Catnip safe?

Michelle MachenMichelle Machen McAllenMember Posts: 256
edited 11 July, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Mommy has been reading alot of recipes that call for catnip to be added for kitty treats and things. I am assuming that it would have to be dried catnip right? For some reason mommy has the idea that ingesting dried catnip is harmful to us kitties. I don't know why she thinks that but is it true? She wants to make us some homemade kitty treats with some catnip but is unsure... What do you know? :-k

Comments

• Autumn GessertAutumn Gessert Amarillo, TXMember Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited 10 July, 2007
    We have dried catnip a lot in our house (there are 4 of us, all different ages) Mom's been giving dried catnip to all her kitties for at least 25 years. Nobody has ever had any ill effects from it. Sometimes we roll in it, but we all eat it, too. I think it is safe. Purrs, Tommy
  • Tiffany McConnellTiffany McConnell OmahaMember Posts: 30,862
    edited 10 July, 2007
    Me thinks its safe. I eat my nip all the time.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 11 July, 2007
    Safe to eat!
  • Michele AshleyMichele Ashley Chattanooga/HixsonMember Posts: 3,161
    edited 11 July, 2007
    Its completely safe. We have dried and fresh catnip all the time. The fresh even calms my tummy when its upset.
  • Diane WallineDiane Walline Hamlin (suburb of Rochester)Member Posts: 500
    edited 11 July, 2007
    I loooove catnip! %:D% When I was a kitten it had no affect on me at all. But then last christmas when I was almost 2 she bought catnip still on the stem from PetSmart. I ate so much! I rolled around and drooled and eventually fell asleep in an empty box for HOURS! Its hard for me to convince mommy to let me have catnip now though because it makes Jewel really agressive. Mommy was having a tough time introducing us when Jewel first came here so mom would give us each treats and one day she gave us catnip. Jewel started attacking EVERYTHING and showing teeth! Since then moms tried catnip every once in a while and Jewel just attacks me as soon as she has some. One time mom got us some new mouseys and balls and she was careful and specifically bought a package that didnt advertise that it was made with catnip. Jewel started running around like crazy as soon as mom opened the package up. Daddy picked up a mouse and read the tag on it and it said that it was made with catnip even though the package didnt say so! OF course mom had to find all the catnip mouses and hide them on us. Every once in a while she will take one out for me to play with though! Ive never heard of catnip being bad for cats though, although im sure Jewel isn\'t the only cat who gets agressive with it.:-k
  • Michelle MachenMichelle Machen McAllenMember Posts: 256
    edited 11 July, 2007
    Great!! That's good news cause I am ready for my Catnip rush!! Mommy feels better giving it to us now!! %:D% Does anybody know of any cool kitty recipes using catnip? *purrs and headbonks* Phoenix
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 11 July, 2007
    Fresh catnip leaves are tasty :c9 My Human has a big pot of catnip for me. I'm not aware of any recipies using catnip but you can probably Google it.