Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Flea killers for carpet and beds that are safe for cats?

Lisa BLisa B Western WashingtonMember Posts: 129
edited 30 June, 2007 in Cat Health
So... We have fleas. :( We had a visitor who owned a cat who had fleas and brought it to our house. Boo. Meowmy has taken these steps: -Giving us a flea bath -Administering Advantage on us -Doing all the laundry -Cutting up a flea collar and putting it in the vacuum bag -Vacuumed EVERY square inch of the carpet -Threw away the bag outside She's completely disgusted by germs and seeing that flea on her sent her over the edge yesterday! Now she wants to spray something on the carpet, couch, etc to make sure that EVERYONE of those fleas are OUT of our house. Can anyone give her a brand that works, is safe for cats, and something she can pick up today (instead of ordering it online)? Also, after meowmy put Advantage on us behind the neck, some of it dripped to the side where I could reach with my tongue, she didn't think I could. She's not sure how much I licked off but will the Advantage still be effective on me? Thanks everycat! :-h

Comments

• Christa SielskiChrista Sielski ChattanoogaMember Posts: 1,650
    edited 29 June, 2007
    Hi Kale!! I sent another post on my forum for flea medication advice. Be sure to have your mommy keep an eye on you for signs if you licked some of it off. If you start having problems have your mommy take you to the vet or call one. But I'll post the name of the spray we have again here. :D ACE Flea & Tick Killer For Pet and Home Use around the home and on dogs & cats Kills on contact It should be in the insecticide section of the store. Just make sure you read the entire back label first and you should be good!! ;)
  • Lisa BLisa B Western WashingtonMember Posts: 129
    edited 29 June, 2007
    Luca- Thanks for letting us know about your successes in the flea war! In both this thread and yours. :) I didn't want to stray away from your question on your thread so I decided to post a new one.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 29 June, 2007
    Siphotrol Area treatment spray (made by Vet Kem). Do not use flea bombs...they don't work. Whatever product you decide to use, make sure to repeat vacuuming and treatment in 2 weeks. The pupa stage of the flea will hatch in about 2 weeks.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 30 June, 2007
    Hope you found something by now, but just in case you haven't... Mommy swears by Zodiac's brand of sprays to disinfect the carpet and all upholstery that can't be washed in a washer/dryer. They contain chemicals that kill adult fleas, and PreCor, which is a hatch retardant so that any egg fleas that have not hatched yet will not hatch for up to six months (which gives you plenty of time to keep vacuuming enough so they come lose and get sucked out of the carpet). When mommy and I had the same problem, she asked around for advice and was told by the lady that ran the rescue group who raised me that she uses it for her own home, and she hosts anywhere between 6-20 cats there at a time, so even 1 single flea in her home would be one too many! The lady also said she sprays the spray once a year in her home for good measure, and she hadn't had fleas in years, but we're not sure if we'll go that far. She buys hers at Petco, which is where we found ours. Basically the application start to finish takes about 3 hours. You vacuum the carpets throughly, spray the carpet, then leave with the kitties for 2 hours, come back home and air the place out for a few minutes before returning your pets there. Meanwhile you treat the kitties too (mommy's vet highly reccomends Revolution, because it also takes care of many other parasites that can affect cats), so they can't be a source of re-infestation. Needless to say, whatever you end up using, you do not leave your pets in the same area that is being treated. There is no such thing as a spray that kills fleas but does not have any effect on pets. Even low level pesticide formulations can be deadly if they cross the path of kitties who are highly susceptible to them, so it's better to err on the safe side. Of course this might mean having to treat the carpet room by room, and closing the doors to the affected areas so that the cats don't go nose around them. When we had to treat our apartment, mommy decided to treat all the carpet and upholstered furniture all at once, so she crated me up, vacuumed throughly, put the crate next to the door (non-carpeted entry way), went to spray the carpets, and then we both left for 3 hours to go somewhere else. When we came back, I waited in the car while she went in, opened the windows, and then ran right back to me to wait about 15 minutes. We could tell the fleas were gone right away, both mommy and I slept better than we had in days (they must have been nipping her too!:-O) , and I eventually forgave mom for having me go into the crate while we waited in the car for the carpet to air out. :( Anything that is washable can be treated by washing it in really hot water, and then drying on the highest dryer setting you have. The heat between the two of them should kill anything on your clothes, on your blankets and sheets, and so forth. Mommy can't ever remember doing so much laundry all at once! MOL. Good luck!
  • Lisa BLisa B Western WashingtonMember Posts: 129
    edited 30 June, 2007
    Kale and Xavier\'s mom here: Thanks Hunter! I\'ve heard really good things about Siphotrol Area but couldn\'t find any place around here that carried them without having to order it which would have taken too long. :( And thank you Boris! We sprayed EVERYTHING yesterday (not with Zodiac, something else but the name escapes me at the moment) and put the two cats in the cars, separately since Kale likes roaming around the car and dad has a truck so a contained area wouldn\'t be a good idea. We aired out the house but this morning found that one of them had puked. I am not sure if this was because maybe we brought the cats in too fast after airing out the house or that Kale\'s Advantage had dripped down where he could lick it off but right now we are monitoring both of them, just in case that this is a more serious problem. Now I\'m getting worried about them. :-k And the laundry part, after 3 days, we are STILL doing laundry!! :-/ I want to be done with it today!! Thanks everycat! We couldn\'t have done it without all of your advice! Hopefully now we won\'t have anymore fleas!