Will milk hurt an older cat?

Beverly HixBeverly Hix Osage CountyMember Posts: 48
edited 12 July, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
My neighbor has cared for an outside feral cat for many years. She estimates the cat to be over twelve years old. Her teeth is getting bad and she won\'t eat soft food, but my friend started giving her a little milk, Now she begs for it and we worry if it\'s good for her as we\'ve heard that you shouldn\'t give cats milk.

Comments

• Autumn GessertAutumn Gessert Amarillo, TXMember Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited 8 July, 2007
    A lot of adult cats are lactose intolerant and their tummies can't handle cow's milk. It would be hard to tell with an outdoor cat... Not ALL cats are lactose intolerant, though -- there are four of us here, and 3 of us can handle some milk occasionally, but little Buster really cannot have it. There is that CatSip stuff, its a kind of special milk for kitties. Plus there are kitten formulas, like KMR. That might be easier on the kitty's stomach. I've seen those at PetSmart. Hope this helps, Tommy
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 9 July, 2007
    I am 11 and used to enjoy the occasional treat of left over cereal milk. I can no longer handle it. My tummy gets really upset if I have just the smallest amount of cows milk. Mom gets me the Catsip as a treat and I love that.
  • Patty StephensPatty Stephens BostonMember Posts: 197
    edited 9 July, 2007
    Wiskas has a cat milk out also. Mom used to give this to me when I was very sick. Petsmart sells it.
  • Karyn LehmannKaryn Lehmann redlandsMember Posts: 247
    edited 12 July, 2007
    cow milk has a protien chain too long for a kitty to break down + all the lactose is no good for kitty. If you want to do a special cold treat try plain yogurt. or goats milk.