Why do I eat grass and is there an alternative?

Alice HansenAlice Hansen ArvadaMember Posts: 12
edited 21 July, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Hi, Mommy is a bit upset with me because lately I've been eating grass (I am mostly indoor but I get to go outside now that I have a new backyard-I'm usually supervised). When I eat this grass I sometimes throw up on our new carpet. Why do I eat grass and is there something else that is like it that I could enjoy eating without the throwing up part? Please help....

Comments

• Alma (& Josh) Van DorpeAlma (& Josh) Van Dorpe ChicagoMember Posts: 49
    edited 11 July, 2007
    I don't know the answer to your question Harley. Just wanted to say that I do the same thing. Mom and dad can't have ANY plants in the house because I LOVE to eat them. And then I throw it all up...all over the carpet, the bed, the window sill, etc. I run around the house and leave little "presents" all over for mom and dad to find.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 11 July, 2007
    Hey: I take my meowmy for a walk twice a day, and eat grass every time. So far I have not thrown up. Meowmy said she remembers reading that if a cat does want to eat greens, you can purchase catnip greens which grow into a plant a cat can eat safely. Check at your locat PetsMart or PetCo. I do know some house plants are VERY dangerous to us kittes. Right now we do not have any plants because we are living in a FEMA trailer (meowmy lost four kitties in Hurricane Katrina). She did have an arrangement of silk flowers, but SOMEBODY (wonder who that could be), kept knocking in on the floor, so she took it to her office. If you do continue to throw up, might be a good idea to call your vet. Louis aka "The Wakin' Dude"
  • Ashley SkalaAshley Skala San FranciscoMember Posts: 92
    edited 11 July, 2007
    I wanted to offer this finding...I was curious about this myself. Though I don't eat grass since I don't have access to it, and never go outside. But I found this to possibly be the reason and their advice, of course: ask your vet. Lots of humans say cat's eat grass to make themselves throw up if their stomach is upset...but I'm not sure that's ever really been proven. http://www.provet.co.uk/petfacts/healthtips/grass.htm or http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/nutritioninformation/f/FAQ_eatgrass.htm Hope this helps!
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 11 July, 2007
    It is thought that felines eat grass to sooth an upset tummy or they just like the taste of grass. Outside grass is not good to eat because it has sharp blades and maybe covered with bacteria and fertizlier and icky, bad things. Your Human can grow you special kitty grass inside. My Human always has a pot of kitty grass and catnip for me to munch on. You can buy pots of grass in pet stores or buy kitty grass seeds. Kitty grass is usally a mix of barely, oat, and wheat grasses. These are ok for us to eat.
  • Jennie-Carra AndriesJennie-Carra Andries Baton rougeMember Posts: 12
    edited 11 July, 2007
    I like to eat grass too. I do it to get rid of anything in my tummy thats not supposed to be there, like a bunch of hair. I eat the grass to make myself throw up. Also, us cats have a natural urge to eat plant matter. You might want to ask your mommy if she can grow you your own pot of wheat grass. That way she knows that there is no pesticides or animal pee on it and it is safe for me to eat!
  • Alice HansenAlice Hansen ArvadaMember Posts: 12
    edited 11 July, 2007
    Thank you all for your advise. Mommy said she would try the inside cat grass which she has seen at Petsmart. If I keep throwing up she'll consult our vet. Also she just has to keep me away from the outside grass which she is trying to teach me not to eat by telling me no. Sometimes I listen....
  • Vanessa NielsonVanessa Nielson Member Posts: 21
    edited 12 July, 2007
    I eat the indoor kitty grass and never have a problem. Also, some brands of cat grass will give you different directions. The Girl (she's not my mommy, she's just The Girl)used to buy a particular brand which had directions stating the grass should only be watered once, but it really lasts longer if watered multiple times (no, really?). So, take all directions with a grain of salt. Just an FYI, if memory serves, The Girl read somewhere that lilies are deathly poisonous to cats. So, if you happen to grow lilies, please be careful!
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 12 July, 2007
    Kitty grass isn't hard to grow. If you get a plant, just water daily. If you get seeds, plant it in non-fertilizer potting soil and water with plain water. When the seeds sprout, water daily.
  • Lisa BLisa B Western WashingtonMember Posts: 129
    edited 13 July, 2007
    We like grass too but we don't go outside and mommy buys us barley/wheat grass from our local pet store. On their description of it, it says that it helps with our digestive system and hairballs. We're not sure if that's true but we know that it tastes yummy!! :)
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    edited 14 July, 2007
    Mom either buys cat grass for us or grows it herself. It is very easy to grow. When she forgets to supply us with fresh grass, I eat the houseplants. I crave the greens so much that when we get a new pot of grass, I will eat the whole thing until I throw up. Mom has to watch me and take it away when she thinks I had enough!!
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 21 July, 2007
    Isabelle goes outside most days in the summer (supervised) and ALWAYS eats grass. She gets rather frantic about it if she hasn\'t been out for a few days. If she eats more than a bite or two, she will predictably throw up, so I keep her outside until she has gotten sick. I really think it\'s an instinct thing to \"cleanse\" the digestive system. After she gets sick, she is totally fine and doesn\'t feel ill past the actual event of throwing up. Cats are weird. :)