have been neutered. In no time you will be better, and you and your humans will be much more comfortable. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Purrs, Emma, Louis and Benny Grunch
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 28 June, 2007
    Hildee, you might have picked up fleas just about anywhere. Even a well meaning human might have brought one home to you, they like to stick to shoes and travel with humans to find new targets. That's what my vet told mom. I was brought home to mom with nary a flea on me, and have never in my life been outdoors, but I developed fleas about a month into my stay. Mommy suspects that the maintenance man in our old building carried a female flea with him from another apartment, and all it takes is one female flea to enter your home to create a whole entire colony, as I discovered in May, when even after being on Revolution, I kept getting flea infestations on me. The fleas only need Hildee's blood for nourishment, but can lay eggs on the carpets instead of her which means a never ending cycle of fleas that use Hildee for nourishment. That's how they kept attacking me, long after I had been treated to make the fleas on me unable to reproduce. It got so itchy that I would get pissed off at mom when she'd pet me, because I thought she was making me itch. Even if Hildee is being treated with Frontline or the like, the fleas might have gotten in your carpet, and will live there for a while (up to a year!). If you have time today, I suggest treating your carpets just to be on the safe side. Petco/Petsmart sell flea treatment sprays that contain PreCor, something that prevents flea eggs from hatching for six months or more, as well as other ingredients that kill adult fleas. You can just vacuum up before you spray, spray it on your carpet and leave the house (humans and animals) for 2-3 hours, and then come home, air the place out, and return a treated Hildee to a flea-free home. I haven't had any flea infestations since mommy did that for me, and as a precaution, she's had our new place flea bombed in advance, so she doesn't have to deal with that again (but she says she'll keep her fingers crossed that this does not happen next year in the new place). Also, watch out for signs of tapeworms during her convalescence: fleas are carriers for feline tapeworms, and transmit them to your cat if your cat is the biter type (I like to bite at bugs, I'm always on the lookout for them). Your vet will probably tell you as much when you go pick her up. Lastly, I would have Hildee's sister and kittens checked for fleas too. Fleas are doubly bad on kittens because they are smaller, and therefore being attacked a lot by fleas runs them a risk of developing anemia.
    edited 28 June, 2007
    It sounds like your Mommy and Daddy found you a good doctor. I am glad you get to come home tonight. I had to stay overnight when I got spayed. You're going to feel so much better without those fleas and without being in heat!
    edited 28 June, 2007
    Emma & Family, Boris and Phoebe: Thanks for your well wishes! - Hildee's Mommy & Daddy
    edited 28 June, 2007
    Hi all my friends, The doctors and nurses were really nice to me. I was so happy to see Mommy & Daddy come to pick me up. I\'m home now, under the bed resting. I\'m so tired and worn out. I got all my shots, FIV, FL, Rabies, Distemper, etc. I was sent home with some painkiller that Mommy & Daddy are going to administer with a syringe in my mouth. And I also have 2 flea treatments to take in the next 2 months. (Boris, thanks for the tip on the flea stuff.) I may come out from under the bed later but only if I\'m not too tired and I\'m not all that hungry right now, anyway. Good night all my nice, caring kitty friends! |:||:| Love, Hildee
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 28 June, 2007
    Glad to hear you are home and did well with your spay surgery! Sorry to hear about the fleas, but it sounds like you've been given some good advice. Take care!
    edited 29 June, 2007
    OMG Phoebe! Mommy told me that when her and Daddy took Fuzz to be spayed, Fuzz had to stay overnight in the Hospital! I wouldn\'t like that. It sounds really scary! Anyway, Mommy slept in her car in the Hospital parking lot that night because she wanted to be close to Fuzz. Daddy told her she was a little obsessive for doing that but I know how much Mommy loved Fuzz (and even if he won\'t admit it, if Mommy wouldve asked him to sleep in the car with her, he would have because he loved Fuzz just as much!) Hee Hee. :D I am so lucky I have parents that love me so much! |$| -Hildee
    edited 29 June, 2007
    I am glad you're home again. I know how sore you must be...I couldn't sit all the way down for days. Don't worry though, the pain will disappear quickly and so will the stitches.
    edited 29 June, 2007
    Mickey & Gator. Yea I'm sore and moving around really slowly. I'm sitting under the dining room table now. I'm so tired but I do feel better! Who needs Boy cats now???? ::o:))! - Hildee
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 2 July, 2007
    Hi Hildee, how are you getting along??
