Purina & Whiskas

Holly RachelleHolly Rachelle Member Posts: 1,896
edited 16 July, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
So mom has different ages and different breeds of cats in the house and wanted to know if what she is feeding us is okay, she feeds us: Purina Complete Formula For All Ages Whiskas Variety Pouchs (the box with 12 in it) Is this okay for Me & Nala & Simba? If not what do you suggest that is better for us but not expensive?

Comments

• kirsty pengellykirsty pengelly LondonMember Posts: 852
    edited 10 July, 2007
    well nala and simba should really be on a food for kittens until they are at least 10 months as kitten food is made just to help them get all they need while they are growing up. as for whiskas if you check the ingrediants its only 4% meat. not good. my mums taking me off it as soon as i've finished my last box of pouches. try looking up www.nutrience.com i don't know what the prices like as my mum has not looked at it herself yet
  • Holly RachelleHolly Rachelle Member Posts: 1,896
    edited 10 July, 2007
    *bump* %:D%
  • Candy AndersonCandy Anderson Member Posts: 503
    edited 11 July, 2007
    Ohh theres much better foods out there for your mews If you live Canada Orijen is good and you can feed it to both your kittens, middle and old aged cats lol Theres also Wellness, Natures Varity, Felindae and such yum yum for the tum.
  • Nicole FoxNicole Fox PawsvilleMember Posts: 3,777
    edited 11 July, 2007
    We eat Whiskas
  • Vanessa NielsonVanessa Nielson Member Posts: 21
    edited 12 July, 2007
    Just an FYI, you may want to give some of the more expensive foods a try and compare how quickly the food is consumed in comparison to the cheaper foods. A cat will eat until his/her nutritional needs are met, so if you are feeding him a food of low quality he will feel compelled to gorge more, whereas if you feed a high quality food he may not eat as much in quantity. For me, one 6.6 lb bag of Innova dry food lasts just as long as an 18 pound bag of Purina Indoor Formula, and there's only a $2 difference in price. As far as cheaper foods go, I have been told that Iams and Science Diet are both supposed to put out decent foods, but please get a second opinion before taking my word for it.
  • Julia HarrisJulia Harris Member Posts: 185
    edited 12 July, 2007
    Please please please do some reading on feline nutrition. Neither of these foods are worth the money you're paying for them. Sure they're cheaper than "good" foods, but you'll pay the price in the long run, as poor nutrition leads to a multitude of health problems down the road. (Health problems we don't often even attribute to diet becuase they've come so "normal" thanks to these types of foods) :(
  • Jennie-Carra AndriesJennie-Carra Andries Baton rougeMember Posts: 12
    edited 12 July, 2007
    Well mommy feeds me Nutro Natural Choice indoor weight management formula. It used to be a good food but ever since Proctor and Gamble bought it they screwed it all up. Mommy hopes to buy me Wellness or Innova when she gets enough money to buy it all the time. I used to eat Purina. Mommy noticed I was a lot hungrier a lot more often and I used the litterbox more often too. When she switched to Nutro she saw a big difference. I think that Whiskas pouches are ok as a treat once or twice a week. Us kitties love to eat wet food!
  • Phoebe HartPhoebe Hart Member Posts: 13
    edited 14 July, 2007
    Whiskas has been around for a long time; but it isn't really a good quality food for cats. It uses meat by-products (you should read up on what these are - yukk); corn gluten (an inferior protein source that cats do not digest well); and brewer's yeast (could cause UTI's to susceptible cats). Purina has been around a long time too; but it is also a so-so food. Becuase they are not high quality foods, you'll notice that your kitties will eat more or demand more food in order to get the essential nutrients their bodies crave for. So, feeding cheaper foods is really false economy becuase you will tend to go through more cans or bags than if you fed a higher-end cat food. When my momma used to feed me Friskies, I ate and ate and ate and my poop was always runny. I got fat but not enegetic. When she switched me to Natural Balance (before the recall), I only ate 1/2 to 2/3 of a 6oz can per day. And I no longer had runny poop. But now, I am on a raw diet, and that is even better. If you cannot go the raw feeding rout for your kitties, I suggest you try some of the higher end cat foods. Felidae is a good quality cat food and cheaper than the others in that class. One 13.5 oz can is around $1.40. Such a can wll feed me and my buddy Cato for two days. It is 11% protein; no by-products; no artificial preservatives; no menadione (artificial vit. K); no glutens of any kind; It has balanced omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids; cranberry for urinary track health and lots of other goodies. The dry kibble also goes a long long way and cheaper than other high-end kibble. Give it a try and see if your kitties will like Felidae. Best thing about Felidae is that it is made by a small provate kosher pet food manufacturer (Evanger's). Momma still gives us Felidae Platinum now and again as a supplement to our raw food. Yummy!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 July, 2007
    Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul is pretty decent for the price. It has better ingredients than most of the "supermarket" brands but isn't much more expensive (about $9 for a 6 lb. bag, or $1.50/lb., which is less than what the mom used to pay for Purina One).
  • Marta GasperMarta Gasper FairburyMember Posts: 636
    edited 14 July, 2007
    How about Fancy Feast canned? Mom thought she'd rather feed us FF, Purina & Hills SD b/c it got too expensive to pay postage if she bought food online. She can get FF and Purina locally and SD from the vet. Now with the rescues, she's getting Purina Kitten Chow for Lionel that's toothless (at least until his mouth heals, he loves FF and so we do all but now she hast to buy 4 to 5 boxes of FF ea week and a 50 lb of Purina + SD + SD hairball dry food. And some of our brofurs would eat the whole bag of dry food if you let them (1 is already fat) so she's wondering if she should maybe make a big order of premium food, if it should be more economical. She'll have to compare prices and make a budget for our food. In the meantime, how does FF rank as for daily feeding?
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 15 July, 2007
    Okay for the record, Fancy Feast isn't good food, it's often too rich for cats and gives them diarrhea. Science Diet is a no-no as they have found acetaminophen in their food and they HAVE NOT done a recall so beware! Iams food is a no-no as they have questionable labels - whats in their is not what they say is in their so you paying more for nothing. While i know it isn't good quality food Friskies is okay, check their labels, on SOME of them the first ingredient is actual meat - so choose those ones. It's inexpensive, has had no recalls, and its very moist so many cats love it. By all means if you can afford it there better brands out there but of the supermarket shop varieties available go with Friskies. The worst ones are 9 Lives, - although they do donate to shelters so mum can't hate them -, Alpo, Meow Mix, Whiskas, Alley Cat and Sheba. Sheba actually say on it's label that its meant as a treat not as cat food - weird.
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 16 July, 2007
    some premium brands if you order directly from their website the don't charge shipping. my cat's won't eat friskies but some love it. do you have a costco by chance? they sell an adult maitenance (no byproducts, corn etc). and it's about 12 dollars for 25 pounds. maybe felidae life stages would work well for you since your cats of are varying age. they should want to eat less and so in time it will balance out as actually being cheaper and they will be healthier.