Getting kitten to drink from a bottle

robyn nrobyn n Member Posts: 234
edited 21 July, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
I posted in the rescue forum about a kitten I saved today. I got her milk and a bottle but all she does is chew on the bottle I tried squirting some drops in her mouth but she started choking and am to scared to try that again. I am going to take her to the vet in the morning. She is approx 4 weeks old. She is mewing loudly and I am sure she is starving. I am afraid if I don't get her to eat will be in for a long night.

Comments

• Michele AshleyMichele Ashley Chattanooga/HixsonMember Posts: 3,161
    edited 20 July, 2007
    At 4 weeks she might be wanting some solid food. Try kitten chow soaked in the replacement milk.
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 20 July, 2007
    You might also try a dropper instead of a bottle. Her little mouth might just be too small or she might be too weak to suckle.
  • robyn nrobyn n Member Posts: 234
    edited 20 July, 2007
    Thankyou Meekah! We have a full belly! She wouldn't taket it from a dish but she licked it off my finger quite well.:h:
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 20 July, 2007
    i found a syringe is much easier than a bottle.
    edited 20 July, 2007
    Your so welcome:D I am so glad her little belly is full.
  • robyn nrobyn n Member Posts: 234
    edited 20 July, 2007
    Now to get her to eat from something besides my finger.
    edited 20 July, 2007
    Sit by the bowl with her. Let her smell the food on your finger and then lead her face to the bowl. When she smells it she should make the connection that is the same food that is on your finger. Hopefully she will.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 21 July, 2007
    Try putting the food on a plate. When I was a kitten mom fed me from a paper plate and I ate really well. (I still do!)