Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Rescue Remedy Flower Essence

Lindsay PoveromoLindsay Poveromo Winter SpringsMember Posts: 350
edited 23 July, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Is anyone familiar with homeopathic medicine, specifically Rescue Remedy which is a flower essence by Dr. Bach? It was recommended to us to use on Jagger, and so I put a few droplets into her food today right before she ate it. She ate it (all) and I'm not noticing a difference. She still darted right for the bed and hid under it. She's been doing this a lot, freaking out and hiding under the bed. Am I doing it wrong? Is it most effective when placed on the gums like I've read? How frequently can it be used?

Comments

• TRACY YOUNGTRACY YOUNG New YorkMember Posts: 6,538
    edited 18 July, 2007
    We just started using it in our household, so we can\'t really say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: ust started using it in our household, so we can\'t really say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: started using it in our household, so we can\'t really say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: ted using it in our household, so we can\'t really say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: using it in our household, so we can\'t really say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: g it in our household, so we can\'t really say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: in our household, so we can\'t really say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: our household, so we can\'t really say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: household, so we can\'t really say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: ehold, so we can\'t really say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: d, so we can\'t really say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: o we can\'t really say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: can\'t really say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: \'t really say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: really say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: ly say from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: ay from experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: rom experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: experience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: rience, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: ce, but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: but I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: I can\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: n\'t imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: imagine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: gine it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: it would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: would work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: d work that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: rk that quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: hat quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: quickly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: kly. With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: With any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: h any behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: y behavior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: havior modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: or modification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: odification--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: ication--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: ion--and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: -and any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: any herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: herbal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: bal remedy--it takes time and patience. Anyway, here\'s some more information: rformation: rescuation: rescue ren: rescue remedy
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 18 July, 2007
    I would give it two to three weeks before you decide if it works or not. There are also other flower essences that can be combined if the Rescue Remedy combination is not working. You can mix three or four of them based on your kitty's personality and needs. However, do give it a few weeks before you change. You might also try Feliway diffuser in conjunction with the Bach remedies. I think you have to get them at the vet's office, but I could be wrong. That's where we get ours. Honestly, the one we have is supposed to keep Binks from yowling all night, which if anyone knows us, knows that it doesn't work. But I think for your situation, it might work well.
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 18 July, 2007
    you can get feliway at a petsmart or petco too. they also just came out with same concept, different brand of those as well.
  • Kristen MaranciakKristen Maranciak PittsburghMember Posts: 560
    edited 19 July, 2007
    We started using Rescue Remedy and the feliway diffuser about a year or so ago because I was spraying. Mommy puts rescue rememdy in our water. It did take sometime for it to work. You could also look for a Holistic vet in your area and they should be able to create a spray for your specific needs. Just make sure they are what they say they are because certain "natural" remedies can be dangerous for kitties. Purrs Buddha
  • Phoebe HartPhoebe Hart Member Posts: 13
    edited 19 July, 2007
    I calm down a bit when meowmie gives me some Rescue Remedy... just a tad. But my little apprentice Cato becomes almost catatonic... trully comical to watch... he lays down on the floor like he is in ecstasy with a dreammy look in his eyes... silly twit, I always thought. Meowmie gives Rescue Remedy to us when she knows there is an event about to take place that may cuase us to stress out. She pours 2 or 3 teaspoons of spring water in a cup. Then she puts in 3 - 4 drops of rescue remedy in it. Then she siphons the mixture into an oral syringe and administers it to us directly into our mouths... hayy-yay-yay... but we\'re used to her squirting water into our mouths so we don\'t mind. She gives me 1 teaspoon of the mixture and 1 teaspoon to Cato. Then Cato goes all dreammy. Me? I am more dignified... but I do admit it kinda makes me feel all warm and snoozy. I like it. I have seen Meowmie take a couple of drops herself when she feels stressed out.
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 July, 2007
    Mom was told about Rescue Remedy from a Doggy Whisperer. She recommended it for our sister Amber. She told Mom to put 2 - 3 drops in the community water bowl every day for 2 weeks. It worked awesome for Amber. We were also more relaxed. Whenever there is stress in the house, Mom will put it in the water for a few days.
  • TRACY YOUNGTRACY YOUNG New YorkMember Posts: 6,538
    edited 20 July, 2007
    Could someone please put some Rescue Remedy in my last post.:))
  • dace krastsdace krasts SeattleMember Posts: 735
    edited 23 July, 2007
    My person has tried Rescue Remedy and a number of other "calming" remedies on me when it's time for me to travel. All of them are an absolute joke...for me. When it's time to get in the crate, then in the car, and go anywhere, I can get very upset. For the first 10-30 minutes, then I'm a good girl. During those first 10-30 minutes, I drive my person and everyone else crazy. I hate the start of a trip, then I get in to the groove and do great. My person takes the rescue remedy for themselves though when it's time for us to travel together. If the person calms, then I take their cue and calm too. That rescue remedy didn't work on my dog either. We laugh at some of those things my person tries giving us. What might be better for you is a single flower essence rather than a mixture, which is what rescue remedy is. Your constitution may call for one item in particular but you'll need an experienced vet familiar with this modality to help determine what's appropriate for your constitution and your needs. Stay cool!