Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Ice cream for cats?

Judy LinJudy Lin New YorkMember Posts: 33
edited 5 July, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Mommy brought some ice cream for herself lately and I\'m so curious about it. I keep trying to steal licks of it but mommy is afraid that with my sensitive tummy I won\'t be able to digest ice cream. So I want to know does anyone know if there is ice cream just for cats and where can you buy some?

Comments

• Betsy DecillisBetsy Decillis ColumbusMember Posts: 71
    edited 3 July, 2007
    My nana lets her kitty eat ice cream all the time. Just ask your mommy to give you a few licks. That will probably satisfy your curiousity and won't be too much for your belly. I have a sensitive belly and I seem to be okay with the few licks I get of my beer.
  • ashlee silveiraashlee silveira colchester (c-town)Member Posts: 3
    edited 3 July, 2007
    before giving me any human food, my mommy read up on what kinds of foods would be bad for me to eat and she found this: human foods to absolutely avoid for cats: onions, garlic and related root veggies, tomatoes and green potatoes, chocolate, grapes and raisins, and pork. these foods are toxic to us because of substances and things that are in them. things that may play with our digestive systems are things like artificial flavorers and sweeteners, and milk in large amounts, but other than that anything is okay in small amounts, as long as human food doesn't make up more than 10% of our diets. i looove those Goldfish and cooked chicken
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 4 July, 2007
    http://www.coolclaws.com/ Cool Claws, ice cream for cats. Most cats are lactose intolerant, so even a small amount of dairy could cause vomiting and/or diarrhea.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 4 July, 2007
    This is Delyte. I live for Breyer's vanilla ice cream! I don't get it often and then I usually just get to lick the bottom of bowls, but it's wonderful. My person uses it as an index of how well I am--if I won't eat it, I gotta go to the vet. Breyer's does make a lactose free ice cream, but they don't use the natural vanilla in it so it is not nearly as good. We've never heard of Kitty Claws ice cream. I really don't like other kinds of ice cream as much, and my person likes to have this ice cream with peanut butter and chocolate in it now, which I hate, so there's not enough. Purrs to you all! Off to sit by the freezer and cry because I know there is some in there today!
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 5 July, 2007
    last night mom got a vanilla milkshake from a small local drive in. she had a bit melted in the bottom and so she dumped it in our bowl and we licked it all up.