Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Bladder Stones

Amanda BeebeAmanda Beebe Member Posts: 12
edited 15 July, 2007 in Cat Health
Well, I finally figured out what is wrong with Anna...she has bladder stones. Quite a few of them, and they are large. The vet said the only option is surgery. I've called a few local vets to price this out, as I feel my vet is high priced, and am getting fairly the same quote from all the vets I've called. I've checked out the sites that offer help, but due to my income, I do not qualify. I am a single person on my own who loves my cats, and cannot figure out what to do for her...I fear my only option is to wait til she gets worse and say goodbye, and I don't want it to come to that. Aren't there vets who offer services for people who just want to help their pets? None of the vets in my area will do payment plans, or work with you on payment. All they say is to apply for the care credit card. I'm at a loss, and fear losing my cat. Are there any other solutions I should be looking into? Any other avenues and roads I can head down? Please help...I don't want to lose my little girl. ~Amanda

Comments

• Adrienne HynekAdrienne Hynek Burlington, MAMember Posts: 10
    edited 27 June, 2007
    Hi Anna - I'm sorry you aren't feeling well! Look at the topic "help"...there are some suggestions listed there. I wish I knew more ideas, but will be thinking of you!!!
  • Amanda BeebeAmanda Beebe Member Posts: 12
    edited 27 June, 2007
    Reesie, thanks for the info...not very many options...and I'm actually doing worse by the day...got everyone around me all sorts of concerned. Thanks again!
  • Kim WashburnKim Washburn LouisvilleMember Posts: 1,057
    edited 28 June, 2007
    Oh that's so bad to be in a position where you feel trapped, and no decision feels like the best one. Is there any way your friends could help out with bills? Or how about family members lending you a little for a short time? Fundraisers are good too. Gararge sales, bake offs, etc. I know you won't make the full amount, but maybe you could make some. We recently had a bunch of folks have a yard sale and give all the money to a friend in need of cash. I also know it sounds odd to some, but what about taking a loan? If the vet won't do payment plans, could you borrow it from a bank and make payments with them? I'm just tossing out anything and everything I can think of right now. My mommy keeps a really pretty ring that she says is her back up plan these days. It's worth some money, and if any of us need surgery and she can't come up with the money any other way, she's going to sell it. She spent a LOT of money when Chloe got sick and hasn't been able to replace her savings yet, so this diamond is her plan. Do you have anything you could sell for some quick cash? Please check out all alternatives. I know you love your kitty and there has to be a way to raise money. We are all purring for you. Stones hurt and I know you don't want to lose your kitty. Please keep in touch, Jack
    edited 2 July, 2007
    I wanted to reply to your post...my mommy was able to get Anna the care she needed. She dropped my sister off at the vet this morning, so we'll have to see how it goes!! Thanks for all the helpful hints, cos this is the last chance my mom has to splurge like this. Thank God that I'm a healthy kitty!!! Mommy appreciates all the advice and support. I miss my sister, but mommy told me she'll be home tomorrow, I think.
  • Sandy BonvouloirSandy Bonvouloir MonktonMember Posts: 129
    edited 2 July, 2007
    Would your vet take a payment plan?? If you have been going there regularly... they might do more for you than for someone they don't know.... good luck! Let us know how you do! purrs!
    edited 4 July, 2007
    Anna still isn't home...mommy went to see her today. Mommy talked to her own vet regarding a payment plan...her family has gone to that vet for 20 years, if not longer. They would not work with her in a manner that was reasonable for her and Anna's needs. Anna is doing okay, according to mommy...but they still won't let her come home...they said maybe tomorrow....
  • Kim WashburnKim Washburn LouisvilleMember Posts: 1,057
    edited 4 July, 2007
    I can't believe a vet you have used for so long won't help. I've never understood that. I realize they need to earn a living, but they are also in a helping profession and it's not like you don't want to pay. We are so happy Anna got help. I've had stones and they hurt a lot. We are purring Anna comes home all healed up soon.
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 4 July, 2007
    Glad you were able to get your cat the help you needed. A lot of people do qualify for Care Credit and it is worth looking into when faced with large vet bills. When I took BeeJay to the emergency clinic (six months before he went to the bridge), the clinic helped me apply for it right there, as they knew the bill would be high. I'm still paying on in, but luckily it is interest free for 18 months!! It's really hard to face the idea of not being able to afford the care you know your pet needs, and some programs are not easy to get into to help with payments, so looking into Care Credit may help some people out there. Purrrrs for recovery for your kittie, BeeJay and family
    edited 15 July, 2007
    Thanks for all your well wishes. I'm home, and all healed up...mommy took me the other day to get my stitches out. The vet said I need to be on some wet food for a bit, but he thinks I'll be okay. Mommy is grumbling that i'm on special food for the rest of my life...maybe she can find it online cheaper, but I'm doing well. I'm really happy to be home. I'm wrestling with Spencer again, and eating just fine. Thanks for all the well wishes!!!