    edited 3 July, 2007
    Hi Diego, I feel much better. I love my new home and my toys. I love my Daddy. I love to sit with him on the couch and snuggle. He is so warm and fun. I don't know about Mommy, though. When I see her I run under the table and when she tries to pet me, I cringe. She scares me!!! Thanks for asking! -Hildee
    edited 3 July, 2007
    Don't worry, you're just afraid that mommy will let you get hurt again. Think of how nice it is not to go in heat anymore. Getting the stitches out may hurt a little too, but don't blame mommy - she's showing her love by taking care of you. Get Well Soon, Gator, Slick, and Buttons
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 3 July, 2007
    Morning Hildee: We are all so glad to hear you are feeling better. Your meowmy did the best thing for you, try not to be scared of her. Having that surgery will keep you healthy and happy, so you can own your meowmy and daddy for a long, long time. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Your furriends, Emma, Louis and Benny Grunch
    edited 3 July, 2007
    Emma, Louis and Benny Grunch & Gator, Slick, and Buttons, My husband is the one that took Hildee to the vet to get spayed, and we both picked her up to take her home. I feed her, I change her litter, and I go under the kitchen table to pet her and talk sweetly to her. She is just so scared of me! ::sniff, sniff:: :(( I am at a loss! Do you guys think she\'ll eventually warm up to me? -Hildee\'s Mommy
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 3 July, 2007
    Hi Hildee Glad you are doing well after your spay surgery. Yes, I think in time you will warm up to your new Mom too. Perhaps she reminds you of someone that possibly hurt/abused you in the past? Once you are comfortable in your new home and realize that you are safe and she will not hurt you, I think you will really warm up. It will take some time. I was thrown from a car at 3 months old. I also lost part of my tail in an unknown incident (abuse?) before Mom adopted me. For quite a while I was leery of men and guests/people I don\'t know. I finally figured out I\'m safe and don\'t hide anymore or mind being petted by other people. Keep doing what you are doing: feeding, litterbox duty, talking to her. You can give her some treats too. My brother Mr. Fez LOVES ham and Arby\'s roast beef. Let her come to you, I wouldn\'t try to catch her or pick her up if she\'s not ready for that. Perhaps your husband could pick her up (if she\'ll allow it) and you could pet her and talk to her while he holds her (if she seems okay with that)? Good luck and Best Wishes! |bb| Mickey
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 3 July, 2007
    Hi Hildee, I am so glad that you are feeling better and the spay was easy for you. Sounds like you are settling in a bit more everyday. Like everyone else said, you will eventually warm up to your mom. Tell her not to worry. I did have another thought. Didn't you come from your daddy's work? This is probably why you warmed up more to him. You are used to him and he probably smells really familiar to you. He smells like where you used to live and that is probably still something you remember and are confortable with. With time I am sure you will be a momma's girl. I like Mickey's idea of meat treats. I better go give the cold shoulder to mom so she give me some. MOL Have a safe 4th!
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 3 July, 2007
    Hildee, I think with a little time and patience, you will warm up to your mommie. I ran away from mommy at first too. I was in a new place and wasn't sure about her. She would sit quietly and wait for me to come out and look at her. After a while, I would not run and hide when she came home, but I still didn't come up by her on the couch or the bed. The first time I jumped up on the couch and sat near her, she almost cried from happiness. Now I am still not cuddling all the time like Bella does, but I always greet her when she comes home and I sleep a little while with her at night and am no longer afraid. It has been over a month and we are still adjusting, but I like it here.
    edited 3 July, 2007
    Diego, You're probably right about Daddy. I know him a lot longer than Mommy. Mommy's still really scary, though. -Hildee Mufasa, I am so happy you are warming up to Mommy so much! I bet it's nice when you do hang out on the couch or nap with her!! I am hoping Hildee soon realizes that I am certainly not a threat and all I want to do is be her pal and spoil her with affection, treats and lots of love! -Hildee's Mommy Happy 4th!!! ;P
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 4 July, 2007
    Hildee's mom, Don't worry. She'll warm up to you, and even if she's never very affectionate towards you, know that she might love you more that she's letting on. Do you want to know how mommy knows I love daddy, even though sometimes I still run away from him if he gets too close (I can't help it: I'm a little cat, and he's this really tall and big guy, so I worry he'll step on me on accident)? A couple of months ago daddy went to a conference. Mommy stayed alone with me for a few days. I was sort of irritable, and mommy thought that maybe I just knew that she was gonna leave too. She did, she went to meet dad and they stayed away a few days. I got really sad about it, and stopped eating right before my parents came home. When they did come back, I'd just keep looking at my dad all the time. It was almost as if mommy wasn't even there. Eventually mommy coaxed me to start eating again the next day, but then I started doing something new: instead of sleeping on the bed at mommy's feet, I would sleep on the chair nearby their bed that faced daddy, so I could keep an eye on him. Mommy was a little perplexed, because I hadn't acted like I missed dad before she left. Then a few mornings after they had been back, dad left his spot on the bed while I was sleeping soundly. Not two minutes later, I did wake up and realized he was gone. I had no idea where he was, and that scared me lots. So I started screaming for him, and wandering around our apartment like a crazy cat. Mom woke up and was a bit put off, and said to me "you silly kitten, he just went to the bathroom!". Then she got up and yelled at daddy to call to me through the bathroom door. Eventually I followed his voice, and then calmed down and waited by the foot of the door. When he was done and he got out, I followed him back to bed. I jumped on the bed as soon as he laid down, curled up right by his torso, and fell asleep right next to him, at least until dad moved in his sleep an hour later and startled me (mom heard me yelp softly and jump off the bed in a hurry). The next day I started acting around dad the way I normally do (see above). Mommy says just don't stress about Hildee. She'll come around. One thing that might hasten the process a bit is using something that lets you play with her without getting too close. That way she gets to keep her space but still make friends with you. If you don't own a cat dancer, or a feather wand, she says you should invest in one. Those things are irresistible for most of us cats, and eventually she'll figure out that she needs you to be there to help her play with it, and boom! She'll seek you out a lot more (nowadays, I sit in front of either of my parents and meow at them to remind them when it's time to play with my feather wand, MOL).