Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Vision Problems???

Crystal FoggCrystal Fogg Member Posts: 370
edited 28 June, 2007 in Cat Health
Hi Everyone, Recently I've noticed something curious about Bandit. It started when I was playing with his sister. We have a toy I bought which is basically a long piece of cloth attached to a stick. Smokey loves playing with the cloth/string when you dangle it in front of her, Bandit on the other hand seems quite afraid. He flences if the cloth gets never his face and then runs away. Its almost as if he has limited eye sight, like he can't see things far away, until they get really close. I've noticed this same vision pattern in how he approaches day to day activites. He seems to have trouble juding height distances. For example, he will try to jump up into the tub and ends up hanging off the edge and pulling himself the rest of the way up. The distance isn't to high for him to easily make the jump, his sister, Smokey, easily clears it everytime and she is much smaller than him. He also will only jump short distances to get to higher places, for example, he will jump up on the toilet seat then over to the counter sink, instead of just jumping up on the counter sink, or he will jump up on a chair then try to jump up onto the table, which he usually struggles with and ends up climbing up the table cloth to actually reach the table itself. Again his sister has no problem jumping these kinds of distances. Just wondering if anyone has had a kitten with vision problems and what I should look for. He's been to the vet and got a clean bill of health. (I didn't notice the vision issue until after the visit.) Other than what appears to be a vision problem, he seems healthly. He eats fine and is very active. Any advice on this behavior would be appericated. I've owned cats for many years and have never seem one behave in such a manner so I'm at a lost...thanks again!

Comments

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 28 June, 2007
    It sounds like you may have some vision issues. I would recommend a trip to the vet, or even a referral to a Veterinary Ophthalmologist. If you do have a problem with your eyes/vision, they may be able to prevent it from getting worse. I have bilateral juvenile cataracts and don\'t see too well. My cataracts developed at slightly differant times. For a while I had obvious depth perception problems - like trying to bat at something across the room. As my eyes got worse, Mom noticed I can still see the laser pointer, but lose it right away when it\'s moved. Otherwise my vision problems are not too obvious (other than the clouding in my eyes). Mom and Dad had another cat (at the Rainbow Bridge now) who was totally blind. He also got around pretty well, but if something changed (like moved furniture or a box on the floor) he would bump into it.
  • Crystal FoggCrystal Fogg Member Posts: 370
    edited 28 June, 2007
    Thanks for your responce. I'm going to make another appointment with the vet. Bandits eyes are bright and clear and he seems to see well enough to get around without any problem its the juding of distances, or as you put it depth perseption that he seems to have a problem with. I have another kitty with special needs, her front leg/paw was deformed at birth, (I have yet to get a site up for her...) but I have never encountered this kind of behavior in a cat before. (I have owned cats even since my birth. My first cat even use to sleep in my crib with me lol...) So I was a little worried. Thanks again for your input. I'll leave an update once we here more from the vet.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 28 June, 2007
    Good luck at the vet Bandit! Would love an update afterwards!