Curious

Susan MinnichSusan Minnich HillsboroMember Posts: 97
edited 27 July, 2007 in What I Love About Catster
Why do some cats decide to have so many friends, like a thousand? They could put them in their corral instead and still be able to find them later. Is it really fun to have a longer friend list? I understand that when adding whole families it adds up...But 1000? I am just curious about the motivation not judging. I can see how having lots of members in group would be more fun but I don't see why it's so fun to have a huge friends list. Perhaps they enjoy it because high-speed internet makes the list easy to view. Some cats don't have that.

Comments

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 July, 2007
    I guess the big advantage of having a lot of friends on your list is that since your pages are cross-linked, members who visit their pages are more likely to come to yours, too--and vice versa! That way, you have more chances to meet even more awesome Catsters!=; A lot of members also use their Friends list to see who's online so they can meow with them through the Instant Messenger. |^| As far as I know, the record holder for most friends on Catster is Louis LeBeau, who, as of 1:37am Catster time this morning, has 40,655 friends. He might be a good one to ask about the advantages of having a massive friends list! :))
  • Christine UnversawChristine Unversaw EvanstonMember Posts: 3,321
    edited 13 July, 2007
    I'm in the process of trying to make friends with EVERY cat on catster. I think having a huge friends list is great because you can see who's on and get to know alot of catsters. You can't ever have too many friends!
  • TRACY YOUNGTRACY YOUNG New YorkMember Posts: 6,538
    edited 13 July, 2007
    It seems to me that if your intention is to see every single cat on Catster, all you have to do is go to Catster, not have each one sub-listed on your page\'s friend list. Also, some cats sign you up as soon as you join. Then you never hear from them. Very strange. I think there is a certain amount of status involved with having a HUGE friend list, and a zillion rosettes. It doesn\'t make much sense to me. After a while, what\'s special? I\'m sure I will be flamed heartily for this. :)):)):))
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 July, 2007
    Ray, I think you're probably right that there is a certain element of putting a cat's popularity on display by amassing friends, rosettes, stars, etc. Nothing wrong with that, though--to each her/his own! :) I believe that the point of sending friend requests to the newest members is to be listed at the top of their Friends list so that your link will be on their main page. That helps bring more visitors (and potential new friends) to your page. ;)
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 13 July, 2007
    I would say that I have a fair amount of friends. I ask a lot of kitties to be friends because I know how much I like it when a kitty notices me or one of my sisters and wants to be friends with us. Everykitty wants to feel special and have friends, especially if they are new to the site.
  • Susan MinnichSusan Minnich HillsboroMember Posts: 97
    edited 21 July, 2007
    Reading all your responses was very interesting. Ray for some reason the first thing you said about not needing to sublist all the cat\'s on Catster in your friend\'s list made me lol Of course you didn\'t put it in those exact words but I it made me laugh :D I think it\'s definitely true that some Catsters have a huge list as a result of befriending new cats in order to get plenty of profile clicks. I also agree that some cats want a lot of friends so that there will always be someone around to email or talk to.
  • Tiffany McConnellTiffany McConnell OmahaMember Posts: 30,862
    edited 21 July, 2007
    I've got over 2000 friends on my page, and recently peaked 10,000 views!!! %:D% It was a goal of mine to get 2000 friends. I love having lotsa pals, and its great meeting new kits from all over the world!! (and Human has to much time on her hands - MOL!)
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 27 July, 2007
    :)) I've only got 365 friends. . .one for every day of the year! and over 7245 views .. . I don't know if that's good for almost three years or not, but I see some kitties who have been on almost as long with only a few friends and only 100+ views