Will I Appreciate Company?

Janelle StokesJanelle Stokes ChristchurchMember Posts: 28
edited 7 August, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
My human, J, has decided that she wants to get another cat so we're asking for other opinions on whether or not it is going to be good for me. I am an easygoing neutered male, 2.5 yrs old, and take things in my stride. I grew up with many other cats on a farm for the first 10 months of my life. I spent 3 weeks in a cattery where I ignored the other cats there for the most part even though they hissed at me. Earlier this year I was told to live with two other cats who were brought into the house one day after I was. Three days later I was carefully allowed to meet the other cats if I wanted, and I tried to sniff at them and take an interest but they wanted nothing to do with me and after a while I got tired of that and just ignored them to spend time with my humans instead. Outdoors I lead a double-life. I suss out all the cats in the neighbourhood. I cause mischief playing terrorise the scaredy cats, and I defend my territory from neighbouring cats with a mean tooth and claw and come out the other side with nary a loose patch of fur. My real territory is outdoors. Indoors belongs to my humans and just happens to be mine by default since the humans belong to me. =) The indoors is not very big even though we had three cats total to begin with (I am the only cat here now). Will bringing in a new 7 month old male kitten just annoy me? J says she will give us lots of time to get used to each other before we meet and that I won't get any less attention than before. I think she hopes I will bond with a new cat so we can keep each other company while everyone is at work all day. I don't know if I would be happy with sharing my playtime and attention with a newcomer. At least with the other cats they had their own human to get attention from and I didn't have to compete. What do you think?

