Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

question for wet food only cats

Alma (& Josh) Van DorpeAlma (& Josh) Van Dorpe ChicagoMember Posts: 49
edited 30 July, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
How much and how often are you eating? We\'ve finally made the switch over to canned food only. We love it, but mom\'s having a tough time with feeding times. Right now she\'s feeding us 2 oz. each twice a day. So 4 oz. all together. But I\'m STILL HUNGRY. I think mom\'s getting tired of me biting her toes and fingers all the time (which I do when I\'m trying to tell her it\'s feeding time).

Comments

• kirsty pengellykirsty pengelly LondonMember Posts: 852
    edited 25 July, 2007
    have you checked the packaging to see if it has a reccommed amount?
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 25 July, 2007
    It's about calories, not how many oz you get fed. A moderately active cat should get about 30 kcals/pound of cat/day. An 18# cat (as it says on your page) should get about 540 kcals/day to maintain body weight. If you are not active then you will benefit from getting less calories (between 400-450 per day). If you need to lose weight then you need to get guidelines form your vet on how many calories/day you should consume. (Diets need to be taken really slowly in cats). Your cans should tell you how many kcals/can they contain. If this info is not on the can, then you need to contact the manufacturer for this information (some post it on their websites, others require a phone call). Once yo know how many calories/can or per oz., then you can determine how many cans of food you need per day. All canned food is not created equally.... I get 2/5 cup of dry food per day and one 5.5 oz can of food (split into 2 feedings) per day. This gives me the 380 calories a day I need (and I'm on a diet!).
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 25 July, 2007
    I get half a 5oz can for breakfast and dinner. For snacks, I get about half a 3oz can. I eat a mid-morning snack/lunch, one a few hours after dinner, and a midnight/very early morning snack. Felines do best with multiple small meals throughout the day. Having just two meals leaves us too hungry. I agree with what Hunter said about calories. If calorie content isn\'t listed on the can, you can use this handy food chart: canned food chart
  • Alma (& Josh) Van DorpeAlma (& Josh) Van Dorpe ChicagoMember Posts: 49
    edited 25 July, 2007
    Thanks Hunter & Merlin for your help. You two are always such a big help on these forums. :D
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu Miami Fl,Member Posts: 883
    edited 30 July, 2007
    Since It\'s four of you you have o eata 13.0 oz cana day and you will be fine the three of us eat two big cans a day Me Banana Split and Cookies n cream