Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Kitty won\'t eat or drink!

Brianna LeiBrianna Lei Member Posts: 10
edited 19 July, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
I found a kitten (Bowser) in a bush yesterday. However, she won't drink water. I've tried pretending to drink from her shallow dish, force feeding her with an eyedropper, putting ice cubes in it, and even dunking her face into it. Anyone got ideas on how to make her drink? She also won't eat moist, chunky cat food, even when the meat is chopped into minute pieces. All she'll eat is the meat juice. I figure she's around four weeks old, since she can already walk alright. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 18 July, 2007
    She might still need to be fed milk replacement from a bottle. She sounds like she is sooooo tiny. Also, she might have an URI, keeping her from being able to smell the food. I would take her to a vet ASAP because she is so small and fragile. He/she will be able to check for illness and give you the best recommendation for feeding her. She's got to get nutrition and liquids soon. Good for you for taking her in. I hope you keep her!
  • Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
    edited 18 July, 2007
    You need to please take her to a Vet. Kittens this young can be very fragile and there could be lot's of issues. Sounds like she's too young to be separated from her Mom, so, please do have her Vet checked. Bless you for helping her.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 18 July, 2007
    Don't dunk her face in the bowl :-O Not only will she not like it, she may struggle and breathe in the water. Getting water into the lungs is very bad. Try bottle feeding her with KMR, a milk replacer. Any pet store wil have KMR and little feeding bottles. 4 week old kittens aren't old enough to eat solid foods so you need to feed milk replacer until about 6 weeks old and then slowly introduce solid food. Ask a vet for suggestions, too.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 18 July, 2007
    Yeah, kittens don't wean until they're 8-12 weeks old. Even though she's walking around on her own, her tummy is not ready to break down solid food yet. This poor kitten needs milk and probably needs it immediately. Going by the bio you put up for Bowser, she might have been left behind by her momma cat to fend for herself, which means she hasn't had anything to eat for days. Please take her to the vet as soon as you can because she is probably starving/dehydrated, and might need attention beyond being fed formula. :( *crosses paws*
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 18 July, 2007
    Let us know what happens with Bowser. If you need help finding a vet let me know.
  • Brianna LeiBrianna Lei Member Posts: 10
    edited 18 July, 2007
    I just tried KMR and she really likes it =) Thanks for suggesting it! We\'re getting to the vet tomorrow, by the way.
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 18 July, 2007
    YEAH! Bowser will need to eat every few hours so it is going to take a lot of effort! Especially depending upon how long she has been on her own without her mommy!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 18 July, 2007
    Yay! Keep us posted on her progress.
  • Vanessa NielsonVanessa Nielson Member Posts: 21
    edited 19 July, 2007
    I posted some suggestions here, but it seems that everyone else already tackled them. Anyhow, I'm glad it's going well with the bottle feeding! I hope the vet visit also goes well! Oh, also, it sounds like you were trying to feed her the soft food that is cut up into meat chunks? Is that right? I think that might be a bit harsh on her digestive system, when you try to switch her over. Maybe, once you try weaning her, you should try one of the wet foods that's ground so that it's all one consistency? Just a thought. Once again, congratulations!
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 19 July, 2007
    You can mush up some canned food with KMR and slowly wean your kitten onto it. Methinks most kitten canned food is loaf or ground style. You can use a spoon to msuh up the food even more so that the kitten can eat it.
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu Miami Fl,Member Posts: 883
    edited 19 July, 2007
    She might be to tinny to eat or drink try giving her kmr kitten milk in an eyedropper:q