Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Litter issues

Mandi JonesMandi Jones DelandMember Posts: 273
edited 2 July, 2007 in Cat Health
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. Our litter box is in our garage and i have 4 cats. There is always a ton of litter scattered around the box and I'm starting to notice that they are bringing in litter to the house. I am finding it in our bed and i don't like that. Our cat Hendrix also likes to jump in the window int he kitchen and everyday I find litter pieces and it grosses me out since it's our kitchen. I was looking at these grate type things that you put around the box that is supposed to catch the litter b/c it spreads their toes open. Has anyone tried this? They are kind of expensive and I would need two of them. Right now I have mats around their box but the litter just sticks to the mat and it's a mess and obviously doesn't get it off their paws. Can anyone recommend something? thank you.

Comments

• Jenny FirthJenny Firth ChicoMember Posts: 772
    edited 30 June, 2007
    A covered litter box may help out a little. It leaves one door, and cats have to lift their paws to get out. It might also help to put a door mat out side of the litter box, the type that is made with grass, so the litter gets pulled out of your paws! Then you can vacuum it out every week or so.
  • Mandi JonesMandi Jones DelandMember Posts: 273
    edited 30 June, 2007
    The grass type of mat sounds like a good idea! I will be picking up a couple today! Thanks. =;
  • Lisa BLisa B Western WashingtonMember Posts: 129
    edited 30 June, 2007
    Hey! We have a grass type of mat outside of our covered litter box. Since I like to paw outside of the litter box instead of covering up my poo inside of it, I always end up pawing at the mat which gets 90% of the litter out of my paws. As for my brother, he likes to get out of the litter box, step on the mat, then shake all four of his paws and gets litter all over the floor!! I guess that solves the problem too. But when we got our grass type of mat the first time, we had a really rough feeling mat (the plastic didn't really bend when we stepped on it) so we really didn't like it but at the local pet store here had a softer one and that worked out a lot better. Good luck!
  • Adrienne HynekAdrienne Hynek Burlington, MAMember Posts: 10
    edited 2 July, 2007
    I have a plastic mat outside my litter box, which seems to catch the litter as I step out. The grass mats sound great, as well. Of course, there's always a bit that gets off that mat, but it doesn't go too far into the house that it annoys my parents. I have been eyeing a new litter box that requires me to walk up a ramp, and therefore not get any litter out...but mom says it's a bit expensive for now. Good luck!
  • Adrienne HynekAdrienne Hynek Burlington, MAMember Posts: 10
    edited 2 July, 2007
    I have a plastic mat outside my litter box, which seems to catch the litter as I step out. The grass mats sound great, as well. Of course, there's always a bit that gets off that mat, but it doesn't go too far into the house that it annoys my parents. I have been eyeing a new litter box that requires me to walk up a ramp, and therefore not get any litter out...but mom says it's a bit expensive for now. Good luck!