Comments

• Irene CoughlinIrene Coughlin Jamaica,Queens, New YorkMember Posts: 160
    edited 19 July, 2007
    It really doesn't matter much what their age/gender are- but their tempermants. Shelters can usually match cats they have according to the type of lifestyle you have & the type of personality your resident cat has. Fostering may also be a good idea just as a temp way to see how your resident cat will get along-like I would give it 3-6 months, also foster different cats(maybe not all at once) to see which ones may get along better with your resident cat. Then the fostering can also lead to a potential adoption, but since you'll have the fostering experience it won't be a total shock to resident cat. The experts say the new cat should be of the opposite sex, younger, neutered/spayed-sexually immature, and if the resident cat is already declawed-yes, the new cat should also already have been declawed. We ( me & Sabrina) didn't have a "proper" introduction, either. They're both female, both spayed, and Sabrina my resident cat-younger than new cat Mush. 2yrs old vs. about 8-12 yrs old. We only adopted Sabrina 6-7 mos. before fostering & finally adopting Mush. We live in a studio apartment with mommy, not even a 1 bedroom, so there's just a room with a bathroom-the bathroom is very small. We let Sabrina sniff the carrier which contained Mush in it. For about a half hour they were able to get each other's scents. Mush was meowing inside the carrier. As soon as we took Mush out, Sabrina hissed. However mommy was comforted that the volunteer who brought Mush over stayed for about an hour or 2 to make sure things could run as smoothly as they would in a studio apartment. We then put Mush in the bathroom for the rest of the night w/ a litter box, Mush already ate before she came over. And Sabrina's toy (was put in w/ Mush) which we rubbed on Sabrina's face to give more opportunity to know Sabrina. And put Sabrina's litter box outside the bathroom. I then gave some treats to Sabrina outside of the bathroom while Mush was locked in the bathroom, so Sabrina could associate Mush w/ positivity=food! The next day I put Sabrina in the bathroom (with a towel that I had rubbed on Mush's face) for a few hours , and let Mush calmly explore her new surroundings. After that 1 night of seperation, they were together at night-everynight, I would set my alarm to wake up every 3 hours( I wasn't working) and my boyfriend does work and we live together, so I didn't want him to wake up so much, and I would check on the cats...it seemed really bad at first or maybe that's how I felt about it at the time-constant hissing & growling from Sabrina, Sabrina even became a little more agressive towards me & my boyfriend-not letting us pet her at all ( well, she was never a petting cuddly type,but when Mush was first adopted Sabrina wouldn't even let us pet her head she would raise her paw & scratch us before we could pet her, that was a temporary adjustment period though and does not do that sudden outburst of striking us with her paws anymore). Chasing Mush around the living room, BUT in retrospect it wasn't so bad and if I thought it was getting a little out of hand between them-I'd spritz them both w/ water bottle. They have never scratched, bitten or made each other bleed. They have pawed each other- but it hasn't been harmful, there's never any scratches, bite marks, or any type of wounds on either of them. Mush after the first week, learned to stand up to Sabrina by hissing at her and the fact that Mush is a very affectionate, non-confrontational cat has made Sabrina mellow out a little more, I feel. She sees Mush getting cuddled a lot and feels, maybe I should let them pet me more, if I want more/equal attention/treatment. She does let us pet her more, although we still can't cuddle with her...still don't like & maybe never will, but we are thankful we can pet her more for a longer period of time than used to be able to. They both get along well after 4 months of living together and only 1 night of seperation. They're not best friends yet, may never be- but can tolerate sitting & laying next to each other without both going into a hissy fit! They do lay together next to each other in 1 bed ( I have 1 bed for Sabrina as well as 1 bed for Mush, but sometimes Sabrina will be in her bed & Mush will go into it & snuggle with Sabrina & Sabrina is fine with it. Sometimes Mush will be in her bed and Sabrina will come into it and snuggle up against Mush & Mush is fine with it too) Even though such a short intro, & none of the ideal prerequisites in adopting my 2nd cat-much older & same sex as 1st cat; when looking back it wasn't as bad as I had felt at the time it may have been and I do not and am not reccommending anybody to introduce any animal to each other this way, but just wanted to share the fact that sometimes things work out. It was a little rough (Rough 3 weeks/1 month--which is amazing in itself that in such a small space & short time frame of 1 month they already adapted/learned to tolerate each other)- I needed to have a lot of love, patience, understanding and controlling myself from becoming over emotional from both of them being stand offish with each other for a long time, everyday in the beginning.However, when Mush first came into my home she was my foster kitty/who I decided to adopt, and so if things did get really bad or were not working out at all- I could've contacted the Foster Representative at my no-kill shelter, and she would have been taken back or found another more appropriate home. But follow your heart if you feel you can really fall in love with the other cat just as much as you already have with your first one. Do your best, and continue to give the first cat lots of attention- I realize that can be hard because you don't want to ignore the new cat, but you don't want the first cat to get too jealous either. Good Luck! =;
  • Janelle StokesJanelle Stokes ChristchurchMember Posts: 28
    edited 22 July, 2007
    Thanks for that. At the moment we're looking at cats between 7 months and 2 years old, but older would be better so we can be sure of personality. We're looking at rescue cats who were probably owned once upon a time and are more confident than strays. Hopefully we'll pick the right one for me.
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 2 August, 2007
    Don't forget to check out cats on catster too! And don't forget to spay them, it reduced aggression and improves their health!
    edited 2 August, 2007
    Thanks, Luka, but Catster can't help me as I live in New Zealand. Also, I am a big advocate of speutering. I assist a local Cat Rescue group in trying to prevent more stray colonies by getting people to agree to let us speuter their pets for them. =) I, myself, am a speuter, although I fathered one kitten before that.
    edited 3 August, 2007
    Here's a link for the Humane Society in new Zealand they have animals desperate for homes there! http://www.petsonthenet.co.nz/humanesociety.htm
    edited 3 August, 2007
    Here's one cutey boy who needs a home : http://www.petsonthenet.co.nz/ads/index.php?a=2&b=4758 And here's a bunch more from a NZ rescue group - http://www.catsinneedtrust.org.nz/kittens.html Hope this helps!!!!
  • michele guerreromichele guerrero Member Posts: 162
    edited 3 August, 2007
    Sometimes I want to get a second cat, but I am just not sure if Sasha would like it or not since it is only me and her. The first 3 months of her life she had her 1 sister with her, but she has probably forgotten all of that by now. She loves my attention and affection, but she does love to play so she may love to play with another cat. I really dont know. Well I dont want to get another cat right now, since I live in a 1 bedroom. If I do get a second cat I would rather wait till someday when I have a bigger place.
    edited 7 August, 2007
    Thanks for posting the Catster links everyone but I live in Christchurch in the South Island and all those links are for cats up in or near Auckland which is at the top of the North Island. It's not very practical! I am in touch with someone in Christchurch who runs a stray cat rescue group but her cats are not suitable to have with my cat. I have also been checking at the Christchurch Cats Protection League and have found a cat that I would really love to take home, so we are getting things ready for a trial. =) Thanks!