Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Can you tell if a cat is in pain?

Edris TauberEdris Tauber SacramentoMember Posts: 1,154
edited 1 July, 2007 in Cat Health
My 18 year old cat friend ( not on catster) has been failing lately, she has lost a lot of waight, and seems very frail. She walks very slowly and seems unsteady. She sleeps most of the time, eats very little, but does drink her water. I am hoping she is not in pain, but how can we tell? Can you cats help?

Comments

• Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 30 June, 2007
    Manifestations of pain are highly variable in animals. Some signs are obviously related to pain, while others are more subtle. The individual personality of the animal and its tolerance for pain also affect the clinical manifestations of pain. Animals in pain often present with a wide variety of signs. Some signs that are associated with pain include the following: -Altered behavior – quieter than normal, avoidance of other animals or people, hiding, aggressive behavior, fear biting, mental dullness and depression, agitation, restlessness, pacing -Altered movement or gait – lameness, reluctance to move, reluctance to get up, wobbliness, abnormal carriage or use of one or more legs, stiffness -Vocalization – meowing, howling, moaning, groaning, absence of purring -Decreased or lack of appetite (anorexia) -Increased respiratory rate -Increased heart rate -Shock, collapse Sounds like you need to go in for an annual exam and bloodwork. Although your symptoms could be signs of old age, there are metabolic diseases that affect older cats that have some of the same symptoms as you are showing. (Hyperthyroidism, kidney disease). http://www.petplace.com/cats/pain-in-cats/page1.aspx
  • Alison KochAlison Koch Coopersburg PAMember Posts: 5
    edited 30 June, 2007
    As long as you know your cat, you will be able to tell if your cat is in pain. My experience has been that they will not let you touch them, or if you do, their meow is a lot different from the usual. My Eeyore was failing, but did not mind being loved and petted. She never once changed her meow when we went to love her. I do know of a cat, who would not let me touch her down her spine. She cried, and I knew something was really wrong. It turns out she had a tumor on her spine. She went to the Rainbow Bridge, which was the best thing for her. Good luck, and I will keep you in my prayers.
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 1 July, 2007
    Your friend is old and, in old cats and dogs and people, eating lessens and so does activity. It is the body's way of slowing down in preparation for the final journey to the bridge. If the cat is still letting people touch it or is still trying to seek out companionship then it is probably not in pain...it is just very tired. Give it all the love you can.