tooth extractions help!

River WolfeRiver Wolfe ColumbusMember Posts: 19
edited 27 June, 2007 in Cat Health
My little Mia had to have 5 extractions yesterday. The vet told us not to feed canned food because it could get into the holes and cause infection. She said it contains bacteria, Mia won't and I don't think she can eat dry food. I'm afraid to make it too soft because I don't want it to get into the holes. What do I feed her? Thanks, Mia

Comments

• Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 27 June, 2007
    That's very unusual. Most vets actually recommend soft food after extracting teeth. The dry food can get into the holes too!. Hopefully your vet Rx'sd some pain meds. If not, call tehm and demand them. Extractions are painful and you should not have to suffer. You should also have gone home on antibiotics. Also, if they are that worried about the food getting stuck in the holes, ask them about using a "wash" on the mouth. There are specifically designed kitty mouth washes. Your vet should be able to show you how to use them. Hope you start to feel better soon.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 June, 2007
    When I had teeth extracted, the vet didn't have any problem with me eating wet food. Seems to me that it wouldn't contain any significant bacteria as long as it is freshly opened and not left sitting out. :-k Your vet didn't pack the holes or give you antibiotics?