Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

How long is is safe to leave out canned food?

Ashley SkalaAshley Skala San FranciscoMember Posts: 92
edited 22 July, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Mom got me over the first hump...actually eating soft cat food. But now she's not sure how long the food can be left out. She doesn't want to make me sick from leaving it out to long...and risking bacteria forming on the food. Does anyone know? :? Purrs MuShu |^|

Comments

• Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 20 July, 2007
    As long as it isn't raw, I think 6 hrs is a good time frame. I could be wrong, though. Mommy has never gotten to experiment with that because I gobble it up right away!!!!! I only get a 3 oz can each day that I "share" with Matilda.
  • Autumn GessertAutumn Gessert Amarillo, TXMember Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited 20 July, 2007
    Hi MuShu - Glad you're eating your soft food! It really is good, isn't it? Perishable food -- like the soft food -- should not be left out for more than 2 hours (I looked it up to be sure). Since you're still recovering, your mom might want to err on the safer side of that, say 1 1/2 hrs. It's just like people who've been/are ill, your mom is right -- you are more vulnerable to the bacteria. Hope this helps, Purrs, Tommy
  • Lisa BLisa B Western WashingtonMember Posts: 129
    edited 20 July, 2007
    MuShu- We've been on canned food for awhile too but meowmy only feeds us an amount where we will both eat all of it and finish it. But this is a very good question. I hope we find someone who knows the answer cause we would like to know too!
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 20 July, 2007
    Wish we could help you MuShu, but between my brothers Louis and Benny Grunch the pretty much eat any soft food meowmy puts down. She has put some in a separate bowl for me, as I do not run and put my face in a bowl. I take my time and eat like a lady. IF there is anything left, one of the outside cats will run inside as soon as meowmy opens the door and clean the bowls. Glad to read you are feeling better! Emma
  • Autumn GessertAutumn Gessert Amarillo, TXMember Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited 20 July, 2007
    I should be more clear -- the no longer than 2 hours thing is actually for people food -- so I know it would be safe for us. You may have a bit longer for us kitties! We gobble ours up immediately, too!
  • Ashley SkalaAshley Skala San FranciscoMember Posts: 92
    edited 20 July, 2007
    Thanks everycat! (Emma, thanks for the nice comment about me feeling better! I really am back to my old self again! I've even decided I wanted to learn to climb...mom said she'd upload some pictures. So I climbed our orange chair- it's my new favorite semi-high spot.) Thank you Tommy...for the info. I think mom feeds me a little too much that I don't finish. So she needs to work on not giving too much to eat at one time. Especially since kibble can sit out and soft food is more perishable. I'm still eating some kibble as well, but mom was pleased that I am eating soft food too. =; And yes I do think it tastes pretty good. She gave me some Innova Evo and there are a few others that I haven't tasted but are next on the menu!! YOM!
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 20 July, 2007
    Canned food doesn't spoil if left out. It might get a little dry, though. To keep canned food fresh longer, you can freeze the food and let it slowly thaw all day or you can buy a timed feeder that has an ice pack to keep the food cold.
  • Susan MinnichSusan Minnich HillsboroMember Posts: 97
    edited 22 July, 2007
    Hey MuShu, I found this article for you by googling about kitty food spoiling. The main tips that were good are: Serve canned food at room temperature, and Whole cans will spoil in above 65 deg. temp's. Do you know about those cute little canned cat food lid covers you can get? I love them for storing cans w/ leftovers in the fridge w/o causing everything to taste like catfood! I recommend them to you. -Purrs, Mr. Gray |^| From: http://cat.lifetips.com/cat/55494/cat-food-cat-nutrition/index.html "Food Temperature You may be tempted to heat your kittys leftover food in the microwave, but I don´t recommend this. My research says that cats should eat food that is room temperature. Any food that is too warm or too cold can cause intestinal troubles for your cat. However, leaving a whole can of food out of the refrigerator will cause it to spoil if your room temperature is above 65F or so. If you have a ´cold´ window, you can store the open can of food on the window sill with a tight fitting cover. This will at least keep the food cold enough to prevent spoilage, but allow the food to heat up faster. I heat a small amount of water (up to boiling) and then stir a couple of spoonfulls into the cold food. This will bring the temperature of the cold food up to something more satisfactory for your cat, without getting the food too hot. Note: You don´t want to add too much water, or your cat or kitten won´t care for the food."